Which CAT tools use AI for automatic tag placement?
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Oct 25, 2023

My question is: Which CAT tools use AI for automatic tag placement?

How good are they at this task?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:12
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
You mean external AI? Oct 25, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

When you say "AI", do you mean an external engine that wasn't developed by the CAT tool vendor?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Not necessarily Oct 25, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:

When you say "AI", do you mean an external engine that wasn't developed by the CAT tool vendor?

No, internal AI algorithms will do too ...

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:12
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Bureau Works? Oct 25, 2023

https://www.bureauworks.com/

I got this email recently, from the guy behind Bureau works' BWX (online CAT tool/platform) or whatever you'd call it:

✨ Presenting BWX's Newest Update: Say Goodbye to Tag-Fixing Nightmares! ✨

Hey Michael,

I'm thrilled to bring you some refreshing news today that will revolutionize your experience with the BWX Platform!
... See more
https://www.bureauworks.com/

I got this email recently, from the guy behind Bureau works' BWX (online CAT tool/platform) or whatever you'd call it:

✨ Presenting BWX's Newest Update: Say Goodbye to Tag-Fixing Nightmares! ✨

Hey Michael,

I'm thrilled to bring you some refreshing news today that will revolutionize your experience with the BWX Platform!

Ever spent countless hours lost in the whirlwind of tag-fixing? Remember the frustration of endlessly adjusting and verifying tags, being pulled away from the essence of translation?

🎉 Well, those days are officially over.

Introducing BWX Gen AI-Powered Tag Fixing! Our latest feature will transform 'Insert Tags' into an obsolete chore for translators. Watch this video to see how this magic unfolds.

For many, like myself, this isn't just an upgrade - it's a complete game-changer. The beauty lies in its simplicity. Imagine delving deep into the art of translation, connecting with the audience, and appreciating the aesthetics of language without the persistent distraction of tags. With a simple click, you're good to go!

We genuinely believe that our BWX Gen AI tag-fixing will be a pivotal tool in your translation journey. Please try it out for yourself and share your thoughts. Your feedback will be invaluable to our continual growth and refinement.

P.S. As always, our primary goal is to empower you. With this new feature, we hope to let you say a hearty goodbye to tag-related headaches. Dive deep into what truly matters: bringing stories, messages, and content translations to life! 👏😍

Warm regards,

Bureau Works

Hugo Vieira

Head of Growth
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
WordScope? Oct 25, 2023

Or this: https://pro.wordscope.com/ ?

Which seems to be a rebranded version of MateCat, with loads of added AI stuff.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Mine does that anyway Oct 25, 2023

so there's nothing AI could add.

Erwin van Wouw
Erwin van Wouw  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
Six seconds Oct 25, 2023

It takes this tool six (6) seconds to rearrange three tags. I don't want to sound as a luddite, but I'd rather do this manually than wait for the 'magic' to happen, or prepare the file upfront to get rid of (most of) the tags.

https://support.bureauworks.com/hc/article_attachments/19852436577549

Michael Beijer wrote:

Introducing BWX Gen AI-Powered Tag Fixing! Our latest feature will transform 'Insert Tags' into an obsolete chore for translators. Watch this video to see how this magic unfolds.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Chat GPT Oct 25, 2023

Somewhat off-topic, but: I suppose one could try various ways of asking Chat GPT how to place the tags. Fortunately, Chat GPT already knows what "tags" are:

Capture-2

(In this case, the bot guessed correctly, by the way... but it doesn't understand "just the sentence".)

[Edited at 2023-10-25 16:18 GMT]

Hans Lenting

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
Bing Oct 26, 2023

[quote]Samuel Murray wrote: Chat GPT

/quote]

Yes, this works. I have tested this just this earlier week with Bing Chat (now "Copilot"). The process is:
1_Get a bilingual MS Word review out of you CAT
2_Copy the cells with the source text
3_Tell the LLM to translate the text you will paste by leaving the tags untouched and returning the translation in a table format the same as the source
4_paste you text
5_ Get your table, copy the contents, paste them in the bilingual export
6_reimport in your CAT

It got the tags spot on. The tags loose the red color in the process but the CATs I tested on didn't need the color for tags to be reimported (Wordfast Anywhere and Wordfast Pro).

As a precaution, remember to never upload NDA text or sensitive information into AI tools.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
CafeTran Espresso Nov 12, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

To answer my own question: as of Friday, CafeTran Espresso 12.0.5. can use ChatGPT to place tags.

Of course, this isn't for free and the result has to be evaluated in the next weeks.

Philippe Locquet
Dan Lucas

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
Not surprised Nov 12, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:

To answer my own question: as of Friday, CafeTran Espresso 12.0.5. can use ChatGPT to place tags.

Of course, this isn't for free and the result has to be evaluated in the next weeks.

Yes, that's a good use of Generative AI. Now, the question will be if that's a cost-effective method since that should use tokens. That's without taking data safety in consideration off course.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT tools use AI for automatic tag placement?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »