SDLX: Is there a way to split Format Painting up?
Автор темы: Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Германия
Local time: 15:21
Член ProZ.com c 2003
английский => немецкий
+ ...
Jul 26, 2004

Dear colleagues,

This may be a stupid (and - I am afraid - complicated) question to ask, but I can't seem to figure out how to split up the format painting in SDLX. Let me show you my sentence as an example (the numbers stand for the different colours of the format painting):

1Click1 2Load2 3to change the entire palette in the3 4Color Table4 5dialog box5.

My German sentence is this:
Klicken Sie Laden, um die gesamte Palette im Dialogfeld Farbtabelle z
... See more
Dear colleagues,

This may be a stupid (and - I am afraid - complicated) question to ask, but I can't seem to figure out how to split up the format painting in SDLX. Let me show you my sentence as an example (the numbers stand for the different colours of the format painting):

1Click1 2Load2 3to change the entire palette in the3 4Color Table4 5dialog box5.

My German sentence is this:
Klicken Sie Laden, um die gesamte Palette im Dialogfeld Farbtabelle zu ändern.

I manage to get to this point:
1Klicken Sie1 2Laden,2 3um die gesamte Palette im3 5Dialogfeld5 4Farbtabelle zu ändern.4

Is there any way of applying colour 3 to 'die gesamte Palette im' as well as the last two words 'zu ändern'? Then everything would be perfect. If not, SDLX only leaves me two options:
1. it either forces me to make this sentence sound horrible in German or
2. I will have to do the format changes by hand after finishing the translation in SDLX.

Is there anybody out there who can help me with this?

Thanks a million,
Stefanie

PS: I forgot to mention that the next sentence 'This will replace the existing color palette with a previously saved one.' is completely in colour 5 and the format paint mode automatically marks the words 'dialog box' AND the whole next segment, which makes it even more complicated. Any way to tell the format paint mode to stay in one segment at a time?

[Edited at 2004-07-26 18:30]
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Италия
Член ProZ.com c 2001
английский => итальянский
+ ...
suggestion with no splitting Jul 26, 2004

1Klicken Sie1 2Laden23, um die gesamte Palette im Dialogfeld3 4Farbtabelle4 5zu ändern5.

I'd guess that your formatting for colors 1, 3 and 5 probably have the same attributes, and color 2 and 4 will bo bold or italic or a specific color. What hints about formatting do you get when going over the colours with the mouse? Or do you have a layout ersion you can check it in?
If th
... See more

1Klicken Sie1 2Laden23, um die gesamte Palette im Dialogfeld3 4Farbtabelle4 5zu ändern5.

I'd guess that your formatting for colors 1, 3 and 5 probably have the same attributes, and color 2 and 4 will bo bold or italic or a specific color. What hints about formatting do you get when going over the colours with the mouse? Or do you have a layout ersion you can check it in?
If this assumption is correct, then this combination would work.
[I've started colout 3 before the comma, to avoid having it in bold or whatever format Laden will get]

HtH,
Roberta
Collapse

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Германия
английский => немецкий
Yes, there is... Jul 26, 2004

If you have SDLX 2004 (and only then) you can apply a single source format to several non-adjacent target terms.

With the Format Paint mode active and the source format selected, hold down the ALT key and drag the format to as many places you like.

HTH
Stefan

Stefanie Sendelbach
Германия
Член ProZ.com c 2003
английский => немецкий
+ ...
Автор темы
All the same... Jul 26, 2004

Hi Roberta,

Thank you so much for your reply. You understood my question!! (I really wasn't sure it would be understandable)

But now, look: When I move my mouse cursor over the different colours, they actually all say THE SAME!! It is always: FONT CHANGE: Family="'Verdana'" Size="8.5pt" FtIdx="7".

How can this be?

And one more thing: Does your answer imply that there is no way o
... See more
Hi Roberta,

Thank you so much for your reply. You understood my question!! (I really wasn't sure it would be understandable)

But now, look: When I move my mouse cursor over the different colours, they actually all say THE SAME!! It is always: FONT CHANGE: Family="'Verdana'" Size="8.5pt" FtIdx="7".

How can this be?

And one more thing: Does your answer imply that there is no way of splitting the colours up?

Thanks again,
Stefanie

[Edited at 2004-07-26 18:55]
Collapse

Stefanie Sendelbach
Германия
Член ProZ.com c 2003
английский => немецкий
+ ...
Автор темы
SDLX 2003 here Jul 26, 2004

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried that and now I have 6 colours!!

Then I checked my version and it actually is SDLX 2003. Well, my problem is not solved yet but I am glad they changed this function for the newer versions.

Cheers,
Stefanie

Stefan Keller
Германия
английский => немецкий
Never mind the colours Jul 26, 2004

Hi Stefanie,

Different coulours don't necessarily mean different formats but can also mean several occurrences of the very same format. That's highly dependent on how the source is coded. If you have two terms next to each other in the same segment, both are, say, bold, and the source is authored a way that the bold format was applied to each term individually, you will end up with two different format colours in SDLX. This is sometimes a bit confusing, but you get used to it... See more
Hi Stefanie,

Different coulours don't necessarily mean different formats but can also mean several occurrences of the very same format. That's highly dependent on how the source is coded. If you have two terms next to each other in the same segment, both are, say, bold, and the source is authored a way that the bold format was applied to each term individually, you will end up with two different format colours in SDLX. This is sometimes a bit confusing, but you get used to it
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Италия
Член ProZ.com c 2001
английский => итальянский
+ ...
Thanks Stefan! Jul 26, 2004

Stefan Keller wrote:

If you have SDLX 2004
th the Format Paint mode active and the source format selected, hold down the ALT key and drag the format to as many places you like.[/quote]

Thanks Stefan!
I haven't discovered all the new stuff yet

Stefanie: the formatting tags really depend on how the source file was done and how formatting was applied in the original application (sometime it may even be "invisible" formatting, like tracking used for copyfitting reasons which would no longer apply for the translated text). It's likely that the only different formatting has been applied to Load and Color Table, so my earlier suggestion should work ok here.

ciao,
Roberta

Stefanie Sendelbach
Германия
Член ProZ.com c 2003
английский => немецкий
+ ...
Автор темы
Thanks to both of you Jul 26, 2004

Hi Roberta and Stefan,

I think I'll just stick to Stefan's suggestion from now on:
Never mind the colours

That's the least confusing solution.

I think I'll also apply your suggestion, Roberta, and use the formating on the two parts that should logically have a different font/style.

Thanks again, you two.

Have a nice day.
Stefanie

Stefan Keller
Германия
английский => немецкий
But hey... Jul 26, 2004

sundari wrote:

Hi Roberta and Stefan,

I think I'll just stick to Stefan's suggestion from now on:
Never mind the colours

That's the least confusing solution.

Sometimes colours (like sizes) DO matter
They're not always the same...

Stefanie Sendelbach
Германия
Член ProZ.com c 2003
английский => немецкий
+ ...
Автор темы
Thanks again Jul 27, 2004

Sometimes colours (like sizes) DO matter
They're not always the same...

Thanks, Stefan. It's a bit tough to get used to the Format Paint function at first, I think.

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Польша
английский => польский
+ ...
SDLX 2003 Service Pack 2 can do it Sep 13, 2004

If you have SDLX 2003 Service Pack 2 you _can_ clone and even delete formats. It comes very handy and solves many pains with format painting.

HTH

Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX: Is there a way to split Format Painting up?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »