Thread poster: Romina Minucci
Romina Minucci
Romina Minucci
Italy
Local time: 18:52
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 6, 2002

i have to translate a document that the client sent me as a gif.file. how can I open it with word? or better: can I open it with word??!

thanks

romina

French Locale
French Locale
English to French
+ ...
gif files Apr 6, 2002

Gif files are images and they are not editable in Word. I had a try and could not open any gif in Word (even with the import function).

If you need to edit the file, you\'ll need a graphics software to do so, like Paint Shop Pro for instance (good software and you should be able to get a shareware version pretty easily on the Web).

If you just need to translate it, without changing the graphic itself, then just view it in your normal Web browser.

I hope this helps.
... See more
Gif files are images and they are not editable in Word. I had a try and could not open any gif in Word (even with the import function).

If you need to edit the file, you\'ll need a graphics software to do so, like Paint Shop Pro for instance (good software and you should be able to get a shareware version pretty easily on the Web).

If you just need to translate it, without changing the graphic itself, then just view it in your normal Web browser.

I hope this helps.

Véronique
Collapse

Rod Darby (X)
Rod Darby (X)  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 16:52
German to English
+ ...
well, i can't Apr 6, 2002

Romina,

I just tried, it doesn\'t work (you get garbage).

If you find the file with Explorer and double-click it, Internet Explorer will open the file and display it, so you can then print it. You may find you have other software which will open .GIF files on your computer, usually the software supplied with scanners can do this. If not, you\'ll have to print it and just do the translation with your usual text editor.

I hate it when I can\'t translate directly into
... See more
Romina,

I just tried, it doesn\'t work (you get garbage).

If you find the file with Explorer and double-click it, Internet Explorer will open the file and display it, so you can then print it. You may find you have other software which will open .GIF files on your computer, usually the software supplied with scanners can do this. If not, you\'ll have to print it and just do the translation with your usual text editor.

I hate it when I can\'t translate directly into the source text, but life does have its hurdles.

All the best,

Rod

[addsig]
Collapse

Romina Minucci
Romina Minucci
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
print a gif file Apr 6, 2002

I opened it with front page and translated it, but I can\'t print it because is too big even if I modify with front page the real document size. I think it prints the original size of the document and not the modified one.

help!!

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
You CAN open a GIF file using Word! Apr 6, 2002

You don\'t need to install any additional software to simply view the file (or print it out).

Open a new (empty) document in Word. Go to Insert - Image - From file - choose the appropriate folder and file, click OK. You are done! Save the DOC file with the inserted image.

Of course, graphic software is necessary if you want to convert GIF in another format or if you need to edit it somehow.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You need OCR software Apr 6, 2002

Both Véronique and Natalie are right: you can open a GIF file in MS Word (more precisely, you can import or incorporate it), but you cannot edit the text.

To convert graphical information (after all, GIF is a graphics format) into text, you need OCR (optical character recognition) software, such as OmniPage or ABBYY FineReader.

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
OCR is the answer Apr 7, 2002

Quote:

To convert graphical information (after all, GIF is a graphics format) into text, you need OCR (optical character recognition) software, such as

OmniPage 11: http://www.scansoft.com/products/omnipage/pro

or
<... See more
Quote:

To convert graphical information (after all, GIF is a graphics format) into text, you need OCR (optical character recognition) software, such as

OmniPage 11: http://www.scansoft.com/products/omnipage/pro

or

ABBYY FineReader: http://www.abbyy.com/products/fine

or

ReadIris Pro 7: http://www.irislink.com

I use ReadIris Pro 7 which I think is good.

I have Omnipage 9 but preferred ReadIris Pro 5

Collapse

Elena Simonelli
Elena Simonelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
OCR into word Dec 3, 2008

Dear Collegues,
I need your help with an OCR program.
I am using ABBYY Fine Reader (demo version) to convert some images into Word editable text, but all I can do is turn the images into Word files where the images are pasted... so I still cannot edit them nor use CAT tools.
Where do I go wrong?
Thank you for your help!!
Elena

PS I do not mind downloading a different (free) OCR software if you think it will work better, as long as it can recognise Spani
... See more
Dear Collegues,
I need your help with an OCR program.
I am using ABBYY Fine Reader (demo version) to convert some images into Word editable text, but all I can do is turn the images into Word files where the images are pasted... so I still cannot edit them nor use CAT tools.
Where do I go wrong?
Thank you for your help!!
Elena

PS I do not mind downloading a different (free) OCR software if you think it will work better, as long as it can recognise Spanish text

[Modificato alle 2008-12-03 08:31 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

can I open a GIF.file with word?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »