Off topic: Translation myths!
Thread poster: yolanda Speece
Kevin Kelly
Kevin Kelly  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:14
Russian to English
+ ...
"I don't understand why you're exhausted at the end of the day... Jul 26, 2005

all you're doing is repeating what other people say. It's not like you have to think."

(Actually said to me by a delegation member after a grueling day of interpreting for a high-level meeting)

Anabel Martínez
Anabel Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Let them do it themselves, then Jul 26, 2005

[quote]Kevin Kelly wrote:

all you're doing is repeating what other people say. It's not like you have to think."

quote]

It's amazing, no wonder there are sooo many bad translations around, if all this is what people generally think of this profession.

I'd like to add a comment about bilingualism: I'm employed as a secretary but the only thing I do the whole day is translating (and most of the times texts done here are not easy at all), so I'd say the reverse also happens, at least I've seen it happen a lot in my country. People employ (female) translators as a secretary

[Edited at 2005-07-26 15:31]

Maria Rosich Andreu
Maria Rosich Andreu  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
#translation myth 7 Jul 26, 2005

translation is not a real job.

- Would it cost so much? But... I mean... you just sit at home and do this. It's not like you have to earn your living with it!

I was so surprised I didn't even slam the telephone down but just stayed there staring at it!

mstkwasa
mstkwasa
Local time: 21:14
English to Japanese
+ ...
You can fix the source text... Jul 26, 2005

Even if the source text doesn't make much sense (poor grammar, mangled sentences...), surely you know what the author of the text intended to say, hence fix it and come up with a wonderful piece of translation.

yolanda Speece
yolanda Speece  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I love this! Jul 26, 2005

Keep them coming!

What about excuses for not contracting with a translator? does anyone have those?

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
we can anticipate needs... Jul 26, 2005

A customer came into my office with a 40 page document describing her purchase of an appartment, the community rules, local regulations, etc. this kind of document in France is very long (in Spain you only get 4-5 pages.)

She told me: I want to have some of this translated, not all, it says plenty of useless things (although she couldn't understand a word of it) just something so that if I die (she is about 50) and my son inherits the appartment he can know a bit about it...
<
... See more
A customer came into my office with a 40 page document describing her purchase of an appartment, the community rules, local regulations, etc. this kind of document in France is very long (in Spain you only get 4-5 pages.)

She told me: I want to have some of this translated, not all, it says plenty of useless things (although she couldn't understand a word of it) just something so that if I die (she is about 50) and my son inherits the appartment he can know a bit about it...

As much as I asked her about what part of the document interested her more, I got no answer... I summarized the community rules, I hope her son will appreciate one day

[Edited at 2005-07-26 19:01]
Collapse

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 13:14
English to French
+ ...
you're not working full-time! Jul 27, 2005

you only interpret 3 days a week, what do you do with all that free time?

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:14
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Have you looked at the profiles... Jul 28, 2005

...of sone of the people who offer "quality/excellent translations"?

yolanda Speece wrote:

Can Altinbay wrote:

yolanda Speece wrote:

(A real one or a wannabe)
That depends on the translator.

There are plenty of "real" ones here who don't look real at all when you see their profiles. Nope, not anming names.

[Edited at 2005-07-26 06:07]

yolanda Speece
yolanda Speece  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ah! I get the picture! Jul 28, 2005

Can Altinbay wrote:

...of sone of the people who offer "quality/excellent translations"?

yolanda Speece wrote:

Can Altinbay wrote:

yolanda Speece wrote:

(A real one or a wannabe)
That depends on the translator.

There are plenty of "real" ones here who don't look real at all when you see their profiles. Nope, not anming names.

[Edited at 2005-07-26 06:07]

Ana Naglić
Ana Naglić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
... Jul 29, 2005

a.) Just RETYPE the text INTO English.
b.) Anyone can learn English from MTV/films.
c.) How do you say... (a very technical word in the unknown field)? Well, you MUST know that, you're a translator!
d.) I'll pay you only for the time when you were actally speaking (interpreting for the XY Asian company).
e.) Why are you spending all that money on dictionaries? You already have a few!
f.) How do you click on a link?
g.) (Web design related) I know you said you
... See more
a.) Just RETYPE the text INTO English.
b.) Anyone can learn English from MTV/films.
c.) How do you say... (a very technical word in the unknown field)? Well, you MUST know that, you're a translator!
d.) I'll pay you only for the time when you were actally speaking (interpreting for the XY Asian company).
e.) Why are you spending all that money on dictionaries? You already have a few!
f.) How do you click on a link?
g.) (Web design related) I know you said you made that wab page and published it on the (requested) address. In the Internet. But WHERE is that?
h.) We are a serious agency. I'll pay you when the client pays me.
i.) The freelance translator is supposed to work only for our agency.
j.) Why won't you accept such rate? You may find plenty of language students translating for less, I'm doing you a favour.
k.) You can do 3500 words translation in 2 hours.
l.) What do you mean, I can't edit your translation work? I had English as a subject in my secondary school.
m.) Are you still unemployed (i.e. working as a freelancer)?
Collapse

Tadzio (X)
Tadzio (X)
English to Spanish
You mean "Work"??? Jul 30, 2005

Maria Rosich Andreu wrote:

Translation is not a real job.

“You mean WORK? I don't work. I make so much money from my translations that I do not need to work.”
)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation myths!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »