Thread poster: Jack Doughty
Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 00:34
English to Greek
+ ...
Smelly cat Aug 2, 2009

Phoebe's song from Friends, but I guess it was supposed to be bad anyway...

Rebecca Jowers
Rebecca Jowers  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:34
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dead Skunk Aug 2, 2009

"Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road (and it's Stinkin' to High Heaven)" by Loudon Wainwright.
Popular in the U.S. in the 1970s. (Hopefully it didn't make it to Europe!)

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:34
French to English
+ ...
Must say... Aug 2, 2009

Faruk Atabeyli wrote:

"Teenage Enema Nurses in Bondage" by the group Killer Pussy was a hit sometime in the 80's.

this sounds the daftest so far!

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:34
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Haha, Jack! Aug 2, 2009

Jack Doughty wrote:

"Itsy-Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka-Dot Bikini".
"They've Got an Awful Lot of Coffee in Brazil".
"Does the Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavour on the Bedpost Overnight?"
"How Could You Believe Me When I Said I Loved You When You Know I've Been a Liar All My Life?" (sung by Jimmy Durante)

You brought back some great memories. I remember hearing Durante sing that on the raido!

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 17:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Honorable Mention Aug 2, 2009

This one isn't even in the same ballpark as some of the prize-winners mentioned above, but it's still noteworthy, in the bad country-western category:

"I've got the Hungries for Your Love (and I'm Waitin' in Your Welfare Line)," sung by Buck Owens. ("Hungries" is pronounced "hoooongries.")

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
This Pullover Aug 3, 2009

The late Kenny Everett used to claim that Jess Conrad's anthem to knitwear fetishism was the world's worst song. It certainly rivals Jack's Russian classic for sheer banality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGESxjqHf7E

Giles

Stephen Rifkind
Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:34
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Fond memories Aug 3, 2009

From the 'Dr. Dimento" radio program of the 80's:

"Iowa lot to Iowa Pot" (Iowa a golden grand. Iowa in deed, that wonderful weed, the greatest that ever grew in the land.") It isn't bad, but it is "dimented."

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
In Spanish Aug 3, 2009

A lot of the Spanish folk music (which, btw, in some cases I love) often has some really funny or strange titles and contents, like "vallenatos" (music from the "valleys" of Colombia): "Todo no puede llamarse amor" (literally, "You cannot call everything love").

Then you have tangos, from Argentina, full of blood, vengeance, etc. Or "bachatas", from Dominican Republic, full of coconut trees, swinging hips, etc. Or "rancheras", from Mexico, full of tequila, unrequited love, et
... See more
A lot of the Spanish folk music (which, btw, in some cases I love) often has some really funny or strange titles and contents, like "vallenatos" (music from the "valleys" of Colombia): "Todo no puede llamarse amor" (literally, "You cannot call everything love").

Then you have tangos, from Argentina, full of blood, vengeance, etc. Or "bachatas", from Dominican Republic, full of coconut trees, swinging hips, etc. Or "rancheras", from Mexico, full of tequila, unrequited love, etc. (so much for the stereotypes...).

But the thing is that some of the songs themselves can be real soap-opera dramas. A "classic" example (but of pop music) is an Argentinean duet (brother and sister) called "Pimpinela". They are famous for practically performing a mini-drama when they sing, as they take turns to perform each part of their song script. For example, one of their songs is titled "That idiot who calls" ("Ese estúpido que llama"), where basically a couple is discussing how one of them (the woman) is actually having an affair.

In English, I particularly like a punk-rock group which does not really have any bizarre song titles, but rather the name of the group is itself really goofy: "Me First and the Gimme Gimmes". They twist all possible known pop songs into the beats of heavy punk rock, it's great!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

World's Worst Song Title

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »