English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Feb 1, 2013

G'day everyone

I see Isometry 3.0 has been released:
http://www.isometry-trans.com/

Any thoughts about it?

Samuel

PS: No, I don't care about the typo in the banner...

trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
Working in a browser? Feb 2, 2013

I'm quite confident that Google will do everything to keep Chrome safe, but nevertheless I'd prefer not to do my work in a browser.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:55
Finnish to French
Limited file format support Feb 2, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
I see Isometry 3.0 has been released:
http://www.isometry-trans.com/

Any thoughts about it?

Yes, I remember I had a look at it a long time ago. The approach is interesting, a bit like Wordfast Anywhere, except that it only works with one browser (Chrome). Nothing wrong with that, as Chrome is an excellent platform for running web applications.

Isometry 3.0 still appears to suffer from the same problem as older versions: very limited file format support:

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:55
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Actually, older versions could not do Word and Excel Feb 3, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Isometry 3.0 still appears to suffer from the same problem as older versions: very limited file format support...

Well, it offers MS Word and MS Excel, which I suspect make up for 90% of files translated by freelance translators (apart from translators who deal with intermediary file formats like TTX, TXML and XLF).

But that is just a guess -- do you know of any statistics about the file formats dealt with by freelance translators? In the last decade, I think I had to translate a PowerPoint file less than five times, and while one or two clients had once asked me if I could handle a DTP format, the overwelming majority of non-CAT formats that I'm asked to translate are MS Word files.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Isometry 3.0 released

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »