Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Starting a career as a translator/interpreter during the pandemic Dec 28, 2021

Christine Andersen wrote:

I really respect people who have the courage to start now. It is a different profession from when I started, back in the last century. The younger generation know things that we older hands have not kept up with - don´t underrate yourselves!

I think there will always be a need for adaptable human translators - the machines and computers are always a step behind the real thing! Keep trying, and you will pass some tests, or find clients who are interested in your experience too.

Thank you so much for your comment, Christine. I would like to add to your comment that it is even more difficult to start a career as a freelance translator or interpreter now because of the pandemic. I was told by a fellow translator who advised me how to start and how this job is that these weren't good times to start as a freelancer, in her opinion.

I was told about that in the middle or beginning of 2020, if I remember right, but things turned out different for me and I had to give it a try in March, 2021 because I realized I love working at home and the flexibility it provides with and because I was suffering from health problems with my voice and I couldn't keep on working as IT Helpdesk Technician speaking hours and hours over the phone every day.

Apart from that, I have realized I love being a translator (unlike my opinion when I was studying Translation and Interpreting at university 8 years ago).

I don't know if William has started his career right now, but I can only say "Bravo!".

William Yang
William Yang
China
Local time: 05:49
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
a late starter Dec 28, 2021

Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez wrote:
I don't know if William has started his career right now, but I can only say "Bravo!".

Hello Jorge, tonight I made a step forward and started as a paid member, which will make me more engaged and Proz.com is surely an asset to mine.

So it's a new day and a new world for me.

William Yang
William Yang
China
Local time: 05:49
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
the years when young Dec 28, 2021

Christine Andersen wrote:

William Yang wrote:

Similar to you, I've been trying to get established but so far the marketing part doesn't seem to work well. So I need advice too.
By interacting in this forum takes courage because you're surrounded with experts and every move you make can make you feel nervous or naïve, but I decide to try and learn more. I will allocate some time everyday to answer questions and write a little.
Tests for me is part of selling, a success or a failure, is an incremental added value.

I really respect people who have the courage to start now. It is a different profession from when I started, back in the last century. The younger generation know things that we older hands have not kept up with - don´t underrate yourselves!

Thanks Christine for comments and I'm not young either. Proz.com is not new to me. Looking back nearly two decades ago when I was determined to start my translation career here, a brawl and blows from a serial failure sank me into nearly 15 years in depression.
I do not want to complain or blame anyone, what I want to do now is digging deeper and live meaningful as a translator.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Failed Translation Test

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »