CAT tools file analysis - only against TM?
Thread poster: Dr. Andrew Frankland
Dr. Andrew Frankland
Dr. Andrew Frankland  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:37
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Mar 18, 2010

Dear All,

I was simply wondering whether, when I analyse a file or group of files with a CAT tool, the program compares the TUs with the selected TM only or whether it also checks for matches within the file itself.

Thanks,

Andy

Magdalena Szewciów
Magdalena Szewciów  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Yes Mar 18, 2010

Yes, Andrew, but you can always select an empty TM to avoid any misguidance.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Only against TM Mar 18, 2010

Dr. Andrew Frankland wrote:
I was simply wondering whether, when I analyse a file or group of files with a CAT tool, the program compares the TUs with the selected TM only or whether it also checks for matches within the file itself.

I know of no CAT tool that checks the text against itself when doing an analysis. The only self-checking it does is to check for repetitions. But no CAT tool (correct me if I'm wrong) checks the file's own strings for fuzzy matches among its own strings.

This is why if you do an analysis with an empty TM, there are no fuzzy matches indicated in the analysis (only repetitions and uniques).

It would be interesting to have such a function, though. Essentially the program would have compare every string against the entire rest of the file. It would help a translator get an idea of how long it might take to translate a file.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
MemoQ Mar 18, 2010

MemoQ can do that. In fact, you can analyze files without any TM and still get fuzzies.

To quote the help file:

Homogeneity: Analysis against the segments within the selected scope is called homogeneity analysis. This is one of memoQ's power features. Check this check box to emulate building a translation memory during translation, and see the savings that will result from the internal similarities within the project. Using homogeneity, you are able to see the benefits
... See more
MemoQ can do that. In fact, you can analyze files without any TM and still get fuzzies.

To quote the help file:

Homogeneity: Analysis against the segments within the selected scope is called homogeneity analysis. This is one of memoQ's power features. Check this check box to emulate building a translation memory during translation, and see the savings that will result from the internal similarities within the project. Using homogeneity, you are able to see the benefits of your future contribution – i.e. the contribution while you will be translating – to the translation memory. You are also able to give a much better estimation of your resources to be spent on translation than without homogeneity.

DejaVuX has "Internal repetition" count, but I am not sure if it checks against similar - not identical - segments.
Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Internal fuzzy matching? Yes, it's possible Mar 18, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

I know of no CAT tool that checks the text against itself when doing an analysis. The only self-checking it does is to check for repetitions. But no CAT tool (correct me if I'm wrong) checks the file's own strings for fuzzy matches among its own strings.

It's possible. AFAIR there are four-five tools that can do this trick, from desktop tools to bigger TMS systems.

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
MetaTexis Mar 18, 2010

Hello Wojciech,

what you are asking for can be called "internal leverage" (versus "external leverage" based on a TM)

MetaTexis for Word can do both leverage types. You can run both types at the same time, or only one of the two types, and, what's more, in the results there is a clear separation between the two leverage types.

You can download at trial version
... See more
Hello Wojciech,

what you are asking for can be called "internal leverage" (versus "external leverage" based on a TM)

MetaTexis for Word can do both leverage types. You can run both types at the same time, or only one of the two types, and, what's more, in the results there is a clear separation between the two leverage types.

You can download at trial version of MetaTexis at www.metatexis.com.

Best regards
Hermann
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
SDLX 2007 Mar 19, 2010

The option is called "simulate propagation"

With this option enabled, on the same file, you're paid less working in SDLX than with Trados if you apply discounts.
That's why I prefer Trados. At least you may have the chance to leverage something to your own benefit. After all, you paid for the tool...

Philippe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools file analysis - only against TM?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »