help on what its like to be a translator
Thread poster: gfetish17
gfetish17
gfetish17
English to German
Mar 6, 2005

I just recently changed my major to german -and will along with that major in the scandanavian languages, and minor in japanese. It's a whole new world for me for all my life I have been science orientated, but that lost its appeal in doing the actual grunt work. I know little about the lifestyles and accomplishments of translators and linguists, and this worries me. I love languges, and took latin all throughout high school with a little french, i started taking up japanese on my own, and playe... See more
I just recently changed my major to german -and will along with that major in the scandanavian languages, and minor in japanese. It's a whole new world for me for all my life I have been science orientated, but that lost its appeal in doing the actual grunt work. I know little about the lifestyles and accomplishments of translators and linguists, and this worries me. I love languges, and took latin all throughout high school with a little french, i started taking up japanese on my own, and played with heiroglyphs.

Could anyone give me a general idea of how it all works? The benefits. The downsides. Anything.

thank you all so much

tori
Collapse

Ciprian Dumea
Ciprian Dumea  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:41
English to Romanian
+ ...
try this link :-) Mar 6, 2005

http://home.comcast.net/~r.chriss/Articles/Articles.html

Best of luck!
Ciprian.

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 03:41
German to English
+ ...
Read this board for a few days! Mar 6, 2005

Seriously, you'll see pretty much every issue covered; how much time we spend working, how much we earn, what tools we use, what being self-employed entails, our community...it's all here! The "getting established" forum is probably a good start - or something like this recent topic:
http://www.proz.com/topic/29411

And yes, it IS 9.30 pm on Sunday and there are loads of us at our desks
... See more
Seriously, you'll see pretty much every issue covered; how much time we spend working, how much we earn, what tools we use, what being self-employed entails, our community...it's all here! The "getting established" forum is probably a good start - or something like this recent topic:
http://www.proz.com/topic/29411

And yes, it IS 9.30 pm on Sunday and there are loads of us at our desks and posting on the boards!
Collapse

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 03:41
German to English
+ ...
That article is pretty accurate Mar 6, 2005

I've just read http://home.comcast.net/~r.chriss/Articles/Article2.html from the link above - it sums it up pretty well - but don't let it put you off!

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:41
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
German>English Mar 7, 2005

My very first piece of advice is to change your language pair to German>English. It is recommended that a translator translate into his/her native language. Being able to write well in your native language is the first and most important prerequisite for becoming a good translator.

The great thing about translation is that you can combine a love of languages with knowledge from just about any other field. In your case, scientific/technical translation could be a promising career pat
... See more
My very first piece of advice is to change your language pair to German>English. It is recommended that a translator translate into his/her native language. Being able to write well in your native language is the first and most important prerequisite for becoming a good translator.

The great thing about translation is that you can combine a love of languages with knowledge from just about any other field. In your case, scientific/technical translation could be a promising career path.

Lykke til,

Michele Fauble
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

help on what its like to be a translator

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »