Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:31
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
And I was taught spelled/spelt Apr 13, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Erik Freitag wrote:

Isn't this a hoax? I've never seen it spelt with an "n".

- or spelled?

I was taught that the verb to spell can be spelled but also spelt

here a link, is it wrong?

http://www.englishgratis.com/1/risorse/grammatica/gram-v-02-paradigmadeiverbiirregolari.htm

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:31
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
pt.... Apr 13, 2016

I was taught that in words such a ptarmigan or pterodactyl, the pee is silent, as in "bath".

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Fascinating! Apr 13, 2016

I've never seen it spelt this way before. But it gets 347,000 Google hits, the third of which is from the NBC News website.

My parents got annoyed with my teacher because I wrote "business" and she corrected it to "buisness".

[Edited at 2016-04-13 18:57 GMT]

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
From Wikipedia: Apr 13, 2016

From Wikipedia:

"The errant spelling dilemna is often seen in common usage. It appears to have been taught in many areas of the United States and all over the world, including (but not limited to) France, England, Jamaica and Australia.[1][2][3] There is no prima facie reason for this substitution error and there is no erroneous parallel to be found with the word lemma, from which dilemma derives."

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I guess this sort of thing happens a lot... Apr 13, 2016

Example: There are tons of forums and websites where people swear that the book/movie used to be "Interview with a Vampire" and not "Interview with the Vampire": https://www.reddit.com/r/MandelaEffect/comments/2jztwz/interview_with_a_vampire_is_now_interview_with/

There are also people who swear they remember "The Berenste
... See more
Example: There are tons of forums and websites where people swear that the book/movie used to be "Interview with a Vampire" and not "Interview with the Vampire": https://www.reddit.com/r/MandelaEffect/comments/2jztwz/interview_with_a_vampire_is_now_interview_with/

There are also people who swear they remember "The Berenstein Bears" children's book: http://www.vice.com/read/the-berensteain-bears-conspiracy-theory-that-has-convinced-the-internet-there-are-parallel-universes

There's even a name for this The Mandela Effect: http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/mandela-effect#.cf4LozaxZ

One of the funny conspiracy theories is the dual universe theory: "It's only people from Universe A that tend to notice these glitches, while Universe B folks keep telling me that these things 'have always been this way', well I suppose they have been, but only in Universe B.

It's like two worlds are merging, probably started in late 1997. "

[Edited at 2016-04-13 20:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-04-13 20:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-04-13 20:23 GMT]
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Berenstein! Apr 13, 2016

LegalTransform wrote:

There are also people who swear they remember "The Berenstein Bears" children's book: http://www.vice.com/read/the-berensteain-bears-conspiracy-theory-that-has-convinced-the-internet-there-are-parallel-universes

Including me! I have checked my daughter's books more than once and still can't quite convince myself that it has always been Berenstain... I remember Berenstein!

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 20:31
Chinese to English
+ ...
WHAT!? Apr 14, 2016

http://www.vice.com/read/the-berensteain-bears-conspiracy-theory-that-has-convinced-the-internet-there-are-parallel-universes

There is no longer anything to believe in.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
not the same old story Apr 14, 2016

This is not a genuine difference between UK and US English, it is just a mistake that is apparently widespread in the US and not elsewhere. I grew up in the US and have never heard of it before, and I don't think that I've ever even seen it.

Dilemna is nothing but a damned mistake that does not even have enough currency to be condemned among the columns of any English dictionary or style guide's solemn columns. How could anyone get such a crazy notion stuck in their head?

... See more
This is not a genuine difference between UK and US English, it is just a mistake that is apparently widespread in the US and not elsewhere. I grew up in the US and have never heard of it before, and I don't think that I've ever even seen it.

Dilemna is nothing but a damned mistake that does not even have enough currency to be condemned among the columns of any English dictionary or style guide's solemn columns. How could anyone get such a crazy notion stuck in their head?

PS: The Berenstein Bears books at our house are written by the Berensteins, because I just took a permanent marker and corrected them.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Mandela and Rushdie Apr 14, 2016

I experienced a Mandela effect but with Salman Rushdie.

At the time of the fatwa, my alarm goes off as usual one morning. At the time my alarm was a radio, set for 7.00 am, so the first thing I heard was the news bulletin. They announced that Salman Rushdie had died of TB. Those tasked with his security were "pleased" that he had died of a natural cause and not by the hand of a terrorist. Islamists claimed to have "won" because Allah had taken the life of this "evil man".
... See more
I experienced a Mandela effect but with Salman Rushdie.

At the time of the fatwa, my alarm goes off as usual one morning. At the time my alarm was a radio, set for 7.00 am, so the first thing I heard was the news bulletin. They announced that Salman Rushdie had died of TB. Those tasked with his security were "pleased" that he had died of a natural cause and not by the hand of a terrorist. Islamists claimed to have "won" because Allah had taken the life of this "evil man".

I rushed to get a paper for more details, there were none. Must have been printed before the death was announced. No news in the evening issue either. Weird. So the French are not interested in this writer?

Took me several days to realise that I must have dreamt it, I was that convinced of the fact.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dilemna or dilemma? Are you sure?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »