Janelle Bowditch
Janelle Bowditch  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 11:57
English to Japanese
+ ...
Apr 29, 2010

Dear All,
I work as an in-house translator for a major gaming company in a team of around 10 people. One of the main things that keep us busy day in, day out is translating vast quantities of emails from Japanese to English and vice-versa. These emails often contain a great deal of fixed phrases and repetition and I find my fingers growing weary typing the same old lines over and over (things like; "Hello. This is so-and-so from Company X, Dept. Y and "Please don't hesitate to ask if you h
... See more
Dear All,
I work as an in-house translator for a major gaming company in a team of around 10 people. One of the main things that keep us busy day in, day out is translating vast quantities of emails from Japanese to English and vice-versa. These emails often contain a great deal of fixed phrases and repetition and I find my fingers growing weary typing the same old lines over and over (things like; "Hello. This is so-and-so from Company X, Dept. Y and "Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions", etc etc).
To speed things up and keep consistency we currently use the copy & paste function but that involves finding and pulling up past emails which is sometimes more time consuming then just re-typing again from scratch. I was wondering if anybody is aware of an auto-suggest function that works in email systems like Novell Groupwise, for example? Is there anyway that CAT tools like Trados or Wordfast can be implemented in such cases?

I would really appreciate if someone has any words of advice. Thank-you!

Janelle
Collapse

Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
One way of using CAT tools in this case Apr 29, 2010

Dear Janelle,

I don't know about auto-sugest functions, but you can always copy the body of the email message in a Word file and use your favourite CAT tool to translate it.

Regards,
Jerónimo

Jānis Greivuls
Jānis Greivuls
Latvia
Local time: 04:57
English to Latvian
+ ...
Copy in a Word file Apr 29, 2010

Jerónimo Fernández wrote:

Dear Janelle,

I don't know about auto-sugest functions, but you can always copy the body of the email message in a Word file and use your favourite CAT tool to translate it.

Regards,
Jerónimo

This is the way I do this kind of translations.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:57
German to Spanish
+ ...
Using CAT tools for email translation Apr 29, 2010

Janelle Bowditch wrote:

Dear All,
I work as an in-house translator for a major gaming company in a team of around 10 people. One of the main things that keep us busy day in, day out is translating vast quantities of emails from Japanese to English and vice-versa. These emails often contain a great deal of fixed phrases and repetition and I find my fingers growing weary typing the same old lines over and over (things like; "Hello. This is so-and-so from Company X, Dept. Y and "Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions", etc etc).
To speed things up and keep consistency we currently use the copy & paste function but that involves finding and pulling up past emails which is sometimes more time consuming then just re-typing again from scratch. I was wondering if anybody is aware of an auto-suggest function that works in email systems like Novell Groupwise, for example? Is there anyway that CAT tools like Trados or Wordfast can be implemented in such cases?

I would really appreciate if someone has any words of advice. Thank-you!

Janelle

I do not know an exact solution for what you are asking for. But, I know it is possible to configure MS-Word as an email editor. And, if you can use MS-Word as email editor, you can also use Trados or Wordfast with it. May be you can find some information about this at MS-Word online- or offline-help.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Processing Apr 29, 2010

The method that Pablo writes about is described here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP052428501033.aspx

However, this requires that you use Outlook as your default e-mail client. Also, you still need to save them to outside files and get them back manually.

Depending on the volume of the mails you might consider developing a
... See more

However, this requires that you use Outlook as your default e-mail client. Also, you still need to save them to outside files and get them back manually.

Depending on the volume of the mails you might consider developing a semi-automatic solution. An application could, for example, grab selected mails off your e-mail box, strip them of the headers, save in CAT-processable format and, after translation, send it off to selected recipients. Any skilled programmer could do it and the worktime saved might recover the cost (but as I wrote, it depends on the actual load).
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Using CAT tools for email translation Apr 29, 2010

Jabberwock wrote:

Depending on the volume of the mails you might consider developing a semi-automatic solution. An application could, for example, grab selected mails off your e-mail box, strip them of the headers, save in CAT-processable format and, after translation, send it off to selected recipients. Any skilled programmer could do it and the worktime saved might recover the cost (but as I wrote, it depends on the actual load).

Many thanks for share this Jaroslaw. Perhaps it would be interesting to add this somewhere in the wiki.

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Using CAT tools for email translation Apr 30, 2010

if you still have Trados 2007 freelance, or earlier, you can use T-Window for Clipboard, a very underrated Trados tool!

it is the easier way, to me, to accomplish this task, and you can use it in EVERY e-mail software

indeed, I use it since years to translate emails and few-sentence jobs

just launch it, copy some text and the T-Window for Clipboard automatically opens
put the translation in the Target, do a concordance search if needed,
... See more
if you still have Trados 2007 freelance, or earlier, you can use T-Window for Clipboard, a very underrated Trados tool!

it is the easier way, to me, to accomplish this task, and you can use it in EVERY e-mail software

indeed, I use it since years to translate emails and few-sentence jobs

just launch it, copy some text and the T-Window for Clipboard automatically opens
put the translation in the Target, do a concordance search if needed, close the TU and your translated text is copied in the Clipboard, so you can easily paste it in your email: that's all!

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2010-04-30 23:03 GMT]
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:57
Swedish to English
+ ...
Does your company use any kind of CRM software? Apr 30, 2010

As you work for a major gaming company, I assume your company uses some kind of CRM software. I suggest you investigate whether or not this can be used for emails.

These usually have a module for setting up email templates. You can typically choose to set up non-editable html templates or editable text ones. In the latter case, colleagues in other departments, client serves for example (who should not have access to template setup), can edit the necessary sections before sending ema
... See more
As you work for a major gaming company, I assume your company uses some kind of CRM software. I suggest you investigate whether or not this can be used for emails.

These usually have a module for setting up email templates. You can typically choose to set up non-editable html templates or editable text ones. In the latter case, colleagues in other departments, client serves for example (who should not have access to template setup), can edit the necessary sections before sending emails. Whether using html or text, these CRM tools have the further advantage of the company keeping a record of which email has been sent to which client/prospect, whether html or text, manual or automatic send, etc.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using CAT tools for email translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »