Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
TRANSLATION COMPETITION: anyone interested?
Thread poster: CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 04:53
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 4, 2001

I am involved (through another list) in a translation competition launched by a generous Italian translator (who is providing the framework, the work, the time and the prizes, Roberto Arcangeli, whom I want to thank publicly on this site as well) The idea is to promote and encourage young talents and new entrants into the translation market.

Is there any interest here on Proz.com into launching such an initiative in 2002 in various language combinations, under the supervision of mods
... See more
I am involved (through another list) in a translation competition launched by a generous Italian translator (who is providing the framework, the work, the time and the prizes, Roberto Arcangeli, whom I want to thank publicly on this site as well) The idea is to promote and encourage young talents and new entrants into the translation market.

Is there any interest here on Proz.com into launching such an initiative in 2002 in various language combinations, under the supervision of mods and a panel of experienced translators in the language combination?

What matters is not the entity of the prize per se (if Henry agrees, Proz.com could provide a premium membership or so many Browniz or Kudoz points) but the chance to prove oneself.

I look forward to input and feedback by colleagues from various language combinations.

cheers

paola ludovici macquarrie

mod EN>IT

Collapse

Thomas Bollmann
Thomas Bollmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:53
English to German
+ ...
Good idea Dec 4, 2001

It would be a good thing for a young and inexperienced translator, like me, to demonstrate his/her knowledge and translation skills. Could you give us more information about the competition?

Kind regards

Thomas Bollmann

LFRodrigue (X)
LFRodrigue (X)
English to Italian
+ ...
More Info Dec 4, 2001

Ciao Paola! E come funzionerebbe questa iniziativa? La potresti spiegare più dettagliatamente?

Mireia Oliva Solé
Mireia Oliva Solé  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:53
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A wonderful idea! Dec 4, 2001

Dear Paola,

At last I´ve read a different, bright and useful topic in this forum!

That´s what do we (the translators, I mean) need, a translation competition where the translators can actually show their knowledge without considering the origin, the rates, the qualifications or other subjects not directly related to the fact of being or not a good translator.

Never mind the prize, that can be later decided, the best prize is the effort of the translator
... See more
Dear Paola,

At last I´ve read a different, bright and useful topic in this forum!

That´s what do we (the translators, I mean) need, a translation competition where the translators can actually show their knowledge without considering the origin, the rates, the qualifications or other subjects not directly related to the fact of being or not a good translator.

Never mind the prize, that can be later decided, the best prize is the effort of the translators and their further learning by reading and comparing the others translations.

Cheers,

Mireia Oliva
Collapse

DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
DR. RICHARD BAVRY (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
And Who, Pray Tell, Shall Judge the Judges? Dec 4, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-12-04 05:48, ludovici wrote:

Is there any interest here on Proz.... See more
Quote:

On 2001-12-04 05:48, ludovici wrote:

Is there any interest here on Proz.com into launching such an initiative in 2002 in various language combinations, under the supervision of mods and a panel of experienced translators in the language combination?

What matters is not the entity of the prize per se (if Henry agrees, Proz.com could provide a premium membership or so many Browniz or Kudoz points) but the chance to prove oneself.

I look forward to input and feedback by colleagues from various language combinations.

cheers

paola ludovici macquarrie

mod EN>IT

Res ipse loquitur.

Addendum:

http://www.bartleby.com/65/me/Mene-Men.html

Mene, Mene, Tekel, Upharsin

in the Bible, the mysterious riddle written by a hand on the wall at Belshazzar’s feast. These Aramaic words may be translated literally as, “It has been counted and counted, weighed and divided.” Daniel interpreted this to mean that the king’s deeds had been weighed and found deficient and that his kingdom would therefore be divided.

So much for competition...thus sayeth the Lord!

Guess the Lord thought that the \"King\" was just not marketable!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-04 07:22 ]Collapse

Laura Molinari
Laura Molinari  Identity Verified
Canada
French to English
+ ...
Great idea Dec 4, 2001

Paola,

I like your suggestion a lot because there is not much out there for relatively new and junior translators such as myself who are constantly looking for ways to prove our ability. I read with interest a recent posting on the British Literary translation competition, but believe it would be out of my league.

Let\'s hope there\'s enough interest to make this a reality!
[addsig]

Andrei Albu
Andrei Albu
Romania
Local time: 11:53
Member (2002)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Translation Contest Dec 4, 2001

Sorry, but I think when it comes to prizes, they do matter a lot. If you are going to offer a three or more zeros figure prize you are more likely to attract well established professionals. This would not be fair to beginners or would-be translators, wouldn\'t it? At the same time, I fully agree that competition is the fairest manner for making your way through. But then we already have the KudoZ and BrowniZ points for that purpose. There is nothing to prevent translators, be them beginners, fro... See more
Sorry, but I think when it comes to prizes, they do matter a lot. If you are going to offer a three or more zeros figure prize you are more likely to attract well established professionals. This would not be fair to beginners or would-be translators, wouldn\'t it? At the same time, I fully agree that competition is the fairest manner for making your way through. But then we already have the KudoZ and BrowniZ points for that purpose. There is nothing to prevent translators, be them beginners, from working their way through these cooperative tools.

FWIW,

Andrei
Collapse

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:23
English to Hindi
+ ...
interesting idea Dec 4, 2001

Paola\'s idea is very interesting. Implementation might just be pretty exciting.

Roomy Naqvy
[addsig]

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not perfection, but the best possible effort, with the best possible tools... Dec 4, 2001

I have had to contend with bouts of perfectionism throughout my life, Dr. Bavry, and I know through personal experience that perfectionism may edge onto nihilism, paralysis of the will and of the heart. We know that judges are not perfect, yet we still have a justice system, and we still try to keep innocent people out of jail, and people found guilty inside. Knowing that judges may or may not be the best possible judges, does not make us all give up on the justice system, or does it?
... See more
I have had to contend with bouts of perfectionism throughout my life, Dr. Bavry, and I know through personal experience that perfectionism may edge onto nihilism, paralysis of the will and of the heart. We know that judges are not perfect, yet we still have a justice system, and we still try to keep innocent people out of jail, and people found guilty inside. Knowing that judges may or may not be the best possible judges, does not make us all give up on the justice system, or does it?

Let\'s be constructive here. Do you think it is a bad idea? Why? Do you think I would be a bad judge? I have no problem with being shown that I am a bad translator. Do you propose yourself as a judge? I personally would appreciate your contribution.

Thanks for your input.

paola
Collapse

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Literary, IT, technical etc. Dec 4, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-12-04 09:20, roomynaqvy wrote:

Paola\'s idea is very interesting. Implementation might just be pretty exciting.

Roomy Naqvy

Thank you, Roomy.

I forgot to mention that Roberto Arcangeli has devised a great structure for his competition in which several types of short texts have to be tackled.

paola l m

Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Why protest even before seeing how it will be organized... :-) Dec 4, 2001

new ideas should never be discouraged - let us criticize them when we know something more detailed about them!

I think it is a very interesting initiative, Paola, thanks for having suggested it!

Gilda

Michaela Müller
Michaela Müller
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Very fresh and good idea! Dec 4, 2001

Paola, I think it is a very interesting and refreshing idea. I have never seen such an initiative before, so I would be very interested in seeing how it works.

I also think, especially \"young talents and new entrants into the translation market\" need promotion and a possibility to show their talents and knowledge.

Maybe it will be difficult to arrange the whole thing (especially: Who will be the judge?), but it is possible to do it.

... See more
Paola, I think it is a very interesting and refreshing idea. I have never seen such an initiative before, so I would be very interested in seeing how it works.

I also think, especially \"young talents and new entrants into the translation market\" need promotion and a possibility to show their talents and knowledge.

Maybe it will be difficult to arrange the whole thing (especially: Who will be the judge?), but it is possible to do it.

So, I will wait and see how this discussion is going on.

Best wishes,

Michaela

Collapse

Gabriela Tenenbaum (X)
Gabriela Tenenbaum (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 05:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for your suggestion! Dec 4, 2001

Dear Paola:

Thank you for including us in this very interesting project. Is it possible to participate online?. Keep us updated and thanks again!

Gaby )

Suzanne Bernard
Suzanne Bernard
Local time: 05:53
English to French
+ ...
A breath of fresh air! Dec 4, 2001

Thank you, Paola, for bringing along a new, more positive subject!

Other topics -which I won\'t even bring up for fear of starting the same discussions all over again- have pretty much been studied from every angle.

The idea of a translation contest is very interesting! I hope to read more about it soon!

As for criticism listed above, let\'s calm down here (take a nice deep breath-aa
... See more
Thank you, Paola, for bringing along a new, more positive subject!

Other topics -which I won\'t even bring up for fear of starting the same discussions all over again- have pretty much been studied from every angle.

The idea of a translation contest is very interesting! I hope to read more about it soon!

As for criticism listed above, let\'s calm down here (take a nice deep breath-aaaahhhhh), and give new ideas a chance. Come on guys, I see no need to be afraid of some friendly competition...And who said anything about a \"three or more zeros figure prize\" anyways?

Keep us posted on this one, Paola!

Best regards,

Suzanne
Collapse

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 03:53
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
very (probably too) delicate issue, if not provocative,,, Dec 4, 2001

I don\'t mind the idea of such competition, but where to get the proper judges?

And with translation (well, let\'s say, non-technical) the tastes can be differ exactly like in case of literary works.

Anyway, (but it\'s my personal view) any proz judge may only say \"i (personally) like it\" or \"i don\'t like it\". I mean I don\'t know who would be \'entitled\' to say \'this is the best translation of all\'.

No offence and best wishes,

Vladimir

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRANSLATION COMPETITION: anyone interested?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »