Jose Melgarejo
委内瑞拉
Local time: 17:34
正式会员 (自2021)
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
May 13

Hey people, thank you in advance!

Ok, I got a test from a potential client, but I'm in a bit of a dilemma. From the get go, No problem with the translation side, it's honestly pretty much within the scope of what I do. However, the test showcased here is a technical step-by-step procedure with 3 repeated 1s. In this way:

1-
1-
1-
2-
3-
4-
5-
etc-

Basic instinct tells me I need to number them properly and it's part o
... See more
Hey people, thank you in advance!

Ok, I got a test from a potential client, but I'm in a bit of a dilemma. From the get go, No problem with the translation side, it's honestly pretty much within the scope of what I do. However, the test showcased here is a technical step-by-step procedure with 3 repeated 1s. In this way:

1-
1-
1-
2-
3-
4-
5-
etc-

Basic instinct tells me I need to number them properly and it's part of the test, but I'd love a second opinion.
Collapse

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 22:34
Dutch荷兰语译成English英语
+ ...
Communication May 13

What would you do if this was a real project rather than a test?

If you think there's an error in the source you need to let your client know.

If you're not sure of the best approach, you need to ask. Good communication with our clients is part of our role.

It could well be that your potential client has added some deliberate mistakes into the text to see how you deal with them.

Josephine Cassar
Jose Melgarejo
Dan Lucas
Renée van Bijsterveld
expressisverbis
Michele Fauble
Kay Denney

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
法国
Local time: 23:34
French法语译成English英语
. May 13

I'd correct the numbering, and put in a translator's note that I corrected an apparent error in the source text. and if necessary I would give an explanation as to why the source is wrong. If they really do want three "1"s, they can easily change it back themselves. And if they want to correct the source document to align with your correct translation, they can copy from your file.
Normally I would point out in the delivery email that there's a note, and ask them to get back to me if they
... See more
I'd correct the numbering, and put in a translator's note that I corrected an apparent error in the source text. and if necessary I would give an explanation as to why the source is wrong. If they really do want three "1"s, they can easily change it back themselves. And if they want to correct the source document to align with your correct translation, they can copy from your file.
Normally I would point out in the delivery email that there's a note, and ask them to get back to me if they need to discuss it, or to let me know what they went with finally.
The best clients are always thrilled when you catch errors.
Collapse

Rachel Waddington
Jose Melgarejo
Philip Lees
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Rita Translator

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

本论坛的版主
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Technical document test help.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »