What CAT workflow for Framemaker with client translator?
Thread poster: linguatecdirect
linguatecdirect
linguatecdirect
Local time: 10:35
English
May 21, 2009

I've been asked to do management only on a large Chinese job in Framemaker where the client will be using their own internal translator. I'm responsible for getting the content out of FM, into a format their translator can work on, then back into FM. I would normally use Trados and S-tagger for this, but they don't have tageditor, nor does the translator know how to use any CAT.

I guess I'm thinking to create two sets of files, one tagged and one just the text. Then I'll create a Tr
... See more
I've been asked to do management only on a large Chinese job in Framemaker where the client will be using their own internal translator. I'm responsible for getting the content out of FM, into a format their translator can work on, then back into FM. I would normally use Trados and S-tagger for this, but they don't have tageditor, nor does the translator know how to use any CAT.

I guess I'm thinking to create two sets of files, one tagged and one just the text. Then I'll create a Trados TMX populated from the untagged files by just aligning them with a copy of themselves. Then I'll have the client's translator work directly on that TMX file in an editor. Then I'll take that TMX and use it to translate the tagged files.

Maybe another option would be to set up my machine for remote access, train him just a bit and have him work in tageditor remotely.

I don't know. Anyone have any other thoughts on how you might do this. Is there some CAT that is set up for this kind of situation?
Collapse

Mauricio Manzo
Mauricio Manzo  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:35
English to Spanish
Deja Vu May 22, 2009

There is process in Deja Vu, though it has many steps it is fairly simple. Create the project, populate the target with the source, send project to TM, clear all translations, autotranslate the file (this will allow you to export as External View in RTF format as populated rows will have a state). The file generated has many columns, copy and paste source and target in another MS Word, externalize the source and send to translation. Once you have the file back, copy target in the original export... See more
There is process in Deja Vu, though it has many steps it is fairly simple. Create the project, populate the target with the source, send project to TM, clear all translations, autotranslate the file (this will allow you to export as External View in RTF format as populated rows will have a state). The file generated has many columns, copy and paste source and target in another MS Word, externalize the source and send to translation. Once you have the file back, copy target in the original exported file and import in DV. Finally, export as MIF.

In SDLX, you can probably generate an Excel file from the ITD with the Utilities function, but do not know whether there is a way to reimport translations. Probably, generating a TM a running it on the ITD, but due to format differences, this may not work for you as there may be fuzzy matches and formatting to be checked.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:35
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trados/STagger, producing RTF files May 22, 2009

STagger will let you produce RTF files instead of TTX files. The RTF files can be easily translated with any CAT tool, or even without a CAT tool, simply using Word.

I strongly recommend STagger as it will let you check everything before converting the translation back to FrameMaker. I don't have experience with Far East character sets, but I reckon it should be no problem at all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What CAT workflow for Framemaker with client translator?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »