Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 18:58
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
... so they all work with windows, do they not? Oct 23, 2009

... neither of them works with Windows, because neither of them is a native Windows application...

Huh!?

Anything, that's based on Java, works with Windows. And Mac OSX and Linux as well.

Alan Amos
Alan Amos  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Alternatives to Trados Oct 30, 2009

Gabriela González wrote:
The price of Trados and the other memory tools for sale is just impossible to afford in my case.

Hello Gabriela,

I have seen a post or two - if I remember correctly, on this site - made by someone explaining how to use one of the less expensive CAT tools so that it appeared that you were using Trados. I saw this a year or two ago and so you'd need to check that didn't apply to the old Trados 6 TMs. I think it was describing how to use Wordfast but I'm not sure and I think there was a bit more to it than simply exporting the TM.

(Edit)
I've just found this thread:
http://www.proz.com/topic/86812
which is relevant, particularly Ulf Samuelsson's post about simulating Trados with Wordfast
(/Edit)

Best wishes,

Alan

[Edited at 2009-10-30 12:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-30 13:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-30 13:18 GMT]

tradugag
tradugag  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Alan! Oct 31, 2009

Let's see what I can find out there! Thank you very much for your suggestion! Regards from Argentina, Gabriela.

Ahmed Shams
Ahmed Shams
Saudi Arabia
English to Arabic
YES, SURE...There are MANY MANY... Nov 13, 2009

Hello Gabriela,

It's really a big problem for FreeLance Translators to buy such Imaginary-expensive CAT Solutions, I searched the Net and Finally Found These Progs:

1-Anaphraseus (open source CAT tool)
(HOME-PAGE-URL-HERE:) http://anaphraseus.sourceforge.net/
(Manua
... See more
Hello Gabriela,

It's really a big problem for FreeLance Translators to buy such Imaginary-expensive CAT Solutions, I searched the Net and Finally Found These Progs:

1-Anaphraseus (open source CAT tool)
(HOME-PAGE-URL-HERE:) http://anaphraseus.sourceforge.net/
(Manual-URL-HERE:) http://www.linguasos.org/bsoft/AnaphraseusManual_1.23b.html

2-OmegaT - multiplatform CAT tool
(URL:) http://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat/

Please read Details and comments on each Software so you can choose correctly.

Thank You,
Ahmed Shams
Collapse

Wolf Kux
Wolf Kux  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:58
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Trados x Used Cars May 16, 2010

Ola, Gabriela González !

just searching about "DGT Translation Memory ", I found this forum. If a new version of Trados is too expensive for your argentinian pesos, I give you 3 suggestions:

a) sometimes Trados owners makes offers on www.proz.com for a so-called "group selling" (or alike). They give you a great rebate, say 30-60% during one week or so. I purchased my Trados 2009 SP
... See more
Ola, Gabriela González !

just searching about "DGT Translation Memory ", I found this forum. If a new version of Trados is too expensive for your argentinian pesos, I give you 3 suggestions:

a) sometimes Trados owners makes offers on www.proz.com for a so-called "group selling" (or alike). They give you a great rebate, say 30-60% during one week or so. I purchased my Trados 2009 SP2 with such rebate for a month or two ago. Those offers appears on main page;

b) on the other hand, I saw here at www.proz.com some people selling their old Trados licenses (like as used cars selling). I do not know if a license transfer is accepted by Trados, but in this case a good negotiation between you and the seller may result an acceptable price. Of course, you could not try out such product, and need to be in high confidence with the seller, otherwise you may become out of money and without Trados;

c) I am not sure about this, but I think that is possible to "rent" Trados during a limited time period. I read something about this, but I am not sure. Microsoft plans to rent "MS Office".

Take all those suggestions at your own risk.

HTH

Wolf Kux
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
More insight May 16, 2010

Wolf Kux wrote:
b) on the other hand, I saw here at www.proz.com some people selling their old Trados licenses (like as used cars selling). I do not know if a license transfer is accepted by Trados, but in this case a good negotiation between you and the seller may result an acceptable price.

The EULA does not allow anybody to sell their licenses. If you purchase Trados from anyone else but SDL or their authorised distributors, you will be using an illegal copy, no matter how much you have paid for it.

c) I am not sure about this, but I think that is possible to "rent" Trados during a limited time period. I read something about this, but I am not sure.

You can learn more here: http://www.translationzone.com/en/products/sdl-trados-studio-2009-starter/

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
A lateral / orthogonal point of view ... May 16, 2010

I have started years ago with Trados. Since that time I have collected a number of CAT tools (several versions of Trados, DejaVu, SDL, Across, Passolo, Transit , Wordfast, OmegaT ... see, I am half hunter, half gatherer) and evidently I must have paid a bundle for it all.

Today the price (or the amortized value) of all this software is negigible in comparison to the value of my translation memories. The software comes and goes - some do stay, read on - but the Translation memori
... See more
I have started years ago with Trados. Since that time I have collected a number of CAT tools (several versions of Trados, DejaVu, SDL, Across, Passolo, Transit , Wordfast, OmegaT ... see, I am half hunter, half gatherer) and evidently I must have paid a bundle for it all.

Today the price (or the amortized value) of all this software is negigible in comparison to the value of my translation memories. The software comes and goes - some do stay, read on - but the Translation memories (and terminologies) are here to stay with me.

So the main issue for me now is, how to keep my translation memories free of any bounds to a specific product: i.e. freeware should mean freeTranslation Memory ware. The best answer to that is the TMX format- and its offsprings - , so this is the first thing I would check.

By the way the last few weeks I used OmegaT extensively, TagEditor often and Transit once (as a favour to a colleague - I could even find out how to import and export TMX to Transit, one forgets all this so fast. Cost me half the time I spent on the translation...)

Coming out: I am active in OmegaT project as the documentation manager, but I hope my contribution was even-handed.
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Open Source Freeware Translation Memory May 16, 2010

Gabriela González wrote:

Hello...! I am a freelance translator and would like to ask if there is any open source translation memory (freeware) that you can download and legally use for free -it doesn't matter if it is too simple- or if all of these products should be necessarily bought by the translators without no other possible choice.

Thank you very much in advance for your answers and information!

Gabriela (Buenos Aires - Argentina)

Hi Gabiela: I will not answer your question because you have already received other relevant feedback and suggestions from other colleagues. But, I would let you know that MemoQ has a 45-day trial full version that allows to export to the Trados bilingual format (uncleaned) and to export his memory to a full compatible TMX format without any error (at least in my experience and I checked it with the TMX validator and imported it again to the Trados WB).

The problem is you have to make backup copies of all original files, translated files and exorted memories because after the trial period, it will not allow you to access to any older project and the reduced version is completely useless. Having back-ups of the files mentioned before will allow you at least to use them with other CAT tools you may use. Good luck!

[Editado a las 2010-05-16 14:32 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Open Source Freeware Translation Memory

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »