Is it safe to upgrade my Mac OS to Mojave if using Wordfast Pro 5.6.0?
Thread poster: Q4forum2
Q4forum2
Q4forum2
Japanese to English
Oct 3, 2018

Hi, I am currently using Wordfast Pro 5.6.0 on an iMac with El Capitan.
I am thinking of upgrading my OS to Mojave.
Are there any issues I need to be aware of?
Has this PPT issue been resolved yet (other than the workaround)?
https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Mac-related_issues_in_Wordfast_Pro_5
The release notes for 5.6.0 make no mention of t
... See more
Hi, I am currently using Wordfast Pro 5.6.0 on an iMac with El Capitan.
I am thinking of upgrading my OS to Mojave.
Are there any issues I need to be aware of?
Has this PPT issue been resolved yet (other than the workaround)?
https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Mac-related_issues_in_Wordfast_Pro_5
The release notes for 5.6.0 make no mention of the issue under Known issues, but neither do they mention it under Fixed Issues
https://wordfast.com/support_release_notes#wfp5
Any other problems I might run into?
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

None to report Oct 3, 2018

I updated without worrying about this, use WF Pro daily and haven’t had any problems.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:40
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Before upgrading Oct 3, 2018

As with all major upgrades to the MacOS, it's advisable to give yourself a safety net so that you can try it out, and go back if you don't like it.

To do this you need to procure an external hard drive of the same capacity as your internal HD + 20% or more.

Then clone your entire hard drive to the external hard drive. The best way to do this is by using Carbon Copy Cloner
... See more
As with all major upgrades to the MacOS, it's advisable to give yourself a safety net so that you can try it out, and go back if you don't like it.

To do this you need to procure an external hard drive of the same capacity as your internal HD + 20% or more.

Then clone your entire hard drive to the external hard drive. The best way to do this is by using Carbon Copy Cloner.

https://bombich.com

CCC will give you a complete copy of your entire hard drive, on the external drive. If you need to, you can boot the computer from the external drive.

Having done that, install Mojave and try it for a while, some time when you're not going to be busy (e.g. on a weekend). Try all the usual tasks and applications you use. Run Wordfast and see if you're happy with it.

If you like all the changes, fine. If you don't, boot your computer from the external drive and clone the external drive back to your main internal drive.

This will take you back to exactly where you where.

You can repeat this process as many times as you want to.

Cloning your hard drive is something you should do regularly. I do it every day and it has saved my bacon quite a few times.

[Edited at 2018-10-03 07:25 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting

Q4forum2
Q4forum2
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dylan and Tom Oct 3, 2018

Dylan, Thanks for the reply.
Just to confirm: does WF Pro 5.6.0 accept not only Word, but also Excel and PPT files on Mojave without problem?

Tom, Thanks, good idea.
I already use Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner as backstops for when/if my computer fails, but I hadn't considered using CCC for downgrading the OS.
I had a look and found the instructions h
... See more
Dylan, Thanks for the reply.
Just to confirm: does WF Pro 5.6.0 accept not only Word, but also Excel and PPT files on Mojave without problem?

Tom, Thanks, good idea.
I already use Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner as backstops for when/if my computer fails, but I hadn't considered using CCC for downgrading the OS.
I had a look and found the instructions here:
https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/best-practices-updating-your-macs-os
Will probably give it a try this weekend.

[Edited at 2018-10-03 10:18 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:40
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Upgrades Oct 3, 2018

Personally I haven't bothered to upgrade since Yosemite because none of the "upgrades" have done anything to the OS that I would consider necessary or desirable, and in fact they disable a number of very old applications that I still use on a daily basis. I may never upgrade again !

Q4forum2
Q4forum2
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I hate upgrades too! Oct 3, 2018

Tom,
Yes, I feel the same way. Unfortunately, I am having problems with Evernote re. syncing, disk usage, and indexing problems. Tech support people there told me that it is probably due to my OS being too old. I also want to try out the later version of Apple Notes that requires a newer OS. It has better formatting features than my current version and may end up becoming my main organizer if Evernote continues to deteriorate.

[Edited at 2018-10-03 10:24 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it safe to upgrade my Mac OS to Mojave if using Wordfast Pro 5.6.0?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »