Best terminology management (termbase) software???
Thread poster: Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 05:07
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Sep 12, 2007

Once again, I'm not sure I'm posting on the right forum, but since I don't have any "issues" with any software at this point, the "CAT support" forum didn't quite seem right for this question.

Anyway, I've seen plenty of forum posts about which is the best CAT tool out there, but I actually wanted to ask if anyone has any recommendations for terminology management software. That would entail, of course, the ability to not only include definitions for terms, but also translations in
... See more
Once again, I'm not sure I'm posting on the right forum, but since I don't have any "issues" with any software at this point, the "CAT support" forum didn't quite seem right for this question.

Anyway, I've seen plenty of forum posts about which is the best CAT tool out there, but I actually wanted to ask if anyone has any recommendations for terminology management software. That would entail, of course, the ability to not only include definitions for terms, but also translations in different languages.

The aspects I would consider important here are (in fact, it'd be really useful if you could give it a grade bet. 1 and 5 so that people can compare easily):

1) Familiarizing oneself with the software (not really a big issue for me, since I'm pretty quick at figuring out new software, but this could be really helpful to other people who may later consult this thread)

2) Ease of use (once the software is pretty well-known...that is, one doesn't have to go through 5 menus/submenus just to add a word)

3) Compatibility with other software (excluding CAT tools; I know MultiTerm ican be used with Trados, but I want to know if the program can be used directly with Word, for instance)

4) Efficiency (is the thing going to use 80% of my CPU's processing power while I'm running it if I have a relatively updated computer?)

5) Cool additions (the ability to compile a termbase from Excel sheets, for instance)

6) Anything else you can think of that's important.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:07
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try SDLX Termbase Sep 12, 2007

I'm not the right person to answer your questions. but a few weeks ago I started to use Termbase and found it easy to use (had to ask twice for help in the user forum). But after that I was able to create a file from Excel via Word to txt-format and import it into Termbase and update it too. It does not slow down performance and helped me to translate consistently.
I haven't used Multiterm or other termbase software yet.

With termbases the most important issue is the quality o
... See more
I'm not the right person to answer your questions. but a few weeks ago I started to use Termbase and found it easy to use (had to ask twice for help in the user forum). But after that I was able to create a file from Excel via Word to txt-format and import it into Termbase and update it too. It does not slow down performance and helped me to translate consistently.
I haven't used Multiterm or other termbase software yet.

With termbases the most important issue is the quality of the initial file. What vendors send along with projects is often of little help. When the termbase only includes words like
and
or
no
yes
etc. and their translations,
I'd rather get rid of the stuff altogether.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:07
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How about a spreadsheet? Sep 12, 2007

Marcelo Silveyra wrote:
That would entail, of course, the ability to not only include definitions for terms, but also translations in different languages.

Explain to us why using a simple spreadsheet would not be suited to your purposes, please? What additional features would you like to have that a spreadsheet doesn't have?

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Hi Marcelo Sep 12, 2007

Marcelo Silveyra wrote:

The aspects I would consider important here are (in fact, it'd be really useful if you could give it a grade bet. 1 and 5 so that people can compare easily):

1) Familiarizing oneself with the software (not really a big issue for me, since I'm pretty quick at figuring out new software, but this could be really helpful to other people who may later consult this thread)

Hi Marcelo,

First of all, you have to ask yourself how you are going to use the terminology software. DVX has its lexicon (a terminology extraction tool) and SDLX, as Heinrich has said, has Termbase but these are designed to be used in the GUIs of those particular programs.

If you intend to work in Word, MultiTerm or LogiTerm integrate directly with the Word interface and both are very powerful tools.

I like MultiTerm in tandem with Term Extract, the Trados terminology extraction tool, but YMMV, as they say.

2) Ease of use (once the software is pretty well-known...that is, one doesn't have to go through 5 menus/submenus just to add a word)

MultiTerm lets you add terms on the fly, adding the context segment and all the other bells and whistles you could possibly want. DVX lets you add terminology equally seamlessly. It's not really an issue.

3) Compatibility with other software (excluding CAT tools; I know MultiTerm ican be used with Trados, but I want to know if the program can be used directly with Word, for instance)

Yes, and so can LogiTerm, which also gives you a dedicated Word toolbar. SDLX and DVX have their own interfaces so you are looking at another workflow for those programs.

4) Efficiency (is the thing going to use 80% of my CPU's processing power while I'm running it if I have a relatively updated computer?)

I've never had problems of that sort with CAT tools or terminology programs although some (DVX for example) are bigger memory hogs than others.

5) Cool additions (the ability to compile a termbase from Excel sheets, for instance)

This is standard for most programs. In fact, I generally maintain my master glossaries as Excel spreadsheets - Samuel's suggestion is very sound - and import them into the various terminology programs as necessary.

Only you know what's important to your working environment. Give us more details and we'll try to offer more suggestions.

Cheers,

Giles

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:07
Swedish to English
+ ...
Wordfinder Sep 12, 2007

Perhaps not exactly what you are after, but let me put in a good word for my favourite dictionary software, Wordfinder. Developed in Sweden, it now offers a range of electronic dictionaries in several languages.
Marcelo Silveyra wrote:
1) Familiarizing oneself with the software

Straightforward. Score: 4 points.
2) Ease of use

Very quick and easy to use, with automatic copy and paste. With your Word document open, and Wordfinder also open, you double-click on a word in your document, move the cursor on Wordfinder and click. All the relevant dictionary entries appear. If the first one is what you want (often the case) press Enter to paste the word into your text. Very quick and easy, faster than most other electronic dictionaries. Score: 5 points.
3) Compatibility with other software

Works excellently with Word (optionally plus Trados). I have had problems using Trados TagEditor and Wordfinder, others have not. Score: 3 (but for Word/Trados combination, score 5).
4) Efficiency

In my experience, very quick, a real productivity boost. Score: 5

You can create your own dictionaries in Wordfinder. There is a proprietary file format, fairly straightforward if you are familiar with text editors. You can add small batches of new words with an Excel-like template. One of my personal dictionaries has about 12,000 entries, accumulated over the years. Score: 3

You can have up eight dictionaries in a group, enter a single source word, and all the entries from the dictionaries appear together at once. Another real productivity boost. Score:4

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 05:07
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Peter and Giles! / Reply to Samuel Sep 13, 2007

Thank you both, Peter and Giles; that was very useful information - exactly the kind that what I was looking for.

Samuel Murray wrote:

Marcelo Silveyra wrote:
That would entail, of course, the ability to not only include definitions for terms, but also translations in different languages.

Explain to us why using a simple spreadsheet would not be suited to your purposes, please? What additional features would you like to have that a spreadsheet doesn't have?

I actually do have my glossaries in simple Excel spreadsheets. I was simply looking for a faster, more convenient way of integrating them with other programs (especially Word), instead of having to switch back and forth. As for the reason why I asked for a 5 point review of suggestions - that way this thread is easier to read and more useful for people who might later be interested in the same subject (it certainly is more convincing than "I've been using Trados/Wordfast/Metatexis/CAT tool of your choice for 3 years and it's great. I love it and it's so much better than xxx too!"

Elena David

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
All right, here's the review of Wordfast Sep 13, 2007

Marcelo Silveyra wrote:

Wordfast is really a CAT tool with a simple terminology function, but WF is so small that you can just install the whole thing even if you only want to use the the terminology function. The Wordfast user manual is in MS Word and in my opinion fairly easy to read.

To add a word, highlight it and press a keyboard shortcut. Or, to add a word, click the TM editor and add the term to the glossary. Or, open the glossary in a text editor and edit it. To do a search, just highlight the word in MS Word and click a button or press a keyboard shortcut. Or, click a button or press a keyboard shortcut and type the word.

Wordfast is an MS Word macro, so consequently it only works in MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint). However, the glossary file format is tab delimited plain text, so you can easily use the same glossary in other programs that import that format.

You'll hardly notice it, except on a 486DX, perhaps.

Alan Halls
Alan Halls  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
How about Termstar? Sep 20, 2007

Hello Marcello

I use Transit together with Termstar. Transit is the CAT tool and Termstar the terminology store. Termstar can be purchased and used completely independently and, I think, has macros for use in Word. The great thing about Termstar is that it is multilingual, easy to use and allows you to add graphics (bmp or jpeg) to illustrate the term. My Termstar has grown to around a quarter of a million terms in 10 years, and that's mainly German & English. If you do try Termstar
... See more
Hello Marcello

I use Transit together with Termstar. Transit is the CAT tool and Termstar the terminology store. Termstar can be purchased and used completely independently and, I think, has macros for use in Word. The great thing about Termstar is that it is multilingual, easy to use and allows you to add graphics (bmp or jpeg) to illustrate the term. My Termstar has grown to around a quarter of a million terms in 10 years, and that's mainly German & English. If you do try Termstar, set it up to use MSDE data format rather than Access. It is an Access database by default, but the MSDE option is far more reliable and quicker when you use it. Also the hotline (I'm in Germany, so I use their direct dial hotline) is excellent.

Alan
Collapse

Tatiana Willemsen-Golyandrina
Netherlands
English to Russian
+ ...
I have the same question! Oct 3, 2007

As a simultaneous interpreter I use my laptop a lot. So, often Excel is not quick enough to find what I need. I need something centralized and divided into themas. Something that comes up quickly and is always open. What is on the market now? Does anyone have a solution?

Thank you.

aitteam
aitteam
Ukraine
Local time: 15:07
English to Ukrainian
New tool for terminology management purpose Oct 26, 2007

Tatiana Nijboer wrote:

What is on the market now? Does anyone have a solution?

Thank you.

Recently we have released AnyLexic: Terminology Management Software for Freelance Translators and Translation Agencies. It does exactly what this thread is about.

AnyLexic fully supports import and export in .CSV, .TXT, and .XLS formats, and is fully Unicode-compliant.

You can download free 30-day evaluation of AnyLexic from

http://www.anylexic.com/download.html

Best regards,
Vladimir.
----------------------------------------------
Vladimir Pedchenko,
AIT Software Development Team
http://www.translation3000.com
http://www.anycount.com
http://www.projetex.com

Netherlands
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you for your software! Oct 28, 2007

You are the best! I looked at it and plan to buy it. It is the best thing I have seen upto now.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sebastian Abbo
Sebastian Abbo
French to English
Lingo 4.0 Terminology Management System Jan 22, 2008

Hi Marcello,

You could try Lingo 4.0 which my company released just over a year ago. I think it matches precisely what you are looking for.

Lingo 4.0 is a standalone easy to use terminology management system, allowing the creation and management of multilingual dictionaries in any language combinations. Unlike a spreadsheet application or Word, it can easily handle very large amounts of data. It is Unicode compatible and can import and export XML (TMX) and text files, m
... See more
Hi Marcello,

You could try Lingo 4.0 which my company released just over a year ago. I think it matches precisely what you are looking for.

Lingo 4.0 is a standalone easy to use terminology management system, allowing the creation and management of multilingual dictionaries in any language combinations. Unlike a spreadsheet application or Word, it can easily handle very large amounts of data. It is Unicode compatible and can import and export XML (TMX) and text files, making it compatible with most CAT tools.

A 30 day evaluation version of Lingo 4.0 is available at:

http://www.lexicool.com/soft_lingo2.asp

Regards,

Sebastian Abbo
Oxyka SARL - lexicool.com
France
Collapse

ps790
ps790
United States
Local time: 07:07
Japanese to English
What about terminology management software for 2-byte languages and batch replacement? May 5, 2013

Among the greatest issues with terminology management, two haven't even been mentioned here yet. That is to say:

(1) Which tools handle 2-byte languages, like Japanese, Chinese, etc. (UNICODE, lacking blank spaces between words)?

(2) Which Word macro-type tools allow batch search-and-replace to replace of all glossary matches in a given Word file in one operation?

Trados MultiTerm may support 2-byte languages, but can't be installed on my PC properly, even
... See more
Among the greatest issues with terminology management, two haven't even been mentioned here yet. That is to say:

(1) Which tools handle 2-byte languages, like Japanese, Chinese, etc. (UNICODE, lacking blank spaces between words)?

(2) Which Word macro-type tools allow batch search-and-replace to replace of all glossary matches in a given Word file in one operation?

Trados MultiTerm may support 2-byte languages, but can't be installed on my PC properly, even using any of SDL's "fixes," and it is very poorly designed for item (2), so I refuse to use Trados.

I can do (2) itself simply by creating a custom Word macro, but such a macro would lack the terminology management features (like easy entry and sorting by length of entry) needed for real terminology management.

--- Steven W. Johnston (JPN-to-ENG translation)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best terminology management (termbase) software???

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »