Număr de pagini:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: When you have nothing to translate, how do you occupy yourself?
Inițiatorul discuției: ProZ.com Staff
Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
Local time: 18:42
din engleză în franceză
+ ...
Other Jul 21, 2010

That happens only when I decide it is time for a long week-end or a holiday!

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Local time: 17:42
din spaniolă în engleză
+ ...
writing too! Jul 21, 2010

Although it's all too similar to translating in many ways, when I have a gap between translation jobs I turn to my first passion, which is writing.

How wonderful it is to be in charge of both content and form! I am currently writing a children's novel (early teens).

Other than that I go out and walk the dog, which is always a good way to clear my thoughts and get the creative juices flowing.

It's nice to see there are plenty of other translators who write i
... See more
Although it's all too similar to translating in many ways, when I have a gap between translation jobs I turn to my first passion, which is writing.

How wonderful it is to be in charge of both content and form! I am currently writing a children's novel (early teens).

Other than that I go out and walk the dog, which is always a good way to clear my thoughts and get the creative juices flowing.

It's nice to see there are plenty of other translators who write in their "spare" time.
Collapse

Paulo Celestino Guimaraes
Paulo Celestino Guimaraes  Identity Verified
Brazilia
Local time: 13:42
din engleză în portugheză
+ ...
My mother has Alzheimer ... Jul 21, 2010

and I am the one who takes care of her next to caregivers. Believe me I am pretty busy all time.

Mariam Osmann
Mariam Osmann
Egipt
Local time: 19:42
Membru (2007)
din engleză în arabă
+ ...
All of them and more Jul 21, 2010

According to the status,
What follows is usually preparing invoices and tracking already issued ones.

If family & friends are upset after a long project, I will be a family and friend time.

If not I work on my postgraduate research, housekeep, read, etc.

Cristina Bolohan
Cristina Bolohan  Identity Verified
România
Membru (2008)
din engleză în română
+ ...
All of them Jul 21, 2010

All of them + volunteering

Andres Larsen
Andres Larsen
Venezuela
Local time: 12:42
din spaniolă în engleză
+ ...
trying to help out colleagues in KudoZ Jul 21, 2010

trying to help out colleagues in KudoZ and its competitor TCTerms while in the process often learning new terms I was previously unaware of

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Membru (2005)
din germană în engleză
+ ...
All of them + volunteering Jul 21, 2010

Except marketing.

Also, I have a long term project that sometimes gets squeezed out by short, 24h projects, so there is always that.

Laura Bissio CT
Laura Bissio CT  Identity Verified
Uruguay
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
all of the above Jul 21, 2010

Jack Doughty wrote:

The poll includes the option "None of the above". It should also include an option "All of the above".

Agree!

Richard Boulter
Richard Boulter  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
Local time: 10:42
din spaniolă în engleză
+ ...
All of them; and Volunteering Jul 21, 2010

I agree that there should be a selection: All of them except TV. I also volunteer time as an ESL tutor and interpreting mentor with refugees in some of the 150 language groups present in my small town. However, some of this also counts as 'marketing' as I'm in contact with the lingist community; besides, many refugees have masters degrees or PhD's in their fields and will be high-salary producers in the U.S. as soon as they get a working level of competency in English. They can be future cust... See more
I agree that there should be a selection: All of them except TV. I also volunteer time as an ESL tutor and interpreting mentor with refugees in some of the 150 language groups present in my small town. However, some of this also counts as 'marketing' as I'm in contact with the lingist community; besides, many refugees have masters degrees or PhD's in their fields and will be high-salary producers in the U.S. as soon as they get a working level of competency in English. They can be future customers for translations of their English publications or upper-level English tutoring clients.

Tutoring ESL also counts as study time for me, because I often need to analyze the reasons for English expressions and usages, as well as our cultural features. Competency in my own native culture and language is essential to providing my services as both a translator and an interpreter. Furthermore, some of the students are experts in technical material that I need to know, in order to translate properly for my client.

[Edited at 2010-07-21 13:25 GMT]
Collapse

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
Membru (2009)
din franceză în engleză
Knitting Jul 21, 2010

When I am truly idle, I like to sit down with a French movie and knit the night away.

Oleg Osipov
Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Federaţia Rusă
din engleză în rusă
+ ...
Also... Jul 21, 2010

... working for the US travel agency in the evening, helping people to surf the globe.

Carmen Valentin-Rodriguez
Carmen Valentin-Rodriguez
Statele Unite
Membru (2008)
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
All of the above Jul 21, 2010

Jack Doughty wrote:

The poll includes the option "None of the above". It should also include an option "All of the above".

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazilia
din portugheză în engleză
+ ...
Various things... Jul 21, 2010

Music (playing, composing, arranging, listening), writing (finishing up my autobiography), communicating with friends on Facebook, cooking, housework, reading, watching rented movies or YouTube on my MacBook, etc., etc.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finlanda
Membru (2003)
din finlandeză în germană
+ ...
Watching tv Jul 21, 2010

Of course I do also other things, like jogging, cycling, swimming, but most of my time I spend looking at tv programs I have captured on my digital reciever during the evenings. There are so many good programs that it is impossible to watch them in real time.

Zarina
Zarina  Identity Verified
Mexic
din germană în spaniolă
+ ...
lots of other things... Jul 21, 2010

I spend "the rest of my time":

going to university where I am aiming towards my second degree
writing, playing and recording music
reading novels and watching movies
working as an interpreter
spending time with my dog and my boyfriend...

...and of course the inevitable things such as cooking and housework.

Număr de pagini:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorii acestui forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When you have nothing to translate, how do you occupy yourself?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »