Thread poster: Helmet80
Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:09
English
+ ...
Pardon my French Jan 27, 2005

I have always understood this comment to mean: "The word I said just now may have sounded like an English swear word. But in fact it is French (foreign)" - although, of course, both parties in the conversation KNOW that in fact the word spoken was indeed a swear word in English.

It is a sort of half-hearted apology and at the same time an attempt to deflect attention, in the same way that a euphemism does, from the perceived crudeness expressed.

Why French? I suspect t
... See more
I have always understood this comment to mean: "The word I said just now may have sounded like an English swear word. But in fact it is French (foreign)" - although, of course, both parties in the conversation KNOW that in fact the word spoken was indeed a swear word in English.

It is a sort of half-hearted apology and at the same time an attempt to deflect attention, in the same way that a euphemism does, from the perceived crudeness expressed.

Why French? I suspect this is more to do with France's reputation for libertinism in England. It was presumably assumed that the French swore with greater abandon.... as indeed the Spanish certainly do.
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 08:09
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Grivoiserie Jan 27, 2005

...which means licentiousness (sic?) and one of our Ger-Fr translators has joined us in the howl about our language on the French forum, saying that we jokers have certainly contributed to the licentious reputation of the French

Perhaps that's what you are referring to, Berni.

In my 50/50 part of the world, some are unilingual, anglo or franc
... See more
...which means licentiousness (sic?) and one of our Ger-Fr translators has joined us in the howl about our language on the French forum, saying that we jokers have certainly contributed to the licentious reputation of the French

Perhaps that's what you are referring to, Berni.

In my 50/50 part of the world, some are unilingual, anglo or franco, and some (fewer still, mind) unfortunately have no tolerance for the other. Hence you will hear a dyed-in-the-wool anglo loudly belch, only to follow his trumpet with the following ridiculous comment: 'pardon my French'. It's a puerile jab at the language that to them sounds like frogs croaking.
<
Needless to say, that boorish behaviour is not unilateral. The more time we take to learn, the freer we become!

I hope one day these behaviours die out, to become mere amusing tidbits for our children to learn in history class and wonder,'Why on earth would someone say something like that???'

Nancy
Collapse

Mary Holihan
Mary Holihan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:09
Member (2010)
French to English
It's russian to me Jan 31, 2005

I have to agree with Levan that we should relax and take it lightly. As Samuel pointed out, it mostly means something one doesn't understand. At a bar I frequent, when one of the patrons has consumed too much (vodka or not), we always say s/he is speaking Russian. Babbling, slurring, etc.; in other words, we cannot understand what s/he is saying.

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:09
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Just not PC. that's all Feb 2, 2005

Mary Holihan wrote:
I have to agree with Levan that we should relax and take it lightly. As Samuel pointed out, it mostly means something one doesn't understand. At a bar I frequent, when one of the patrons has consumed too much (vodka or not), we always say s/he is speaking Russian. Babbling, slurring, etc.; in other words, we cannot understand what s/he is saying.

Dear Mary, I agree that we sometimes use such expressions, and drinking too much of vodka is probably a good excuse to speak Russian after that -- but, still, it's not PC, that's all. Especially at a language site.

"Speak nonsense" or "talk gibberish" is, I suppose, as good as those above. You may also mention Orcish, Dwarvish or Elvish (despite the latter is considered to be a pleasant-to-hear language) in the same effect.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Russians imitating English

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »