Thread poster: Solomon Wright
Solomon Wright
Solomon Wright  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:11
Portuguese to English
+ ...
May 7, 2005

Right. Similar to MANY questions previously posted here and elsewhere, but a specific situation. I want to work as a translator. Freelance eventually, but don't mind doing in-house for a bit first if necessary. I am bilingual in English and Portuguese, studied Linguistics at Durham (UK) and have some experience in assorted freelance translation assignments. I took the DipTrans in January in the hope that this would be sufficient ammo to get started with an in-house job or loads of freelance... See more
Right. Similar to MANY questions previously posted here and elsewhere, but a specific situation. I want to work as a translator. Freelance eventually, but don't mind doing in-house for a bit first if necessary. I am bilingual in English and Portuguese, studied Linguistics at Durham (UK) and have some experience in assorted freelance translation assignments. I took the DipTrans in January in the hope that this would be sufficient ammo to get started with an in-house job or loads of freelance work with agencies. Just got the results, failed 2 out of 3 papers, and am now wondering what the next step in my plan should be. I want to invest in some sort of training, preferably no longer than a year, preferably somewhere nice (i.e. not England...). Most courses I've come accross in Portugal are much longer, and I'm not sure if they would be the most appropriate for someone who plans to translate mainly INTO English (my main language). The most plausible option I've come accross for PT>EN is the MAATS at Leeds, UK (I don't really want to move outside Europe btw). Has anyone else done this course? Any feedback? If anyone has any ideas or comments regarding possible solutions I would be immensely grateful.

Regards

Solomon
Collapse

Natalia Elo
Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Prep Course for DipTrans May 7, 2005

Dear Solomon,

Solomon Wright wrote:

I took the DipTrans in January in the hope that this would be sufficient ammo to get started with an in-house job or loads of freelance work with agencies. Just got the results, failed 2 out of 3 papers, and am now wondering what the next step in my plan should be.

Did you take Preparation Course for the DipTrans or did you just go there to give it a try?

I'm curious, becuase I have taken the first module of the course and plannin to tak the third one before the exam.

Cheers
Natalia

Solomon Wright
Solomon Wright  Identity Verified
Germany
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Prep course of dubious value May 7, 2005

I did module 3 by correspondence with city uni - rather limited feedback, and all my assignments were graded as pass and above, so it obviously didn't help me much. Good for practice, but don't count on it too much would be my advice... Hope that helps.

Solomon

100379 (X)
100379 (X)
diptrans Jun 5, 2005

Preparation Course for the DipTrans

Dear Natalia

I visited the website about IOL to find info about diptrans

it´s a jungle...

I could not find anything

would kindly help me?

Is true that I can study with the help of a tutor ( staying at home - I live in sweden )and then when I am ready do the exam?

I am writing also to you through proz, as I don t want to loose this page

Kind regards
... See more
Preparation Course for the DipTrans

Dear Natalia

I visited the website about IOL to find info about diptrans

it´s a jungle...

I could not find anything

would kindly help me?

Is true that I can study with the help of a tutor ( staying at home - I live in sweden )and then when I am ready do the exam?

I am writing also to you through proz, as I don t want to loose this page

Kind regards

Mel
Collapse

Anne McKee
Anne McKee
French to English
Good correspondence course Jun 16, 2005

Hi,

I am preparing for the DipTrans with WLS based in Dublin.They are one of the organisations mentioned on the list supplied by the Institute of Linguists.

You can download the notes and assignments when you have paid up and can do a WLS certificate course before doing the IOL assignments if you want to.

I have been following the course with them and I have been pleased with my results, my tutor and the course.

I am working and only have a lim
... See more
Hi,

I am preparing for the DipTrans with WLS based in Dublin.They are one of the organisations mentioned on the list supplied by the Institute of Linguists.

You can download the notes and assignments when you have paid up and can do a WLS certificate course before doing the IOL assignments if you want to.

I have been following the course with them and I have been pleased with my results, my tutor and the course.

I am working and only have a limited time to spend working on the course and I have found it is ideal for me.

Transanne
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on translation courses needed

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »