Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:17
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 24, 2010

Does anyone know why this is? This kind of defeats the usefulness of WinAlign, as the output is TUs full of strange characters that have replaced most accented characters. It happens with several fonts, too.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:17
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Dear God Feb 24, 2010

Nora Diaz wrote:

Does anyone know why this is? This kind of defeats the usefulness of WinAlign, as the output is TUs full of strange characters that have replaced most accented characters. It happens with several fonts, too.

Apparently, WinAlign is even worse than I thought... This is some encoding screwup, but i have no idea how or why it happened. It obviously shouldn't have.
Of course, if you told us what the source format was and whether or not the accents were shown correctly during the alignment, someone may be able to give you some more guidance.
If each accented letter got replaced with the same unique character (string) everywhere, you could use search and replace to correct the file.

I don't even remember what WinAlign's raw output format is, but if it's TXT, TMX or somehing like that, open it and check if it's ok. The accented letters may have been corrupted only during the import into a TM, i.e. not by WinAlign but later on. In this case you should try to import again.

I myself would never have used WinAlign in the first place. It's just an awful piece of software.
Here's an aligner I created:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/aligner/
It's a windows batch script that automatically aligns txt and html files using Hunalign. It also has a few other neat tricks up its sleeve but I won't go into them, everything is described in the readme. Please send any feedback to the sourcefourge page.

Juan Martín Fernández Rowda
Juan Martín Fernández Rowda  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
More info... Mar 9, 2010

Nora Diaz wrote:

Maybe you should provide more information, such as file format, Trados version, etc.
Most probably it's and encoding issue, not a WinAlign bug.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:17
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Bug Mar 9, 2010

Most probably it's and encoding issue, not a WinAlign bug.

I'd say it's clearly an encoding issue and clearly a WinAlign bug. If the source document was ok and a supported format, this is SDL's screwup.
Anyway, the OP disappeared promptly and rather rudely after posting the question so I don't think well'll find out what caused this.

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still trying to figure it out Mar 16, 2010

Sure enough, the accents display correctly in the txt resulting from the alignment process.

The files I used for the alignment were Word 2003 files. The target file was created with Studio.

The reason I needed to do this whole thing is because I used Studio to translate the file and the client requested a bilingual Word document.

Thank you for your suggestions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

After alignment, accented characters don't display correctly

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »