I live in Shanghai part of the time, and Belgium part of the time. How to account for online work?
Thread poster: euroguy
euroguy
euroguy
Local time: 13:59
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 21, 2005

Hi all,

I am already a translator (English/French/Dutch) for some time now for some Chinese companies. Since I live a big part of my time in Shanghai I do have a bank account there.
Basically this means that I do not pay any taxes on my revenue.

How does it work if I would receive an offer through this forum?

Thanks in advance for your input.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-21 21:04]

Lindsay Sabadosa (X)
Lindsay Sabadosa (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:59
Italian to English
+ ...
Tax home Jun 21, 2005

Where is your tax home? Do you pay any taxes at all?
Are you a Belgium or Chinese citizen? Are you employed at a Belgium company in China or do you work directly for a Chinese company? Do you keep all of your income in your Chinese bank account or do you convert part of it into Euros to bring to Beglium?

These are all important questions. Generally, I would say that you should pay self-employment taxes in the country that is your tax home (if that exists in China - honestly,
... See more
Where is your tax home? Do you pay any taxes at all?
Are you a Belgium or Chinese citizen? Are you employed at a Belgium company in China or do you work directly for a Chinese company? Do you keep all of your income in your Chinese bank account or do you convert part of it into Euros to bring to Beglium?

These are all important questions. Generally, I would say that you should pay self-employment taxes in the country that is your tax home (if that exists in China - honestly, I never paid it when I worked in China and I translated there as well). If you are Chinese and just travel to Belgium a few times a year, this is not an issue. You deal with the Chinese laws on this. If you are Belgium, working for a Belgium company in China, you pay taxes in Belgium. If you are Belgium, working for a Chinese company in China, you pay taxes to both based on international tax laws (which may even mean you pay tax in only one country depending on the applicable laws or in neither if your salary falls under a certain amount - although thinking back I don't ever remember paying anything in China on my income or any other sales tax for that matter). With a bit more information, it should be easy to figure out what category you fall under and to point you in the right direction.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I live in Shanghai part of the time, and Belgium part of the time. How to account for online work?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »