Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Open office compatible Trados/ Wordfast?
Thread poster: Romy Retzlaff
Romy Retzlaff
Romy Retzlaff  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:04
French to German
+ ...
Nov 13, 2006

Hello,
can anybody tell me if open office is compatible with Trados or Wordfast?

Thank you,

Romy

Joerg Sannwald
Joerg Sannwald
Member (2006)
English to German
OpenOffice, Wordfast and Trados. Nov 13, 2006

Hi,

Trados and Wordfast are not compatible with OpenOffice, to my knowledge.

If you like to work with OpenOffice (I certainly do) you can use OmegaT.

It's easy to install, intuitive to use and it's absolutely free. Within half an hour you'll be up and running.<
... See more
Hi,

Trados and Wordfast are not compatible with OpenOffice, to my knowledge.

If you like to work with OpenOffice (I certainly do) you can use OmegaT.

It's easy to install, intuitive to use and it's absolutely free. Within half an hour you'll be up and running.

You can find OmegaT here: http://www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat_en/omegat.html.

Best regards,

Jörg Sannwald

.. textprojekt | Joerg Sannwald
.. Business and Technical Translations (English - German)
.. mailto:[email protected] | mailto:[email protected]
.. Mobile: +66 (0)8-7232-1833 | Office: +66 (0)-7563-7231
.. Skype: josawa | Google Talk: josawa2004
.. 132/18 Moo 2 | Ao Nang, A. Muang | Krabi 81000 | Thailand
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Open office compatible Trados/ Wordfast? Nov 13, 2006

If you mean can Trados/Wordfast be used from within OOo, with OOo serving as the user interface (as is the case with Trados and Wordfast), no.

If you mean can Trados/Wordfast be used to translate OOo files, possibly. OOo files are zip archives containing XML files.

Marc

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:04
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Trados - maybe, WordFast - no Nov 13, 2006

WordFast is just a bunch of macros for Microsoft Word, thus, obviously, it can't be used outside Word (and Word can't read OOo files).
Trados 2006 is said to be able to work with OpenDocument (aka OpenOffice.org 2.x) files via TagEditor, but I can't confirm.
Beside OmegaT (which is definitely a marvelous program), DejaVu X also can work with OOo files, but only with OOo 1.x.

[Редактировалось 2006-11-13 14:26]

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:04
German to English
+ ...
Workbench 7.5 Nov 13, 2006

Have a look at this forum thread:

http://www.proz.com/post/348423#348423

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Tag Editor 7.x can handle Open Office files Nov 13, 2006

Hi Romy,

Trados Tag Editor 7 can handle Open Office files, although some users have reported problems:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/message/37311

With earlier versions of Trados, or indeed with 7.x if you are running into trouble, you can use this procedure from the Trados Know
... See more
Hi Romy,

Trados Tag Editor 7 can handle Open Office files, although some users have reported problems:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/message/37311

With earlier versions of Trados, or indeed with 7.x if you are running into trouble, you can use this procedure from the Trados Knowledge Base:

http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=1052

HTH

Giles
Collapse

Romy Retzlaff
Romy Retzlaff  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 13, 2006

thank you all for these quick and concrete answers! I will try Omega T.

Romy

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
if you try OmegaT... Nov 13, 2006

... let us know, what you have found out.

My experience is, that it is lacking. Same applies to other Open Source tools - so far. However, it is slowly getting into the heads of the Open Source community that translation tools are inadequate. What I personally miss most, is the whole idea of the Translation Memory.

Hopefully things will start to move now with XLIFF format gaining (or having gained) acceptance.

By the way, if anybody is looking for OpenOff
... See more
... let us know, what you have found out.

My experience is, that it is lacking. Same applies to other Open Source tools - so far. However, it is slowly getting into the heads of the Open Source community that translation tools are inadequate. What I personally miss most, is the whole idea of the Translation Memory.

Hopefully things will start to move now with XLIFF format gaining (or having gained) acceptance.

By the way, if anybody is looking for OpenOffice based CAT just because one would like to spare himself the cost of Office is shortsighted to say the least. Does the price of the Microsoft Office really make that much difference?

Regards

smo

PS: Now that we have already broached the subject ... The best candidate for an OpenOffice tool would of course be WordFast, given the fact it's a single.person product, making the decision and transition easier. Given the certainty the WriterFast (let's call a spade a spade;) would absolutely reign supreme in the OpenOffice world, we may ask ourselves why Yves Champollion has not already done it... Makes one think.

[Edited at 2006-11-13 20:05]
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
It's not a matter of price Nov 13, 2006

Vitomir (Vito) Smolej wrote:

By the way, if anybody is looking for OpenOffice based CAT just because one would like to spare himself the cost of Office is shortsighted to say the least. Does the price of the Microsoft Office really make that much difference?

Regards

smo

but of principles...

I do own Microsoft Office with a regular license and have used it since many years, but I would really prefer to be able to use a CAT tool NOT based on Microsoft applications, and one of the reasons I couldn't was e.g. that Wordfast (the CAT tool I am working with) is not compatible to Open Office which I think would be much more complete and easier - and anyway, I would like more, for many reasons. Therefore I find this thread very interesting. Are there any other CAT tools compatible with Open Office?

Marc P (X)
German to English
+ ...
Open office compatible Trados/ Wordfast? Nov 14, 2006

Given the certainty the WriterFast (let's call a spade a spade;) would absolutely reign supreme in the OpenOffice world, we may ask ourselves why Yves Champollion has not already done it... Makes one think.

Because OOo uses a different macro language to Word, and one which is (apparently) inferior and much slower.

There was a TM application which used OOo as the UI, OOXlate, but development has been postponed (or abandoned).

www.linuxfortranslators.org/linux/tm/ooxlate.html

Marc

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Heartsome XLIFF Editor Nov 14, 2006

Are there any other CAT tools compatible with Open Office?

Sure. Heartsome XLIFF Editor is. It opens OpenOffice (1.x and 2.0) files directly.

Regards,

Piotr

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:04
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No, not WF Nov 14, 2006

MarcPrior wrote:
Because OOo uses a different macro language to Word, and one which is (apparently) inferior and much slower.

Marc, from many professional programmers I've heard that VBA is so badly designed that nothing could be inferior to it

Anyway, to work with/in OOo, WordFast needs to be completely rewritten, not necessarily in OOo Basic, it could be Java or Python, both of which more or less seamlessly integrate with OOo. The problem is that WordFast (as well as Trados Workbench) use so called normal view of MS Word which is not known to OOo. I'm not 100% sure, but guess it's a critical obstacle for “implanting” WF into OOo. So, no chance.

They say, sometime OOo may have ability of executing VBA code. So, just wait. But this is definitely not a top priority of OOo development.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
OmegaT has TM and fuzzy matching Nov 14, 2006

If you try OmegaT, let us know, what you have found out. ... What I personally miss most, is the whole idea of the Translation Memory.

I don't quite understand, Vito. OmegaT offers translation memory with fuzzy matching.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Stand probably corrected... Nov 14, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote: OmegaT offers translation memory with fuzzy matching.

I need to go back to my installation and check which version it is...

Re Word, VBA, Ooo etc: The (UNO) object model in Oo is lightyears away from Word Office. If Wordfast had to rewrite the last few floors of the TRADOS building so to say, in case of OpenOffice one would need to start in the cellar in terms of buulding up the primitives necessary for the job. They would (of course) be the same as in the Office case, but it would be a different implementation.

Re showing things in OpenOffice: it displays a typical bilingual Doc file with all the {0> signs etc without a hitch . You just cant press Alt+Shift+POS1 to open the segment (g).

smo

[Edited at 2006-11-14 10:57]

Marc P (X)
German to English
+ ...
Open office compatible Trados/ Wordfast? Nov 14, 2006

I need to go back to my installation and check which version it is...

OmegaT has always had fuzzy matching.

Have you tried version 1.6.0, which was released last week?

Re Word, VBA, Ooo etc: The (UNO) object model in Oo is lightyears away from Word Office.

This may be true, but the general trend in TM software is away from integration with the word processor, and towards standalone products with a dedicated interface.

Marc

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Open office compatible Trados/ Wordfast?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »