Thread poster: Katri Varvikko
Katri Varvikko
Katri Varvikko
Finland
Local time: 18:28
English to Finnish
Dec 2, 2021

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has moved to Canada as a freelancer? I mean, you have been working as a freelancer in your country of origin and then decided to relocate. I'd like to move to Canada permanently but also to be with my Canadian partner. I have been trying to (well, we both have) find information on "moving" my business there but I can't seem to find anything. And if my partner decides to sponsor me, what about my work permit? Does being a freelancer make any differe
... See more
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has moved to Canada as a freelancer? I mean, you have been working as a freelancer in your country of origin and then decided to relocate. I'd like to move to Canada permanently but also to be with my Canadian partner. I have been trying to (well, we both have) find information on "moving" my business there but I can't seem to find anything. And if my partner decides to sponsor me, what about my work permit? Does being a freelancer make any difference? I don't meet the criteria for Self-employed program so that's out of the question. Taxation is another thing I'm unsure of and if I need to register my business.

I do apologize if the text seems a bit messy and all over the place, there are just so many things to consider and it's hard to keep everything organized in your head. Please fee free to ask if anything comes up! Any kind of help or advice would be most welcome!
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 09:28
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not to worry Dec 2, 2021

Hello Katri,

I can understand that you feel overwhelmed right now, but let me reassure you on a few points. First, I would recommend that you get in touch with an immigration consultant who can help you with with everything involved in your immigration.

Whether you need a work permit I don't know - that is an immigration consultant can answer. If you don't have a big practice, you do not need to incorporate as a company. You simply register your business name (there ar
... See more
Hello Katri,

I can understand that you feel overwhelmed right now, but let me reassure you on a few points. First, I would recommend that you get in touch with an immigration consultant who can help you with with everything involved in your immigration.

Whether you need a work permit I don't know - that is an immigration consultant can answer. If you don't have a big practice, you do not need to incorporate as a company. You simply register your business name (there are Registries in every province and every city) and start translating. You will have to report your income annually along with any other income you may have. Any expenses for your business (such as computer programs for example) are tax deductible, you just need to keep records of everything. As long as your income is under $30,000, you do not have to charge GST (VAT). Once you have business income and expenses, you will need to have an accountant to do your taxes for you. Other than paying taxes, there is no government involvement in a small freelance business such as yours.

Once you're here, I recommend that you become a member of the translators association in the province where you live. It's an opportunity to get to know people and learn more about translation in Canada.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Good luck!
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 17:28
French to English
+ ...
It's possible but slow Dec 2, 2021

I haven't moved but have researched this subject fairly thoroughly. As a freelance translator, you are eligible to immigrate as a self-employed person with relevant experience in cultural activities. However, even if you are an established translator, you still need to pass language tests, and the processing time is quite long (currently 3 years). Faster alternative... See more
I haven't moved but have researched this subject fairly thoroughly. As a freelance translator, you are eligible to immigrate as a self-employed person with relevant experience in cultural activities. However, even if you are an established translator, you still need to pass language tests, and the processing time is quite long (currently 3 years). Faster alternatives are coming as a regular skilled worker (a job offer isn't required but helps a lot), or be sponsored by your partner (an official marriage isn't required, just a steady relationship will do). All the three variants give you the right to work in Canada as an employee more or less immediately upon arrival. You can also register a new business. Moving an existing business entity from one country to another is generally impossible; you may register an overseas office of an existing business, but for a one-person company it's a huge overkill.

[Edited at 2021-12-02 22:43 GMT]
Collapse

Katri Varvikko
Katri Varvikko
Finland
Local time: 18:28
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
Gotta keep on going Dec 7, 2021

Thank you both for your responses! Need to discuss this with my partner and keep on going!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving to Canada as a freelance translator

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »