The Wayland Experience
Thread poster: Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
May 16, 2023

Salutations, my brothers and sisters in Tux!
[secret hand gestures]

As some of you might already know, I have fully migrated to the Holy Wayland. It turned out that I had been running river WM for three months, based on the log entry. While river did have some issues with title bars in GTK applications (among some other minor gripes), I think it was a positive experience overall. Luckily for me, I mostly work on the cloud. All the major web browsers run natively on Wayland.... See more
Salutations, my brothers and sisters in Tux!
[secret hand gestures]

As some of you might already know, I have fully migrated to the Holy Wayland. It turned out that I had been running river WM for three months, based on the log entry. While river did have some issues with title bars in GTK applications (among some other minor gripes), I think it was a positive experience overall. Luckily for me, I mostly work on the cloud. All the major web browsers run natively on Wayland.

Still, I decided to try out Sway, since this is the most matured wl-roots compositor available at the moment. OpenSUSE Tumbleweed spin was ordained, because the defaults align with the vision Lord Tux gave me. I only needed to make small adjustments instead of requiring to configure my desktop again from scratch. And sure enough, I didn’t encounter all the problems I had with river. I’ll stay on it for another three months, while keeping tabs on Wayland developments.

I am curious to hear the stories of those who have also taken the plunge. If you’re using GNOME desktop, it’s been defaulting to Wayland session for quite some time now. I have no idea about KDE Plasma. At any rate, it will be interesting to learn about the experience of the members of this congregation with any of them. By the grace of Tux, our Lord and Savior, I shall cherish your tales as we are one step closer to the realization of our cyberworld salvation plans. Until then, I shall provide you with the flesh and blood of my glorious desktop. Feast upon my greatness, o brothers and sisters!

[Edited at 2023-05-16 12:28 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
esperantisto
Metin Demirel

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Past forward May 20, 2023

Heartfelt and heartwarming post! Salutations from the church of Saint IGNUcius.

I've tried Wayland with Gnome a while back, but some things didn't work as smoothly as I'd like. This is a "production machine" after all, and gone are my days of living on the bleeding edge.

So I can't comment further on the Wayland experience.

For the last few years, my distro of choice has been Regolith, which in its current implementation uses the X11-only i3 window manager.
... See more
Heartfelt and heartwarming post! Salutations from the church of Saint IGNUcius.

I've tried Wayland with Gnome a while back, but some things didn't work as smoothly as I'd like. This is a "production machine" after all, and gone are my days of living on the bleeding edge.

So I can't comment further on the Wayland experience.

For the last few years, my distro of choice has been Regolith, which in its current implementation uses the X11-only i3 window manager.

I think Regolith relies on Gnome Flashback (previously know as Fall back mode).

As I understand it, sway is a Wayland-compatible replacement to i3.

Integration of swaywm in Regolith is ongoing, so there will be a switch sometime in the future: https://regolith-desktop.com/posts/sway_integration_gsoc/

Here's a sneak peek at my sexy desktop. Wallpaper aside, it's quite similar!

Regolith

[Edited at 2023-05-20 02:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-05-20 02:55 GMT]
Collapse

esperantisto
Mr. Satan (X)
Metin Demirel

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
TOPIC STARTER
Wayland May 20, 2023

Brother Jean wrote:

That is understandable. As for me, fully migrating to Wayland was a no-brainer since, like I stated before, I mostly work on the cloud. And I figured that I might as well do it while I was in my slow season. It should give me ample time to adapt, and I had hoped it’d allow me to iron out issues I might encounter before the rain pours. But much to my delight, a lot of the obstacles that prevented it from being ready for prime time appeared to have been resolved when I made the switch. It just amazes me how some random programmers from all over the world unite and managed to come up with solutions for complex issues that a multi-billion dollar mega-corporation can’t seem to fix. Perhaps Eric S. Raymond was right, after all.

It’s for my own good as well. The future of Wayland gets me really excited, and it helps keeping my head on straight amidst the ChatGPT panic. I think everyone can benefit from a hobby these days. I’m grateful I have found mine.

Here's a sneak peek at my sexy desktop.

Nice desktop. Someone has a fine taste. :3

[Edited at 2023-05-21 07:49 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
TOPIC STARTER
“Three signs that Wayland is becoming the favored way to get a GUI on Linux” – The Register Jul 14, 2023

https://www.theregister.com/2023/07/13/wayland_is_coming/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Wayland Experience

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »