Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:53
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Feb 1, 2008

My current work is a word-file with lots of index fields: {XE"something"}.

Perhaps these are called something else, but they are for indexing the document after translation.

I wonder which tool handles these fields properly. I now use Wordfast, which has a function for this. But it does not work consistently.

When I press Alt+Ins in order to copy the source into the target, a window opens titled "Translatable Field Translation". Most of the time the suggest
... See more
My current work is a word-file with lots of index fields: {XE"something"}.

Perhaps these are called something else, but they are for indexing the document after translation.

I wonder which tool handles these fields properly. I now use Wordfast, which has a function for this. But it does not work consistently.

When I press Alt+Ins in order to copy the source into the target, a window opens titled "Translatable Field Translation". Most of the time the suggested translation is right, but always in between things get messed up and I have to wright the translation myself, though Wf has translated the same term hundreds of times right.

What are your experience with translation of these fields in various tools.

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 14:53
Spanish
+ ...
Transit did it for me Feb 1, 2008

Hello Heinrich,

Remember my thread about embedded text? I tried several tools and the only one that worked perfectly was Transit. But I was dealing with several kinds of field marks, including XE fields, which were very problematic also.

Since the XE code seems to somehow disrupt the way CAT tools handle segments or TUs, I ended up using Transit's own dictionary tool to replace the text between the XE codes. It was easy with Transit*. I don't remember how WF handles te
... See more
Hello Heinrich,

Remember my thread about embedded text? I tried several tools and the only one that worked perfectly was Transit. But I was dealing with several kinds of field marks, including XE fields, which were very problematic also.

Since the XE code seems to somehow disrupt the way CAT tools handle segments or TUs, I ended up using Transit's own dictionary tool to replace the text between the XE codes. It was easy with Transit*. I don't remember how WF handles terminology but in theory it should work with other tools too.

Claudia

• For the record and maybe this'll help others, Transit tags show up in this format: text. I had to add a space between the tags in order to automatically add the terms in the dictionary. So if you're using a different CAT tool and you can't replace the terms using using the terminology feature, try adding a space to separate the text from the tags.

Good luck. ▲ Collapse

•  

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word Index fields

Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
    TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »