Thread poster: Angel_7
Angel_7
Angel_7  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:50
French to English
+ ...
Jul 7, 2005

Silly question really but as someone new to the profession I don't really understand the difference between these. Can anyone help? Also, are fees for each generally the same?

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:50
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
they are 2 different tasks Jul 7, 2005

Sarah, a proof reader "reads proofs". IOW, they check the text to ensure it reflects the content of the source: that grammar, punctuation, meaning and even formatting are correct. They point out the errors and suggest corrections.
An editor "edits". IOW, they re-write a text to make it sound different, give it a specific style or slant, and the original meaning of the source is maintained in the background, as it were. An editor need not know a second language.
Of course, if the tran
... See more
Sarah, a proof reader "reads proofs". IOW, they check the text to ensure it reflects the content of the source: that grammar, punctuation, meaning and even formatting are correct. They point out the errors and suggest corrections.
An editor "edits". IOW, they re-write a text to make it sound different, give it a specific style or slant, and the original meaning of the source is maintained in the background, as it were. An editor need not know a second language.
Of course, if the translator was given a brief to provide a "version" as opposed to a "translation", editing may not be needed.
HTH
Angela

Sarah390 wrote:

Silly question really but as someone new to the profession I don't really understand the difference between these. Can anyone help? Also, are fees for each generally the same?

Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Editing vs. proofreading Jul 7, 2005

Sarah390 wrote:

"Proofreading" is properly used for the checking of printers' proofs against the original manuscript. The term is widely abused, however, to the extent that it now has no clear meaning.

Marc

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Whatever the client wants it to mean Jul 7, 2005

MarcPrior wrote:
"Proofreading" is properly used for the checking of printers' proofs against the original manuscript. The term is widely abused, however, to the extent that it now has no clear meaning.

...so it is best to clarify with the client who asks for "proofreading" or "editing" exactly what service the client wants.

Angela Arnone
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
I'm afraid I'm going to nit pick here!!! Jul 7, 2005

Marc is right about the original meaning of "proofreading", but it is now widely accepted in the translation field as what I described.
Editing is *not* proofreading at all. It is intervention on the final text and, as I said, doesn't even require the knowledge of the source language. I just edited a text that was translated from Japanese for a customer who sends me his Italian to translate. I was able to edit because I know his sector inside out.
The fact that people interchange th
... See more
Marc is right about the original meaning of "proofreading", but it is now widely accepted in the translation field as what I described.
Editing is *not* proofreading at all. It is intervention on the final text and, as I said, doesn't even require the knowledge of the source language. I just edited a text that was translated from Japanese for a customer who sends me his Italian to translate. I was able to edit because I know his sector inside out.
The fact that people interchange the terms simply means they don't know what they actually mean, so in that respect, GoodWords is right in recommending you confirm what the customer wants from you.
Angela

GoodWords wrote:

MarcPrior wrote:

...so it is best to clarify with the client who asks for "proofreading" or "editing" exactly what service the client wants.
Collapse

MandyT
MandyT  Identity Verified
English to German
Confirm with the client Jul 7, 2005

Hi Sarah,

For most of my clients (including the translation house I used to work for inhouse) proofreading means checking a translation against the original and correcting translation mistakes, spelling and grammar mistakes, improving the style etc.

For only one of my clients it means reading the text to make sure there are no spelling and grammar mistakes, no corrupted characters, bad line breaks in the typeset copy etc. I'm not supposed to change terminology or style
... See more
Hi Sarah,

For most of my clients (including the translation house I used to work for inhouse) proofreading means checking a translation against the original and correcting translation mistakes, spelling and grammar mistakes, improving the style etc.

For only one of my clients it means reading the text to make sure there are no spelling and grammar mistakes, no corrupted characters, bad line breaks in the typeset copy etc. I'm not supposed to change terminology or style. I do not get the original and this is basically the final check before the translation goes to the client.

The best thing would be if you simply ask the client to confirm what exactly they want.

Best wishes

Mandy
Collapse

Angela Arnone
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
This is proofreading and editing Jul 7, 2005

Hi Mandy,
I think you'll find that you are doing two jobs here!
Merriam Webster says:
Main Entry: proof·read
Pronunciation: 'prüf-"rEd
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): proof·read /-"red/; -read·ing
Etymology: back-formation from proofreader
: to read and mark corrections in (as a proof)

2 entries found for edit.
Main Entry: ed·it
Pronunciation: 'e-d&t
Etymo
... See more
Hi Mandy,
I think you'll find that you are doing two jobs here!
Merriam Webster says:
Main Entry: proof·read
Pronunciation: 'prüf-"rEd
Inflected Form(s): proof·read /-"red/; -read·ing
Etymology: back-formation from proofreader
: to read and mark corrections in (as a proof)

2 entries found for edit.
Main Entry: ed·it
Pronunciation: 'e-d&t
Etymology: back-formation from editor
..... c : to alter, adapt, or refine especially to bring about conformity to a standard or to suit a particular purpose

I'd say the style improvement part is "editing" and the corections are proofreading.
Angela

MandyT wrote:
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
This previous discussion may help you Jul 7, 2005

http://www.proz.com/topic/21937

Angela Arnone
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Thanks to fellow mod! Jul 7, 2005

This is a good link and confirms the various issues raised here.
Thanks!
Angela

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:50
French to English
The difference Jul 8, 2005

I have always been under the impression that editing involves comparing the translation to the original and making any changes to the translation if there are errors, and that proofreading is checking the translation (no comparison to the source) for spelling, grammar, punctuation, formatting, etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing vs. proofreading

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »