Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What would the CAT tool of your dreams be like?
Thread poster: Viktoria Gimbe
USER0059 (X)
USER0059 (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:30
English to Finnish
+ ...
One size will not fit all Jul 21, 2008

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

Thor Kottelin wrote:

I would like the tool to be entirely web-based, with no local installation necessary.

That sounds way too dangerous to me: what if you Internet service goes down for a few hours? No Internet no tool? No tool no work. No thanks.

My work necessitates Internet access, so my connectivity is rather fault-tolerant. I am more concerned with the effort of setting up and maintaining software.

However, I do understand that conditions vary. This was why I mentioned the need for locally cached copies.

Maybe we can agree that the tool should have the option of running in a web-based mode.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:30
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Certainly, that would be a useful option Jul 21, 2008

Thor Kottelin wrote:

Maybe we can agree that the tool should have the option of running in a web-based mode.

Certainly: just like Idiom workbench or online.

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:30
French to English
+ ...
No need to dream... Jul 31, 2008

Mykhailo Voloshko wrote:

My two cents:

1. What if we could create the term base (like in MultiTerm), and then just drag a term from the source segment to the target one - and when we drop it, we have the translated term in the target segment.
2. What if we don't see the tags (e.g. in tag editor) - but we see the result of tagging instead. To have the same formatting in the target segment, it would be nice to have smth like 'copy format' feature (as in MS Word). And it could be very desirable to see pictures (in tag editor), to which the text segments refer (if any).

It doesn't hurt to dream!

... MemoQ already does both these things, as well everthing initially mentioned by Viktoria, with the exception of being platform independent.

Regards,
David Turner

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My2c Aug 1, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
1. Clean, simple user interface, with keyboard shortcuts that work just as well on laptops (I know, this request is getting old - just as old as Trados shortcuts not working on laptops).

Or, the ability to clean up the interface by deselecting certain toolbars.

2. The ability to handle all Office file formats, and a few more, using a single WYSIWYG interface.

Personally I don't mind translating in different interfaces (it makes for a nice change) as long as I know for sure that the TM formats and export formats are 100% mutually compatible, and the varioius tools are capable of being included in the same workflows. Also, all these interfaces should share certain editing functions, and should "feel" the same way, even though they may have different functions and different ways of managing workflow.

3. The ability to convert all translatable files into a universal file format, perhaps XML, making file sharing easy and eliminating the need for a team to work using the same CAT tool.

I'm not sure if this is practical. I'd much rather have a CAT tool that makes translation simple. If you try to put too much into a single format, the format becomes very complex. TTX is a case in point -- a very complex format just for the sake of uniformity. I would not expect my HTML translating interface to look and work the same as my MIF translating interface. Besides, in some formats I value the ability to see the underlying code, whereas in other formats I want to see only the editable text.

4. Advanced translation memory maintenance features. By this, I mean having access to full text search of TMs internally, without restrictions, as ApSic XBench allows us to do for instance. Also, being able to add, remove and edit text fields (I know of no CAT tool that can do this). It goes without saying that I love Trados's text field features and I now can't live without them.

Or rather, a standalone tool that comes with it, that can do all those things. For me, the TM management inside the CAT tool should be simple. Advanced operations are to be done outside it, even by third-party tools. There's another reason for an open underlying format.

5. The possibility to export/import TMs in formats that can be picked up by other tools as well. For example, TMs as Excel worksheets and/or TMs as CSV files.

This item alone will increase the price of the tool significantly, because the tool would have to have been tested with a variety of combinations of various versions of each operating system and program.

6. Platform independent.

I only work on one platform, so this is not really important to me. In fact, if a tool was great but only worked on another operating system, I would think twice about using it, because I'd be forced to use that other operating system's other functions, which differ from my own.

7. Comes with an integrated terminology management tool that is much, much more user-friendly than MultiTerm.

Or a suite of terminology tools with different levels of complexity for various types of tasks.

8. No SDLX-like format painting - rather TagEditor-like tagging.

Depends entirely on the type of text and complexity of the formatting. I wouldn't mind SDLX-like format painting if it were possible to do so using mouse only.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:30
French to English
Just one thing Aug 1, 2008

I'm really not interested in the bells and whistles and platforms and interfaces and widgets and Java all that stuff.

What I want is to actually do with translation, shocking though it may seem.

If, during a translation, I decide to change my mind about the translation of a segment which occurs more than once (100% match, in other words), I want the tool to realise what I've done and change all the other previous occurrences (or, indeed, subsequent occurrences, if this
... See more
I'm really not interested in the bells and whistles and platforms and interfaces and widgets and Java all that stuff.

If, during a translation, I decide to change my mind about the translation of a segment which occurs more than once (100% match, in other words), I want the tool to realise what I've done and change all the other previous occurrences (or, indeed, subsequent occurrences, if this happens in proof-reading), or, at least, to find 'em and suggest that I change 'em.

AFAIK, Wordfast doesnt do this (I have asked around, and given the explanation and my understanding of how it works (currently), I can see why it doesn't).
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
My Dream CAT :) Aug 2, 2008

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

It should have free filters for all major DTP programs ( I don't want to buy CopyFlow Gold for QuarkXpress files)

It should provide free updates for at least 5 years

It should provide regular service packs

It should have 3 versions: a lite version, a professional version, and an agency version
(free lite version for project prepared by the agency version)

It should be a standalone program (not working on MS Word)

It should be a 3-in 1 program (translation editor, translation memory editor and term/glossary editor)

It should have keyboard shortcuts for common tasks (I don't like using the mouse)

It should allow translation of too many formats and files (sometimes hundreds of them) in a single project

Except Copy Flow etc., you say Deja Vu X? ;P

Cheers
GG

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Just one thing Aug 4, 2008

Charlie Bavington wrote:
If, during a translation, I decide to change my mind about the translation of a segment which occurs more than once (100% match, in other words), I want the tool to realise what I've done and change all the other previous occurrences (or, indeed, subsequent occurrences, if this happens in proof-reading), or, at least, to find 'em and suggest that I change 'em.

Deja Vu X will do this even if you have hundreds of files in different formats in your project.

Rds,
David Turner

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Replacing 100% matches... Aug 4, 2008

Charlie Bavington wrote:

DVX.

You have at least 2 simple ways:
1) If AutoPropagate feature is enabled and the segments aren't marked as finished, just change the translation of the translated segment.
2) If the segments are marked as finished, select your sentence, sort the project alphabetically and you'll have all the occurrencies in one place.
Then you can choose the method you prefer (retranslate each segment using AutoAssembly (Ctrl+A) if you have few segments, delete the translations and pretranslate if you have a lot of them...)

Cheers
GG

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What would the CAT tool of your dreams be like?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »