Susmi Rosenthal
Susmi Rosenthal  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:49
Member (2007)
English to Danish
+ ...
Dec 15, 2023

I recently did two jobs for a localization agency. I've been a linguist for 25+ years and never experienced an agency that insists on only issuing POs after all project steps are finished and after their own delivery to their client. Additionally, they only issue POs once a month, between the 20th to 25th of each month. They told me their payment terms are 30-45 days, which is normal. However, they didn't inform me up front that they only count from when they issue their PO. This way, a linguist... See more
I recently did two jobs for a localization agency. I've been a linguist for 25+ years and never experienced an agency that insists on only issuing POs after all project steps are finished and after their own delivery to their client. Additionally, they only issue POs once a month, between the 20th to 25th of each month. They told me their payment terms are 30-45 days, which is normal. However, they didn't inform me up front that they only count from when they issue their PO. This way, a linguist can end up having to wait for several months for their payment.

I wrote a review on Blueboard for them because I wanted to warn other linguists. In response, they have tried to flood their Blueboard with good reviews to drown mine and that of another linguist with the same concerns (many entries from December 15, 2023).

Now, I would like to ask if people here think it's normal and acceptable for a company to have such PO and payment policies and not be up front about it?

[Edited at 2023-12-15 17:24 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:49
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Susmi Dec 15, 2023

Susmi Rosenthal wrote:
...an agency that insists on only issuing POs after all project steps are finished and after their own delivery to their client.

This is both unusual and unfair, because there are many steps involved in a project, and the translator should not have to wait until the final step is completed before he is paid. The agency may be operating on a small cash-flow principle whereby they don't have any money to pay their translators until the clients pay them.

Additionally, they only issue POs once a month, between the 20th to 25th of each month.

This is not unheard of but it is annoying when you discover that your agency is such an agency.

They told me their payment terms are 30-45 days, which is normal. However, they didn't inform me up front that they only count from when they issue their PO.

Yes, it is up to the translator to ask "from when" when the payment term is mentioned. Some agencies measure it from the date of the PO, from the date of delivery, from the date of the invoice, or from some period (e.g. a month) after these events.

In response, they have tried to flood their Blueboard with good reviews to drown mine and that of another linguist with the same concerns (many entries from December 15, 2023).

This is their right. But it is an interesting tactic: the flurry of positive reviews shifted your review down to page 2 or 3. Fortunately, members of the public can see the number of KudoZ points that each reviewer has, which goes some way to help visitors see how reliable the reviews are.

[Edited at 2023-12-15 17:34 GMT]

Susmi Rosenthal

Susmi Rosenthal
Canada
Member (2007)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ok, I have removed their name Dec 15, 2023

Ok, I have removed their name

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:49
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Susmi Dec 15, 2023

I must start by saying that none of my long-standing customers send POs: we have been doing business for so long that a formal PO isn't required and good old-fashioned trust is all we need. Some international organizations instead of a PO establish a formal contract for each job. All of the new agencies I work with send a PO with each job (just a reference number or a proper PO), most before the job starts and one immediately after delivering the job. I worked for a while with a UK agency which ... See more
I must start by saying that none of my long-standing customers send POs: we have been doing business for so long that a formal PO isn't required and good old-fashioned trust is all we need. Some international organizations instead of a PO establish a formal contract for each job. All of the new agencies I work with send a PO with each job (just a reference number or a proper PO), most before the job starts and one immediately after delivering the job. I worked for a while with a UK agency which also issued their POs at the end of the month and to make things worse some PMs had to be reminded over and over again. They were bought by a large translation agency and we no longer work together.Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Liviu-Lee Roth

Susmi Rosenthal
Canada
Member (2007)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 15, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

This is both unusual and unfair, because there are many steps involved in a project, and the translator should not have to wait until the final step is completed before he is paid.

Yes, this is what I think too.

In response, they have tried to flood their Blueboard with good reviews to drown mine and that of another linguist with the same concerns (many entries from December 15, 2023).

This is their right. But it is an interesting tactic: the flurry of positive reviews shifted your review down to page 2 or 3. Fortunately, members of the public can see the number of KudoZ points that each reviewer has, which goes some way to help visitors see how reliable the reviews are.

[Edited at 2023-12-15 17:34 GMT]

That's true - it just requires people to look closely at such details, including the date, and not just the rating. I can't name the company here, sadly, but curious linguists may be able to find out which one I mean by checking out all the reviews I've given.

Susmi Rosenthal
Canada
Member (2007)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 15, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

I must start by saying that none of my long-standing customers send POs: we have been doing business for so long that a formal PO isn't required and good old-fashioned trust is all we need. Some international organizations instead of a PO establish a formal contract for each job. All of the new agencies I work with send a PO with each job (just a reference number or a proper PO), most before the job starts and one immediately after delivering the job. I worked for a while with a UK agency which also issued their POs at the end of the month and to make things worse some PMs had to be reminded over and over again. They were bought by a large translation agency and we no longer work together.

Hi Maria,
This is my overall experience too. I work for multiple long-standing customers where POs are not issued at all based on long-time trust. Such clients always pay on time, and if they somehow miss it, they correct the error immediately and send payment right away. Those that do issue POs and require them for me to invoice always do it at project start or at the very latest when I deliver (some need reminders, yes, but then they issue it).

The methods of this company really surprised me. And they refuse to do anything about it. I've stated my objections and concerns multiple times now, and they just keep answering the same things - that it's their policy and they can't change it...

They also wanted me to remove my Blueboard review, which I refused, and they then apparently asked a host of people to give them good reviews to drown my bad one...

Susmi Rosenthal
Canada
Member (2007)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dec 15, 2023

[Edited at 2023-12-16 02:25 GMT]

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:49
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
No Blue Board record Dec 15, 2023

Susmi Rosenthal wrote:

I can't name the company here, sadly, but curious linguists may be able to find out which one I mean by checking out all the reviews I've given.

No Blue Board record is shown on your profile. Instead it says:

“This person is not affiliated with any business or Blue Board record at ProZ.com.”

Susmi Rosenthal
Canada
Member (2007)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not my Blue Board Dec 15, 2023

Michele Fauble wrote:

“This person is not affiliated with any business or Blue Board record at ProZ.com.”

Hi Michele,
Correct, I don't have a Blue Board myself. However, you can see on my profile the Blue Board entries I've made for companies. You have to look on my profile and scroll to "Blue Board entries made by this user". See attached. I don't know if you can see the names of the companies I've reviewed, but you are also welcome to write me a message.

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:49
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Don’t see it Dec 15, 2023

Susmi Rosenthal wrote:

Michele Fauble wrote:

Hi Michele,
Correct, I don't have a Blue Board myself. However, you can see on my profile the Blue Board entries I've made for companies. You have to look on my profile and scroll to "Blue Board entries made by this user". See attached. I don't know if you can see the names of the companies I've reviewed, but you are also welcome to write me a message.

I don’t see that on your profile on my iPad. I don’t know why. Nor do I see it on my MacBook Air. Another ProZ bug?

[Edited at 2023-12-15 21:01 GMT]

Susmi Rosenthal
Canada
Member (2007)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Michele, I wrote you a private message Dec 15, 2023

Michele Fauble wrote:

I don’t see that on your profile on my iPad. I don’t know why. Nor do I see it on my MacBook Air. Another ProZ bug?

[Edited at 2023-12-15 21:01 GMT]

I sent you a private message.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:49
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Susmi Dec 15, 2023

I can't see your BB entries either.

Susmi Rosenthal
Canada
Member (2007)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Michele, check your mail including spam folder Dec 15, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

I can't see your BB entries either.

I don't know why.

[Edited at 2023-12-16 02:26 GMT]

Susmi Rosenthal
Canada
Member (2007)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, Michele! I see the next post was from another linguist Maria Dec 15, 2023

Sorry, Michele! I see the next post was from another linguist.

Maria, feel free to write me if you want details too.

I don't know why none of you can see the BB entries I wrote

[Edited at 2023-12-16 16:56 GMT]

Susmi Rosenthal
Canada
Member (2007)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Apologies for being bad at using this forum!! Dec 15, 2023

Apologies for being bad at using this forum!!

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When should agencies issue POs?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »