Thread poster: Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 03:40
English to Chinese
Jun 28, 2012

Dear Studio users who also use TO3000,

Can you tell me where you store your Studio projects? I have started to use TO3000 recently to manage my work and accounting needs, and now I am not sure what would be the best place to save my Studio projects. Studio projects by default are stored under the Studio 2011 folder>Projects. Do you, as a TO3000 user, use this default path, or do you change the default path to the TO3000 job folders? It seems I am managing the same job in two dif
... See more
Dear Studio users who also use TO3000,

Can you tell me where you store your Studio projects? I have started to use TO3000 recently to manage my work and accounting needs, and now I am not sure what would be the best place to save my Studio projects. Studio projects by default are stored under the Studio 2011 folder>Projects. Do you, as a TO3000 user, use this default path, or do you change the default path to the TO3000 job folders? It seems I am managing the same job in two different places, so I would like to streamline this process if possible.

Thank you for your enlightenment!

Chun-yi
Collapse

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Local time: 12:40
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Oh, I should absolutely do that, as well... Jun 29, 2012

In my opinion, one could choose one as well as the other - though I think it might be easier to change the default storage location in Studio, so saving the projects in the TO3000 job folders might be more easy to accomplish.

But I have not been working with TO3000 long enough - I guess you could change file paths there as well.

I am also very interested how fellow translators solve this - although possibly naive, I am still convinced that proper organisation CAN save u
... See more
In my opinion, one could choose one as well as the other - though I think it might be easier to change the default storage location in Studio, so saving the projects in the TO3000 job folders might be more easy to accomplish.

But I have not been working with TO3000 long enough - I guess you could change file paths there as well.

I am also very interested how fellow translators solve this - although possibly naive, I am still convinced that proper organisation CAN save us lots of time when working with a computer!
Collapse

Alina - Maria Chiteala
Alina - Maria Chiteala  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 13:40
Member (2011)
English to Romanian
+ ...
To3000 Jun 29, 2012

I have change the database from C: to D:. This way, if my computer fails or if I format C:, I do not loose any of my files. Even after a format and re-install you can choose the database from other drive and all your clients, jobs, other information appear in TO3000.
Also the database can be backed up for safety.
For translation jobs with CAT tools I never rely on CAT default folder. I make a job entry in TO3000, put all the files there and them open them with CAT.

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both for your input Jun 29, 2012

Yes, after giving some thought, I am going to save my Studio projects in TO 3000. This seems to be more logical, but on the other hand it probably means I would need to manually assign the Studio project location for every project. We will see how it goes:)
Thank you, Alina and Anna, for sharing with me your user experience. It has helped me to see things better!

Chun-yi

Alina - Maria Chiteala wrote:

I have change the database from C: to D:. This way, if my computer fails or if I format C:, I do not loose any of my files. Even after a format and re-install you can choose the database from other drive and all your clients, jobs, other information appear in TO3000.
Also the database can be backed up for safety.
For translation jobs with CAT tools I never rely on CAT default folder. I make a job entry in TO3000, put all the files there and them open them with CAT.

Aleksandr Dyatlov (AIT)
Aleksandr Dyatlov (AIT)
Workflow with TO3000 and SDL Trados Studio Jul 16, 2012

Dear Chun-yi Chen,

I would like to suggest you to read the following article about organizing of your workflow with TO3000 and SDL Trados Studio: See more
Dear Chun-yi Chen,

I would like to suggest you to read the following article about organizing of your workflow with TO3000 and SDL Trados Studio: http://aithelp.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/494/0/how-to-store-project-files-of-sdl-trados-studio-in-a-folder-structure-of-translation-office-3000-version-10

Best regards,
Aleksandr.
--
Aleksandr Dyatlov
AIT Software Development Team
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 16, 2012

Hi Aleksandr,

Thank you for the great resource. This would definitely help me better organize my work. I will going to go over it shortly.

Chun-yi

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Jobs folders Vs Projects folders Jul 16, 2012

Hi Aleksandr,

I read the article in the link you provided and saw that Studio projects can be saved in TO3000's projects folders. I have been using the Jobs approach (under Business>Clients) to save my files. Should I start saving my files/projects under Projects instead? How would this affect the whole project management process in TO3000? Sorry for the broad question. I am trying to make my workflow as efficiently as possible, so any suggestions you have are greatly appreciat
... See more
Hi Aleksandr,

I read the article in the link you provided and saw that Studio projects can be saved in TO3000's projects folders. I have been using the Jobs approach (under Business>Clients) to save my files. Should I start saving my files/projects under Projects instead? How would this affect the whole project management process in TO3000? Sorry for the broad question. I am trying to make my workflow as efficiently as possible, so any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated.

Chun-yi
Collapse

Aleksandr Dyatlov (AIT)
Aleksandr Dyatlov (AIT)
Job folder and Trados projects Jul 17, 2012

Dear Chun-yi,

I have been using the Jobs approach (under Business>Clients) to save my files.
Should I start saving my files/projects under Projects instead?

No, it is not necessary. If your Trados project is connected to a job in TO3000, you may connect the job folder to this Trados project (see screenshot). For this we suggest you to perform the actions described in the article from my previous post. You just need to select the job folder, not the project folder.

How would this affect the whole project management process in TO3000?

If you change Workflow Mode in TO3000, your folder structure will be changed too. Please refer to http://goo.gl/OHWOu to see differences of these folder structures. Also I suggest you to watch our presentation regarding Workflow Modes in TO3000 at http://goo.gl/BAsXH

Best regards,
Aleksandr.
--
Aleksandr Dyatlov

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again for all the information Jul 17, 2012

Hi Aleksandr,

Thank you again for the additional information. It looks like I need to spend some more time to get myself more familiar with TO3000, but I am sure this would be worth it in the long run. The more I get to know TO3000, the more I like it. I was entering client's payment information in TO3000 yesterday and realized how much time your software has saved me compared to my old system. Thank you for making such a good product that makes the translation/accounting manage
... See more
Hi Aleksandr,

Thank you again for the additional information. It looks like I need to spend some more time to get myself more familiar with TO3000, but I am sure this would be worth it in the long run. The more I get to know TO3000, the more I like it. I was entering client's payment information in TO3000 yesterday and realized how much time your software has saved me compared to my old system. Thank you for making such a good product that makes the translation/accounting management tasks easier. TO3000 is by no means a plug in and play kind of software, but it's definitely worth the time spent figuring out this program's logic and how it works!

Chun-yi
Collapse

Aleksandr Dyatlov (AIT)
Aleksandr Dyatlov (AIT)
Thank you for your great feedback Jul 19, 2012

Dear Chun-yi,

Thank you for your great feedback.

We are pleased that the issue has been successfully solved.

Best regards,
Aleksandr.
--
Aleksandr Dyatlov

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where do TO3000 users store their Studio projects

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »