Thread poster: Rafea Alharfouch
Rafea Alharfouch
Rafea Alharfouch
United States
Local time: 15:41
Arabic to English
+ ...
May 5, 2005

it is not translation question ............

i am going to complete my study in uk , MA Interpreting and Translation Studies (MAITS)......... i just want to ask if this degree will increase my chances of good future career . i mean ,does this degree guarantee a good position in the market place ( i am 24 ,, i have just finished my undergraduate study in Damascus university . English literature )i did some audiovisual translation . you guys are more experienced then me in this field ,
... See more
it is not translation question ............

i am going to complete my study in uk , MA Interpreting and Translation Studies (MAITS)......... i just want to ask if this degree will increase my chances of good future career . i mean ,does this degree guarantee a good position in the market place ( i am 24 ,, i have just finished my undergraduate study in Damascus university . English literature )i did some audiovisual translation . you guys are more experienced then me in this field , i will appreciate your advice ... this is my MSN for more advice [email protected]
Collapse

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
Good move, but no guarantees May 5, 2005

rafea wrote:

i just want to ask if this degree will increase my chances of good future career .

Yes, good formal training will enhance your career opportunitees (nobody knows by how much).

rafea wrote:

i mean ,does this degree guarantee a good position in the market place ( i am 24)

No. There are no guarantees in this field. Your success will depend on a variety of factors. Your tender age argues for pursuing studies (harder at my age), but, as in most things, have hopes, but no expectations.

rafea wrote:

this is my MSN for more advice ....

It is not a good idea to post your email address in an open forum.

Rafea Alharfouch
Rafea Alharfouch
United States
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reply May 6, 2005

thank you MR yahya , you have been alot of help to me .

Saifa (X)
Saifa (X)
Local time: 22:41
German to French
+ ...
Specialize! May 19, 2005

Hi Rafea,

I agree with Fuad: do not expect any guarantees in our profession.

I would give you the following advice: specialize! If you like the audiovisual field or you have already some possibilities there, let it become your trump. On the market, one's specialization is often the most important thing.

Try to get the more practice you can. At the beginning, it may be interesting to work for free for a NGO for example. This may be a way of learning and spe
... See more
Hi Rafea,

I agree with Fuad: do not expect any guarantees in our profession.

I would give you the following advice: specialize! If you like the audiovisual field or you have already some possibilities there, let it become your trump. On the market, one's specialization is often the most important thing.

Try to get the more practice you can. At the beginning, it may be interesting to work for free for a NGO for example. This may be a way of learning and specializing as well...

It may be wise to have another source language than English also. English is needed everywhere, but one can sometimes earn more bread with some "smaller" languages (in my case Dutch) than with widespread languages(in my case German or French). You can begin translating English texts and keep learning another language...

Last advice: never give up!

Chademu
Collapse

Rafea Alharfouch
Rafea Alharfouch
United States
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
i will go for it. May 20, 2005

Hello chademu, thanx a lot for your advice , I think u did understand my situation, am at the starting point of this career . audiovisual translation seems interesting and most of all I do like it . As u said I will never give up . excuse my ignorance but what an NGO means .

AhmedAMS
AhmedAMS  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:41
English to Arabic
+ ...
Here it is May 20, 2005

rafea wrote:

excuse my ignorance but what an NGO means .

It means "Non-Governmental Oragnization"

Saifa (X)
Saifa (X)
Local time: 22:41
German to French
+ ...
NGO: for example May 22, 2005

Some non governmental organizations always or regularly need translators:

http://www.tsf-twb.org/index-en.shtml
http://www.babels.org/a4.html

Sometimes,when one has a little bit of time, it can be nice to work for free for something which is worth it. On this way, you get some ex
... See more
Some non governmental organizations always or regularly need translators:

http://www.tsf-twb.org/index-en.shtml
http://www.babels.org/a4.html

Sometimes,when one has a little bit of time, it can be nice to work for free for something which is worth it. On this way, you get some experience as well which you can use later.

Good luck!

Chademu
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ask for advice

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »