Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to John Sep 30, 2004

John Bowden wrote:

I would say, although I may be wrong, that at the moment the term is seldom if ever used in British English, although it does seem to have entered North American and Australian English. The usual term in the UK is "workplace bullying" I think.

Thanks for the clarification:-)

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Baby-foot Sep 30, 2004

I just looked that one up. Baby-foot is French for foosball. That's right, foosball. Also known as table football.

About bullying. I used to do it. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to all of you bully victims out there. I used to be a little punk.

Just fueling the fire.

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
Making off... (and other bad transfers) Sep 30, 2004

The Spanish seem to have got it in their heads that a documentary about how a film was made is a "making-off"!

Today I was explaining to some friends what a "crack" really means. They were most surprised when I mentioned that it meant "cocaine"

TERMCAT says the English equivalent of "mítin" is a "meeting", when they are clearly referring to an election rally!

A friend who's an English teacher in Paris told me what the French call a clipboard, but I can't r
... See more
The Spanish seem to have got it in their heads that a documentary about how a film was made is a "making-off"!

Today I was explaining to some friends what a "crack" really means. They were most surprised when I mentioned that it meant "cocaine"

TERMCAT says the English equivalent of "mítin" is a "meeting", when they are clearly referring to an election rally!

A friend who's an English teacher in Paris told me what the French call a clipboard, but I can't remember. Anyone know? (Not the official word, but the bad transfer.)

Isn't Roger Federer a great tennisman! (French)

TF1 once did a report about how airlines book extra people on flights and said the following (quoting from memory): Les compagnies aériennes utilisent la surréservation, ou en anglais, le surbooking...

In Spanish a "baby-foot" is a "fútin/fúting"!

In French slang, I've often heard "je suis très speed" or even, in vérlan, "je suis de-spee".

Finally, both Televisión Española and the newspaper "El Periódico" have referred to a "match-ball" in tennis.
Collapse

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Futbolín Sep 30, 2004

In Spanish a "baby-foot" is a "fútin/fúting"!

No, no, no... Foosball or table football has a proper noun: "futbolín", usually used in plural as in play table football: "jugar a los futbolines".

P.
www.pbayle.com

[Edited at 2004-09-30 19:50]

[Edited at 2004-09-30 19:51]

Edward Potter
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jugar al futbolín Oct 1, 2004

Pilar,

¿En qué parte de españa vives? Aquí en Valencia solo he oído "jugar al futbolín" en singular.

One of my favorites here in Spain is "un donuts" or "un donus", I´m not sure which they are saying - it may very well change from person to person. I think it´s funny because they are using a plural English word in the singular.

Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
happy at the Heppy Hour Oct 1, 2004

...complete with hippa hoppa music.

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
Futbolín Oct 2, 2004

Sorry, the "futín" was a mis-type. Here in Barcelona they also use "futbolín" whether speaking Castillian or Catalan.

Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
English
+ ...
El Periodico uses "Bullying" Oct 4, 2004

This week a young boy in Spain committed suicide after a series of bullying incidents. The response was a headline news article in this Saturday's "El Periodico" where they used the word "bullying" and went to great lengths to explain the phenomenon.

What a pity! This is another "Anglo Import" into Spain that the country could have well done without. Before this incident, whenever I explained the savagery perpetrated on me as a young kid, I was met by incredulity - now perhaps peo
... See more
This week a young boy in Spain committed suicide after a series of bullying incidents. The response was a headline news article in this Saturday's "El Periodico" where they used the word "bullying" and went to great lengths to explain the phenomenon.

What a pity! This is another "Anglo Import" into Spain that the country could have well done without. Before this incident, whenever I explained the savagery perpetrated on me as a young kid, I was met by incredulity - now perhaps people will know I was not exaggerrating.

Apologies accepted Edward - but the hurt you probably did runs really deep - take it from one who knows....
Collapse

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Bullying Oct 4, 2004

Following on from Bernie's post, there's also a lengthy article in today's "El País" on "bullying", correctly spelt throughout.

When I first read Ailish's post I thought it was just the pronunciation gone awry.

But even though "bulling" (sic) may appear in print, it's surely the same as our beloved "Foreing Office". (After all, everyone knows that all English words end in "ing", ¿o no?)

On the rare occasions I actually see "Foreign Office" in the paper I
... See more
Following on from Bernie's post, there's also a lengthy article in today's "El País" on "bullying", correctly spelt throughout.

When I first read Ailish's post I thought it was just the pronunciation gone awry.

But even though "bulling" (sic) may appear in print, it's surely the same as our beloved "Foreing Office". (After all, everyone knows that all English words end in "ing", ¿o no?)

On the rare occasions I actually see "Foreign Office" in the paper I automatically assume it's a typo.

Cheers,
Andy
Collapse

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Local time: 09:27
Chinese to English
+ ...
We Cantonese refer to people who behave aggressively as "best/master of bull". Oct 22, 2004

So "bulling" sounds natural to my ears. In fact, OED has similar definition in this regard.

3. To behave or move like a bull; to act with violence in the manner of a bull. Also refl. U.S. slang.
1884 'Mark Twain's Huck. Finn xvi. 144 Up-stream boats+bull right up the channel. Ibid. xxvii. 276 The old fool he bulled right along. 1947 A. Miller All my Sons 11, Don't come bulling in here. If you've got something to say, be civilized about it. Ibid. 111, You can't bull yours
... See more
So "bulling" sounds natural to my ears. In fact, OED has similar definition in this regard.

3. To behave or move like a bull; to act with violence in the manner of a bull. Also refl. U.S. slang.
1884 'Mark Twain's Huck. Finn xvi. 144 Up-stream boats+bull right up the channel. Ibid. xxvii. 276 The old fool he bulled right along. 1947 A. Miller All my Sons 11, Don't come bulling in here. If you've got something to say, be civilized about it. Ibid. 111, You can't bull yourself through this one, Joe, you better be smart now. 1956 Time 10 Sept. 30/1 A mob of about 400 Texans bulled about the school grounds.

IMHO, there's no misspelling or bad transfer in the process.
Collapse

Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
English
+ ...
Bulling is not bullying Oct 22, 2004

Last Hermit wrote:
.... the OED has similar definition in this regard.

Hi there "oh solitary one"

The definition you offer IS used, if not commonly, to describe the "bull in a china shop" behaviour. Implying aggression and lack of care.

But bullying is more specific. It describes the sort of behaviour that involves the systematic victimisation of a person by a gang (or a single dominant person). The main individual doing this is known as a "bully".

It is a behaviour that is endemic to British society and IMHO is behind the hooliganism associated with the British... and many other attitudes the Brits display - that I will not expand on here for fear of breaking our no politics rule. But you can imagine what I am referring to

[Edited at 2004-10-22 09:25]

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
matonismo Oct 22, 2004

More recently I have seen 'bullying' used correctly, as commented by Berni (sorry to hear of your trials as a kid!) and Andycw....

I have also seen it translated as 'matonismo', which to my (non-native ES) mind is a pretty apt translation...

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Local time: 09:27
Chinese to English
+ ...
Thanks for your kind enlightening, Berni. Oct 22, 2004

Berni Armstrong wrote:

The definition you offer IS used, if not commonly, to describe the "bull in a china shop" behaviour. Implying aggression and lack of care.

But bullying is more specific. It describes the sort of behaviour that involves the systematic victimisation of a person by a gang (or a single dominant person). The main individual doing this is known as a "bully".

It is a behaviour that is endemic to British society and IMHO is behind the hooliganism associated with the British... and many other attitudes the Brits display - that I will not expand on here for fear of breaking our no politics rule. But you can imagine what I am referring to

Obviously, I misunderstood the word. I didn't know such specifics.

Edward Potter
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bullying and Hooliganism Oct 28, 2004

I hope we don't stray to far off topic here.

Bernie,

Good comments and it is very worthwhile to discuss this subject. The U.S. culture, greatly derived from the British culture, sees its share of bullying as well. As I have had the chance to compare U.S. bullying with other societies I would say the phenomenom is largely cultural. This weakness could be a strength as it shows people kind of cooperating together for a common goal. (It's okay to laugh at that comment).
... See more
I hope we don't stray to far off topic here.

Bernie,

Good comments and it is very worthwhile to discuss this subject. The U.S. culture, greatly derived from the British culture, sees its share of bullying as well. As I have had the chance to compare U.S. bullying with other societies I would say the phenomenom is largely cultural. This weakness could be a strength as it shows people kind of cooperating together for a common goal. (It's okay to laugh at that comment). It is a group mentality that has gone astray. Later on, hopefully, the children will grow out of it. Hooligans never did grow out of it and should be locked up or something, because deep down they are just sissies. Furthermore, they can't hold their liquor, are too scared to have a fair fight with anyone and the teams that they support suck. But I digress.

As far as me being a bully, yeah I did it. I remember how much of a coward I was in going along with the little group, scared that I might be the next victim rather than poor little Johnny who's life was made a living hell by us punky children. We are talking approximately 10 years old here.

Of course, I was also on the receiving end as well. I got bullied quite a bit by sundry older kids throughout the neighborhood. Kind of sucks.

In the end one must grow up, admit he is wrong and move on. As an adult I think it would be interesting to meet up with a few of these bullies I knew as a child. I hear one of the more notorious ones got put in the slammer. GOOD! Another, however, shaped up and ended up a decent citizen, so I hear.

And of course I ended up being some wayward translater living in Spain.
Collapse

Richard Benham
Richard Benham  Identity Verified
France
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
What about buffaloing? Jan 15, 2005

Of course "bulling" is a load of bull, like so many other "English" words used in other languages. I remember in Berlin I used to go to a "Spät-Buffet" on Thursday nights at around 21:30, to be presented with a bill for "Brunch".

"Bull" is not used in genuine English the sense of "bully", but according to Stephen Pinker and many dictionaries at least, "buffalo" is. Hence the sentence:

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."

(Inte
... See more
Of course "bulling" is a load of bull, like so many other "English" words used in other languages. I remember in Berlin I used to go to a "Spät-Buffet" on Thursday nights at around 21:30, to be presented with a bill for "Brunch".

"Bull" is not used in genuine English the sense of "bully", but according to Stephen Pinker and many dictionaries at least, "buffalo" is. Hence the sentence:

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."

(Interpretation: Buffalo from Buffalo that get intimidated by (other) buffalo from Buffalo in turn intimidate (yet other) buffalo from Buffalo.)
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'bulling' or 'bullying'?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »