The woes of refusing to spend a buck on professional translation
Thread poster: Nathaniel2
Nathaniel2
Nathaniel2
Local time: 01:23
Slovak to English
Dec 1, 2009

We all meet up with bad translations, unfortunately quite often, but I generally try not to be gleeful at the misfortune of the victims of these translations. But I couldn't help myself with a recent "find" that I thought might evoke a smile out of those in need of one.
From a restaurant menu: Hamandeggs, garnishment; chickenbreast with flatcheesesause; Beefsteaks will be thermal prepared due to the wish of the customer; chickenkaricayenne hacked meat.
OK, enough. I hope at least som
... See more
We all meet up with bad translations, unfortunately quite often, but I generally try not to be gleeful at the misfortune of the victims of these translations. But I couldn't help myself with a recent "find" that I thought might evoke a smile out of those in need of one.
From a restaurant menu: Hamandeggs, garnishment; chickenbreast with flatcheesesause; Beefsteaks will be thermal prepared due to the wish of the customer; chickenkaricayenne hacked meat.
OK, enough. I hope at least some of you get a giggle out of this like I did.
Collapse

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:23
Russian to English
+ ...
That reminds me . . . Dec 1, 2009

. . . of a menu a friend saw in Iran some years ago. It listed one dish as "Different Stuff." That sounded intriguing, so my friend asked his English-speaking Iranian dining partner for an explanation. The answer he got was, "You know, different stuff." After having eaten several meals already in Iranian restaurants, my adventurous friend was ready for something different, so he ordered it. And to his surprise the dish turned out to be . . . several eggplants with different kinds of stuffin... See more
. . . of a menu a friend saw in Iran some years ago. It listed one dish as "Different Stuff." That sounded intriguing, so my friend asked his English-speaking Iranian dining partner for an explanation. The answer he got was, "You know, different stuff." After having eaten several meals already in Iranian restaurants, my adventurous friend was ready for something different, so he ordered it. And to his surprise the dish turned out to be . . . several eggplants with different kinds of stuffing.Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Barbecued Denmark Dec 1, 2009

In Polish: Dania z grila

Because the same word form is both the plural for dishes or courses, and the the singular for Denmark in Polish, someone just used a Polish-English dictionary to translate it this way.

I'm sure no offense was meant for the Danish people, but visitor from Denmark may have been surprised by seeing their home country in the menu.

Regards,

Piotr

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Beefsteaks will be thermal prepared... chickenkaricayenne hacked meat Dec 1, 2009

I really needed a laugh, and this did it: it just cracked me up!

Thanks!

Andrea Shah
Andrea Shah  Identity Verified
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
There's better salads to be had in Greece Dec 2, 2009

Boiled salad was quite popular in the Athens area this past summer when I last visited.

Ruth Braine
Ruth Braine  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:23
Arabic to English
Peculiar Syrian tastes Dec 2, 2009

I have come across Syrian menus offering 'Chechen fingers' (chicken), 'mashed aborigines' (aubergines) and 'flavoured herpes' (herbal teas)...

Jennifer Taylor
Jennifer Taylor  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:23
Czech to English
+ ...
Love the Syrian Cuisine Dec 2, 2009

I think it was at a Chinese restaurant in St Petersburg that I came across 'fried essence of fish smell', or some such delicacy!

Kobe Vander Beken
Kobe Vander Beken  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:23
English to Dutch
+ ...
Chicken to your pleasure Dec 2, 2009

Here in Peru, when translating their menu, restaurant owners just take a ES>EN dictionary and "translate" word by word.

Things you will often find on the menu in Cusco are:

- Chicken to your pleasure (pollo al gusto)
- Chicken to the garden (polla a la jardinera)
- Pancakes with room (instead of rhum)
etc...

Hester Eymers
Hester Eymers  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oranges in a hurry Dec 3, 2009

On a menu in Brussels it said: gehaaste sinaasappels, a very creative Dutch translation of the original French: oranges pressées. Oranges in a hurry instead of fresh orange juice.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
In a trilingual country? Dec 3, 2009

Hester Eymers wrote:

On a menu in Brussels it said: gehaaste sinaasappels, a very creative Dutch translation of the original French: oranges pressées. Oranges in a hurry instead of fresh orange juice.

Incredible!

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Piotr, have you been to Mazuria? Dec 3, 2009

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

In Polish: Dania z grila

Because the same word form is both the plural for dishes or courses, and the the singular for Denmark in Polish, someone just used a Polish-English dictionary to translate it this way.

I'm sure no offense was meant for the Danish people, but visitor from Denmark may have been surprised by seeing their home country in the menu.

Regards,

Piotr

I can tell you the name of the bar in Mikolajki, where they literally had this on their "English" menu.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Check this out, see who will not laugh Dec 4, 2009

See more
http://pop.pcpop.com/zpt/default.html?MainUrl=http://pop.pcpop.com/080612/4230153.html&referrer=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS335&num=100&q=乾貨的翻譯&btnG=Search&lr=lang_zh-CN|lang_zh-TW|lang_en&aq=f&oq=&aqi=Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The woes of refusing to spend a buck on professional translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »