Thread poster: Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 19:33
Chinese to English
+ ...
Dec 26, 2014

Are there any programs or plugins that provide the equivalent of a readily-accessible glossary or translation memory in a monolingual document? While these are basic functions for just about any CAT tool, all such programs that I've used require a source document, which isn't available, and it would be nice to have a better way than making a manual glossary in Excel or my brain.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:03
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Multiterm? Dec 27, 2014

Not sure what your requirement is. Are you looking for a dictionary type of programme?

If I understand your post correctly, maybe Multiterm can serve your purpose. You can load the source monolingual document as a normal translation document in Trados, and select terms in it that you want to include in your multiterm glossary. After doing this, you can discard the monolingual document. The terms you need would have come into your Multiterm glossary, which can then be applied to othe
... See more
Not sure what your requirement is. Are you looking for a dictionary type of programme?

If I understand your post correctly, maybe Multiterm can serve your purpose. You can load the source monolingual document as a normal translation document in Trados, and select terms in it that you want to include in your multiterm glossary. After doing this, you can discard the monolingual document. The terms you need would have come into your Multiterm glossary, which can then be applied to other documents you want to translate. If those documents contain any of the words in your Multiterm glossary, these would get highlighted in the Term recognition window in Trados.

You can also add terms directly to a Multiterm glossary without the need of a source document. This can be manually done. A more time-saving method is to first type them into an excel file and export this into multiterm using Multiterm Convert.

[Edited at 2014-12-27 02:26 GMT]
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 18:33
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Heartsome? Dec 27, 2014

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly, but one of the easiest ways to create a TMX file is probably Heartsome's TMXEditor, and it's stand-alone. You may have to cheat with the language codes, though: select variations of the same language (English, Chinese, French, etc.)

TMXEditor is cross-platform, and free: https://github.com/heartsome/tmxeditor8

Cheers,

Hans

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No source document Dec 27, 2014

It's a physical book that I'm working with.

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To clarify Dec 29, 2014

What I'm looking for is a way to work in a CAT-like environment (with easy access to a term base/TM), without having a source document. The work that I'm actually doing here is Chinese to English, but the only digital document that exists is the target file in Chinese.

I'm trying out Heartsome and it does make term management a little easier (basically I'm doing manual operation inside the program). Still hoping to have a more elegant solution though.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Very clear... Dec 29, 2014

Lincoln Hui wrote:
What I'm looking for is a way to work in a CAT-like environment (with easy access to a term base/TM)

...that was not. You can use the edit function of CafeTran for it. You can edit (in your case add) entries while making use of TMs, termbases, tab delimited glossaries, and built-in internet resources. You'll have to cheat, though: You'll have to create a TMX file first that consists of a "source language" (term) and a "target language" (your definition/description). You can easily do that in, say, Excel, "fill" the cells down, and import the Excel file as a TMX. It'll then behave like any other translation job.

Cheers,

Hans

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
One thought Dec 29, 2014

Lincoln Hui wrote:
Are there any programs or plugins that provide the equivalent of a readily-accessible glossary or translation memory in a monolingual document?

Make a blank document that looks like this:

x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x

...and then penalise the read-write TM by 90% so that you don't ever get matches from it. Then translate the document by typing the translation into the target field. You can then still use the read-only TMs and the read-write TM by way of concordance searches or reference searches.

I'm not sure how you would use the glossary, though. If you use a CAT tool that allows you to edit the source field, then I guess you could type the source text of certain words in the source field, before you start typing the translation, to make use of the glossary feature, but I think that that would actually take longer than simply using the glossary by way of a normal search.

The alternatives are: scan and OCR, or hire a typist.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:33
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
unclear what you mean and want Dec 29, 2014

Lincoln Hui wrote:

What I'm looking for is a way to work in a CAT-like environment (with easy access to a term base/TM), without having a source document. The work that I'm actually doing here is Chinese to English, but the only digital document that exists is the target file in Chinese.

I'm trying out Heartsome and it does make term management a little easier (basically I'm doing manual operation inside the program). Still hoping to have a more elegant solution though.

Hi Lincoln,

I still don't understand what you are actually doing, and what you want to achieve.

Are you translating:

Chinese > English?
or
English > Chinese?

Is your source document a book?

You said:

Are there any programs or plugins that provide the equivalent of a readily-accessible glossary or translation memory in a monolingual document?

… but what does this mean? A glossary and a translation memory are two different things, and I don't see what you mean by "in a monolingual document".

Why not just use a CAT tool and import a dummy source document? That way, you will still have access to all the tricks and tools of a CAT tool.

Michael

[Edited at 2014-12-29 16:23 GMT]

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A book Dec 29, 2014

The source document is a book. OCR isn't an option for me. The reason that the opening post wasn't clear is because I might not be entirely sure what I need myself, since I don't actually fiddle much with CAT tools other than the basic functions.

The glossary is the more important. Having Heartsome open in another window is certainly an option, but less convenient than being able to search from within the same program in a normal workflow.

The TM thing has to do with po
... See more
The source document is a book. OCR isn't an option for me. The reason that the opening post wasn't clear is because I might not be entirely sure what I need myself, since I don't actually fiddle much with CAT tools other than the basic functions.

The glossary is the more important. Having Heartsome open in another window is certainly an option, but less convenient than being able to search from within the same program in a normal workflow.

The TM thing has to do with potentially somewhat repetitive content where I'm hoping to save some typing - I guess I'm looking at a combination of segmentation and TM functions.

I might try Samuel's idea and see how that works.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:33
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
ah, OK Dec 29, 2014

In that case, you might also want to look at standalone terminology tools, such as TermX Pro, Glossary Maker, AnyLexic, LookUp, InterpretBank, Interplex, etc.:

http://translex.co.uk/software.html
http://translex.co.uk/software2.html
... See more
In that case, you might also want to look at standalone terminology tools, such as TermX Pro, Glossary Maker, AnyLexic, LookUp, InterpretBank, Interplex, etc.:

http://translex.co.uk/software.html
http://translex.co.uk/software2.html
http://www.anylexic.com/en/
http://www.lookup-web.de/products/lookupword/index.html
http://www.interpretbank.de/
http://www.fourwillows.com/interplex.html

See also: http://interpreting.info/questions/246/what-are-the-best-software-packages-for-glossary-making

Michael

PS: Or just use Excel
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Stone tools etc. Dec 29, 2014

Sure, there's nothing here that can't actually be done in a mundane manner in Word or something, but I'd like to save some effort if I can, since it's not a short book.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lincoln Dec 29, 2014

Lincoln Hui wrote:
* The glossary is the more important.
* The TM thing has to do with potentially somewhat repetitive content where I'm hoping to save some typing.

The whole-segment autocomplete functions that I have seen in CAT tools only work if you start to type the exact text that occurred in a previous segment, or text that is a match in the TM (and for that to work, your TM must contain both source and target text). Automatic TM-lookup isn't going to be possible if you don't have meaningful source text. There are some autocomplete programs out there, but they typically don't memorise more than a few words in a row, and I have found that I can actually type faster than the autocompleter can suggest words, unless the words are long and complex to type.

However, if you use my suggested method (above), then your TM will have the target text in it, so you would be able to do searches on the target text. I suggest you try OmegaT for it. In your case, you would minimise the Fuzzy Matches and the Glossary panes, because automatic look-up won't be possible for you (since you have no source text in electronic format). With OmegaT, you can add new terms to the glossary quite quickly using Shift+Ctrl+G. You can easily search the glossary and the TM using Ctrl+F. With OmegaT you can't alter the source text from within the CAT tool, though.

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not autocomplete Dec 29, 2014

Simply having segmentation and being able to search completed segments by target text is fine.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Example Dec 29, 2014

I put my suggestion above into practice. Nothing better to do anyway. I created a fake TM (*.tmx), en-US to en-GB. I created an “Edit TMX file” project, and opened the fake TM. I then imported resources:

• you can add and search as many web resources as you like, I only added the Wikipedia
• you can add and search as many TMs (*.tmx) for segments as you like, I added a general EN-NL TM
• you can add and search as many termbases (*.tmx) a
... See more
I put my suggestion above into practice. Nothing better to do anyway. I created a fake TM (*.tmx), en-US to en-GB. I created an “Edit TMX file” project, and opened the fake TM. I then imported resources:

• you can add and search as many web resources as you like, I only added the Wikipedia
• you can add and search as many TMs (*.tmx) for segments as you like, I added a general EN-NL TM
• you can add and search as many termbases (*.tmx) as you like, I didn’t add any
• you can add and search as many glossaries (*.txt) as you like, I didn’t add any
• you can add and search as many indexed SQL databases as you like, I added the EN-NL DGT

And you can search both your term (“source language”) and your definition (“target language”)

Auto-Completion of words/phrases seems to work, at least for words you added yourself, the spellchecker on-the-fly doesn’t seem to work (but that may be due to my settings - ask Igor, the CafeTran developer)

I hope and think this is what you are looking for.

Cheers,

Hans
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
One more thing Dec 30, 2014

Yet another resource you can consult from within the user interface is the Desktop Search Tool. I forgot about it, because I don't use it from within CafeTran. Search everything on your computer, or specified folders/directories only, using for example TMLookup (Windows) or Spotlight/DocFetcher (Mac) (and I have no doubt there's a Linux solution as well). Could be very useful for Lincoln.

Screenshot stolen from the CafeTran Wiki

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2014-12-30 02:23 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossary/TM in monolingual documents

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »