Thread poster: jstrelec
jstrelec
jstrelec  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:38
French to English
Apr 26, 2005

Hello everyone,

Several years ago I did a translation of a novella (roughly 100 pages) by a relatively well-known author from French to English. As far as I can tell by my research, no one has translated this book.
I originally undertook the project as a self-imposed challenge, but now am thinking "Why not try and do something with it?" This question I have been asking myself for some time and keep returning to the answer, "But what?"

So, I am asking if anyone has
... See more
Hello everyone,

Several years ago I did a translation of a novella (roughly 100 pages) by a relatively well-known author from French to English. As far as I can tell by my research, no one has translated this book.
I originally undertook the project as a self-imposed challenge, but now am thinking "Why not try and do something with it?" This question I have been asking myself for some time and keep returning to the answer, "But what?"

So, I am asking if anyone has any idea about how one goes about getting permission to publish a translation and soliciting publishers. Is there a trick to the trade? some kind of formula? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Jessica
Collapse

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Write a letter... Apr 26, 2005

I don't know if this is a "trick to the trade," but I would suggest writing a letter (or contacting) the publisher of the book you translated to find out who holds the copyright (the translation right). If the author still holds that right, i.e. has not assigned it to another, you might have good chances - many authors are flattered if their work is considered for translation.

A friendly letter can often work wonders...... See more
I don't know if this is a "trick to the trade," but I would suggest writing a letter (or contacting) the publisher of the book you translated to find out who holds the copyright (the translation right). If the author still holds that right, i.e. has not assigned it to another, you might have good chances - many authors are flattered if their work is considered for translation.

A friendly letter can often work wonders...
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Similar to an author who wants to be published Apr 26, 2005

Once you have established the copyright situation and you are ready to propose the project to a publisher, how to proceed?

There is plenty of advice on the Internet directed to authors who want to publish; how to write a query letter to a publisher (and how not to), how to present a book proposal. You might want to search this information and apply the relevant parts of these recommendations.

[Edited at 2005-04-26 20:16]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Corrollary Apr 26, 2005

Derek Gill Franßen wrote:

A friendly letter can often work wonders...

Somewhere along the way you might also try to find out if the author has a literary agent.

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Finding the author's agent Apr 26, 2005

Parrot wrote:
Somewhere along the way you might also try to find out if the author has a literary agent.

Check the author's acknowledgements and thank-yous.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting a Lit. Translation Published

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »