Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
Trados Training in Edinburgh (after the Conference) on Sunday, November 12, 2006
Thread poster: Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:58
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Aug 20, 2006

Even at the second ProZ Conference in Oxford, which was held in 2004, a big need for training in CAT tools usage arose. We discussed this during the Oxford conference in the "Focus Group: CAT Tools: Novices Meet Enthusiasts". No precise plans were created then, but the idea started to grow. Following this I prepared a session for the Conference in Cracow. This session showed, that we were on the right track, and above all, that a time limit of an hour or two does not allow for proper training, b... See more
Even at the second ProZ Conference in Oxford, which was held in 2004, a big need for training in CAT tools usage arose. We discussed this during the Oxford conference in the "Focus Group: CAT Tools: Novices Meet Enthusiasts". No precise plans were created then, but the idea started to grow. Following this I prepared a session for the Conference in Cracow. This session showed, that we were on the right track, and above all, that a time limit of an hour or two does not allow for proper training, but is just enough for showing some major features. This all led to a - very limited - "Training Session: Trados - introduction and training (creation of TMs, projects etc.)", which was held during the first ProZ Local Conference in Berlin in May this yer. Within very limited time, I tried to show how to use Trados. But all this cannot replace a real training, where the participants get the opportunity not only to watch and listen, but to deal with the files as they are shown. Such training needs time, so we decided to separate this from the Conference and to offer a full-day session.

The session will cover the most important tasks when working with Trados. We shall start with creating a TM and using the TM setup to optimise the TM to your needs. We shall also set up a Multiterm termbase, using a terminology list created in an Excel file. Further, we shall deal with Word files, starting with easy ones, moving on to files, which tend to cause trouble, try to analyse why and to show what can be done to avoid problems. Next, we will deal with Word files via Tag Editor, which also includes the setup of this component. After that, we also will look at some DTP files (Pagemaker, QuarkXPress and Framemaker). In the last part, I would also like to show you, what can be done, if you get a badly segmented tagged file.

I think we will divide the training into three blocks.
The first covering the setup and creation of TM and MT termbase and also dealing with easy Word files. The other shall both deal with the remaining tasks. At the moment, I estimate the course to last approximately 6-7 hours.

As this will be a first, I cannot promise that everything will run as smoothly as it should. Therefore, I would be very gratefull for your help. First please put all your expetations here in this thread, so I can prepare myself accordingly. Then I would like to ask some of you, who feel able and are willing to, to work with your neighbours and help them.

And finally, places are limited to 35 participants. Book early to avoid disappointment.
Participating in this event you will allow us to deepen the idea of such trainings, which could then be organized via ProZ in the future. Thank you for supporting us.

Please feel free to share your views here.
You may also contact me directly via my profile, if you wish to. However, I would welcome it, if we could discuss all issues openly here, making this visible and transparent to anyone.

Join us today!
The program will be published when fixed.
We shall start the trainig at 9 am.

I would like to ask anyone who registered for Trados Training to register also for this powwow. This will simply give us a list of registrants and a possibility to communicate with each other in easy and fast way.
Thank you very much

Kind regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2006-09-14 08:23]

[Edited at 2006-09-15 10:32]
Collapse

Sheena Cleland
Sheena Cleland  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:58
French to English
+ ...
Training equipment Aug 20, 2006

I would like to register for the course but don't have a laptop. Will computers be provided?

Thanks,

Sheena Cleland
WordSmith
Edinburgh

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I´m afraid no Aug 20, 2006

We cannot provide laptops, sorry.
But maybe you can borrow one from a friend or rent one somwhere.

Regards
Jerzy

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The registration procedure is open now Aug 22, 2006

You can now register for the trainig, starting from the conference page or clicking here.

This session shall cover beginner and intermediate level.

Regards
Jerzy

Catherine Dauvergne-Newman
Catherine Dauvergne-Newman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
Times of the workshop Aug 22, 2006

Hi Jerzy,

Could you please advise what time the workshop starts and finishes? Many thanks,

Catherine

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We have not fixed the time yet Aug 22, 2006

but I think we shall start not later than 9 am. Provided that the training will last at least 6 hours and we need one coffee and one lunch break, we will not be done before 4:30 pm. This shall be hard work, no fun. Not only demonstrating, but really working with provided files.

Regards
Jerzy

United Kingdom
English to French
Thanks! Aug 22, 2006

Good! We don't want to have too much fun, do we! (??)

protolmach
protolmach  Identity Verified
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
I do not have Trados at this time, do I need to buy it to participate? Aug 22, 2006

Hello,
Glad we'll be given this opportunity. What if I don't have Trados at this time (I use SDLX)? I understand we are expected to have our laptops, what about Trados?

Thank you,
Elana Pick

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, this is not necessary Aug 22, 2006

We shall not work with big files and Translation Memories, so a demo version shall do.
You can download a demo version of Trados from Translationzone.
The demo package will also be provided during the Confrerence (most probably).

The limits of demo v
... See more
We shall not work with big files and Translation Memories, so a demo version shall do.
You can download a demo version of Trados from Translationzone.
The demo package will also be provided during the Confrerence (most probably).

The limits of demo version are shown here. A TM with 100 units for learn purposes will be enough. I shall try to prepare the files so, that the limits are kept.

Regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2006-08-22 15:06]
Collapse

protolmach
protolmach  Identity Verified
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you very much! Aug 22, 2006

Thank you very much, Jerzy! See you in Edinburgh!
Elana

Igor Uszczapowski M.Sc. (Oxon.)
Igor Uszczapowski M.Sc. (Oxon.)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
I have already registered for your course Aug 22, 2006

Dear Jerzy,

Thanks for offering this seminar. I have already registered to make sure I will be able to benefit from your course.

Maybe those planning to attend should use this platform to develop a consensus beforehand as to which topics will be of mutual interest, or what kind of group structure may further the most important needs of the participants.

I shall contribute suggestions to this end in due course.

Best regards,

Igor

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To all registrants Aug 22, 2006

Dear All
Please be so kind and state here, that you have registered for the session. Please also share your needs and expectations here. Doing so you will allow us to adapt the session content (which is not completly fixed yet) best to your needs.
It would be also very kind, if you would like to state, if you consider yourself to be a beginner or an intermediate or even advanced user of Trados.

For the session itself I would like to build groups of 3 to 5 people, ideally
... See more
Dear All
Please be so kind and state here, that you have registered for the session. Please also share your needs and expectations here. Doing so you will allow us to adapt the session content (which is not completly fixed yet) best to your needs.
It would be also very kind, if you would like to state, if you consider yourself to be a beginner or an intermediate or even advanced user of Trados.

For the session itself I would like to build groups of 3 to 5 people, ideally sharing one table and having at least one intermediate or advanced user among them. The idea in behind is to allow "lookig behind the shoulder" of the neighbour. That´s why I ask you to "out" your estimated level as Trados user.

A laptop is absolutely necessary for the training.
If you are already a Trados user and know the keyboard shortcuts, you will possibly like to have the enhanced PC keyboard with you, as not all shortcucts can be easily performed with a laptop. For such case please consider bringing you keyboard with. However, this will only serve your comfort and has no impact on the session itself.

Finally I would like to say thank you to all registrants, who decide to participate in this session, for making this training possible.

Kind regards
Jerzy

PS
Please apologize also possible language mistakes I may make here or in the correspondence with you or even in the session itself. Please be so kind and correct me, so I can learn and try to avoid the same errors in the future.
Collapse

Sheena Cleland
Sheena Cleland  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Beginner registered Aug 22, 2006

I have now registered for the course and I'm a beginner. I'm very glad of this opportunity to learn more about using the program.

Sheena Cleland
WordSmith
Edinburgh

Mariana Harriague
Mariana Harriague  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another beginner registered here Aug 23, 2006

Hi Jerzy,

Thanks for this opportunity. I look forward to this training session which, I am sure, will prove to be very useful to all.
And I cannot wait to start using Trados!

All the best,

Mariana Harriague
Livingston, UK

United Kingdom
English to French
Beginner Aug 23, 2006

Hi Jerzy,

I've registered for the workshop and very much look forward to it. I have extremely limited experience of Trados although I bought it from Proz.com last year. I would like to know how to create a memory, assess the number of repetitions within a new document, use key functions – basically the whole process. A few minutes about invoicing/discounting methods would be helpful too.

May I suggest you prepare a few clear hand-outs, summarising key functions and pr
... See more
Hi Jerzy,

I've registered for the workshop and very much look forward to it. I have extremely limited experience of Trados although I bought it from Proz.com last year. I would like to know how to create a memory, assess the number of repetitions within a new document, use key functions – basically the whole process. A few minutes about invoicing/discounting methods would be helpful too.

May I suggest you prepare a few clear hand-outs, summarising key functions and processes, which will be useful for future reference.

Thanks,

Catherine

[Edited at 2006-08-23 10:17]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Training in Edinburgh (after the Conference) on Sunday, November 12, 2006

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »