Thread poster: Amit pal
Amit pal
Amit pal
Local time: 15:49
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jan 11, 2015

Hi all,

I want to use Across/ OmegaT in order to translate TTX files.

I have come across some forums/ articles which state that the ttxpress can be used to convert TTX files to other formats which are compatible with Across/ OmegaT. However I couldn't get any working links to download the tool.

Please share working links where I can download the tool.

Also I would request you to share some better tools/ways to translate
... See more
Hi all,

I have come across some forums/ articles which state that the ttxpress can be used to convert TTX files to other formats which are compatible with Across/ OmegaT. However I couldn't get any working links to download the tool.

Please share working links where I can download the tool.

Also I would request you to share some better tools/ways to translate TTX files in other tools.

Regards,

Amit
Collapse

Nahit Karataşlı
Nahit Karataşlı  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:19
English to Turkish
+ ...
Link Jan 11, 2015

Hi,

http://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=3076.0

Swordfish (www.maxprograms.com) can handle TTX files.

Hope it works.

Regards,
Nahit

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:19
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TTXpress can't be used with OmegaT Jan 12, 2015

amit039 wrote:
I want to use Across / OmegaT in order to translate TTX files.

You can translate some types of TTX files with OmegaT directly (this only works if either you or your client actually has TagEditor, because the files have to be "prepared" for OmegaT in a way that is not mentioned in the user manual). You can translate many types of TTX files if you install the Okapi filter plugin in OmegaT.

I have come across some forums / articles which state that TTXpress can be used to convert TTX files to other formats which are compatible with Across / OmegaT.

TTXpress converts the TTX file into an RTF file, and back. OmegaT can't handle RTF files. Besides, it converts it into "uncleaned RTF" files, which OmegaT really, really can't handle without much hacking and hoping. And it will only convert the TTX file if it is fully translated or pre-translated.

[One thing I can say in TTXpress' favour is that it doesn't use the target text of the TTX file as both the source and target text in the RTF file, but correctly uses the TTX's actual source text as the source text in the RTF file... so if you know that your TTX file is fully translated, and you have a CAT tool that supports "uncleaned RTF" files, then TTXpress looks like a viable option.]

However I couldn't get any working links to download the tool.

I confirm that the link at the bottom of the first post of this thread works, and although Windows 7 complained about incompatability, I was able to install it and use it. For me, the toolbar wasn't added to MS Word automatically -- I had to add it manually using Tools > Templates & Add-Ins > Add, but thankfully the DOT file was in the default list when I did.

==

Nahit Karataşlı wrote:
Swordfish (www.maxprograms.com) can handle TTX files.

I don't use Swordfish but I can confirm that the creator of Swordfish confirmed that Swordfish does handle TTX files, even if they're fully untranslated, partially segmented, partially translated or fully pre-translated, although Swordfish's segmentation settings will segment the text slightly differently, which means that you'll get fewer matches from a Trados TM, if you use one, but otherwise won't affect compatability of the TTX file.

* http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/225368-ttx_file_compatible_cat_tools.html#1950158
* http://www.proz.com/forum/swordfish_support/210359-swordfish_compatibility_with_trados_ttx_and_wf_txml.html#1826947

[Edited at 2015-01-12 07:16 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:19
Finnish to French
No need for TTXpress with OmegaT Jan 12, 2015

amit039 wrote:

You can translate TTX with OmegaT using the corresponding Okapi filter:

http://www.opentag.com/okapi/wiki/index.php?title=Okapi_Filters_Plugin_for_OmegaT

amit039 wrote:

It's very, very old and never really worked anyway. I wouldn't recommend wasting your time with it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Request for link for ttxpress

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »