John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:24
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Oct 20, 2016

I have been going back and forth with another inquiry which I believe to be a scam, from ThompsoN Jennifer at [email protected] (yes, including the capital N and the different spellings of Thomson/Thompson).

This person sent me a document on Racial Discrimination which is widely available on the internet, asking for a translation (the translation is also already on the internet). She (he?) apparently didn't know what lan
... See more
I have been going back and forth with another inquiry which I believe to be a scam, from ThompsoN Jennifer at [email protected] (yes, including the capital N and the different spellings of Thomson/Thompson).

This person sent me a document on Racial Discrimination which is widely available on the internet, asking for a translation (the translation is also already on the internet). She (he?) apparently didn't know what language it needed to be translated into or what languages I do. All this person wanted was my banking details or to send me a mobile check.

[Edited at 2016-10-20 13:15 GMT]
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:24
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
A confused spammer :D Oct 20, 2016

Hi John,

thank you for posting this.

Usually, spammers are quite organized, but this one doesn't seem to follow the rules.

finnword1
finnword1
United States
English to Finnish
+ ...
I have seen those from time to time Oct 20, 2016

... a large article to be translated (usually found on the Internet, published years ago), but wanting to know which language pair I work with. I have been telling that I do Mesopotamian into Double Dutch. Evidently not needed, as I never hear anything back ....

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

This scam has been around for a long time Oct 20, 2016

See http://www.proz.com/?sp=forum&action=SearchForum&advanced=y

That "Racial Discrimination" article has gotten a lot of mileage. If you were contacted via ProZ, could you please forward the message with the headers to ProZ staff, so they can track down the sender and block him/her?

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gmail Oct 20, 2016

Unfortunately, it was via a Gmail address and the headers only point to Google, not the originator.

However, I did have a little bit of fun, by pointing to the article at http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-37564408 and telling them I was considering reporting it to Interpol.

[Edited at 2016-10-20 17:18 GMT]

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:24
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Nice Oct 20, 2016

John Fossey wrote:

... and telling them I was considering reporting it to Interpol.

[Edited at 2016-10-20 17:18 GMT]

John Lonergan
John Lonergan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:24
German to English
+ ...
Thanks! Feb 28, 2017

Thanks everyone. I received the following note from her yesterday:
Hello ,

I'm in need of a translator job and i will like to know your availability and rate you work on ...

Hope to read from you asap,

Regards.

When I responded, she sent back the following:
Good to hear from you ... I have an articles to be translated into your languages and the first contain 3,875 words and the second contain 14,180 words,The article are for pub
... See more
Thanks everyone. I received the following note from her yesterday:
Hello ,

I'm in need of a translator job and i will like to know your availability and rate you work on ...

Hope to read from you asap,

Regards.

When I responded, she sent back the following:
Good to hear from you ... I have an articles to be translated into your languages and the first contain 3,875 words and the second contain 14,180 words,The article are for publication.The deadline for the document is Match 20th will you be able to work this out with the time frame? if yes then get back to me with your quote for both document,See the document attached .
Get back asap,

Regards.

Then she wrote (which is confusing and irrelevant):
Good to read from you that you can meet with the deadline..I will like you to get back with your mailing address to process the payment asap and you can start with the job ,

Best Regards.

Is he/she trying to get bank info?

Thanks to all you on ProZ for warning me of this scammer/spammer!
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Possibly excess amount check Feb 28, 2017

Potentially the scammer may want bank information, but in the US, the scam often involves a fake check issued for an amount substantially greater than what was agreed upon. You will be expected to refund the excess (plus deducting a nominal amount for your trouble).

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 08:24
Japanese to English
Overpayment scam Mar 1, 2017

John Lonergan wrote:
Is he/she trying to get bank info?

Nope. It's a classic overpayment scam, so she is trying to get your mailing address so she can send you a fake check or money order. Google "overpayment scam" for more details.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another scam

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »