"Remove personal information from this file on save" setting in Word 365?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:22
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jul 12, 2022

Hello everyone

Can anyone tell me where is the "Remove personal information from this file on save" setting in Word 365?

To explain: I'm editing in tracked changes. The document has tracked changes from previous editors. When I press Ctrl+S, it changes the colour of my edits to be the same as the colour of everyone else's edits. I want to disable that setting (so that I can see my edits in a different colour). Does anyone know how to do that in Word 365?

... See more
Hello everyone

Can anyone tell me where is the "Remove personal information from this file on save" setting in Word 365?

To explain: I'm editing in tracked changes. The document has tracked changes from previous editors. When I press Ctrl+S, it changes the colour of my edits to be the same as the colour of everyone else's edits. I want to disable that setting (so that I can see my edits in a different colour). Does anyone know how to do that in Word 365?

So, I'm not asking how to remove personal information (this is what Google seems to think is my question). Instead, I'm asking how NOT to let Word change my tracked changes user to a generic user every time I press Save.

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Althea Draper
Althea Draper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Is this what you mean? Jul 12, 2022

Am I right in thinking you want to see your edits in blue, say, when you save the document while keeping another editor's work in red, and another's work in green? This link shows you how to do that. You can then choose to see a single editor's changes in one colour, changes made by two editors in two colours, etc, or all changes (all in different colours). I think part 4 is the bit that ensures that you stay distinct from the previous editors... See more
Am I right in thinking you want to see your edits in blue, say, when you save the document while keeping another editor's work in red, and another's work in green? This link shows you how to do that. You can then choose to see a single editor's changes in one colour, changes made by two editors in two colours, etc, or all changes (all in different colours). I think part 4 is the bit that ensures that you stay distinct from the previous editors.

https://www.officetooltips.com/word_365/tips/how_to_change_the_author_name_to_track_changes_as_another_person.html

[Edited at 2022-07-12 11:01 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, unfortunately that's not it Jul 12, 2022

Althea Draper wrote:
Am I right in thinking you want to see your edits in blue, say, when you save the document while keeping another editor's work in red, and another's work in green?

Yes, but I want to keep seeing my edits in a different colour AFTER I save the file.

The instructions you link to tells me how to set up the colours for different users, but what I want to know is how to ensure that the user ID of my edits doesn't get changed to a generic "Author" as soon as I press Save.

Althea Draper
Althea Draper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
The important bit Jul 12, 2022

is to make sure that the option "Always use these values regardless of sign in to Office" is selected and then close Word. Once you reopen Word and the file, it won't change your editor name or edit colours to those of previous editors when you save in the future. I've tried it out on a dummy file and it works OK for me.

When you save the file is the editor name reverting to the author names shown in the info page of your Word package i.e. your sign in name and those of other auth
... See more
is to make sure that the option "Always use these values regardless of sign in to Office" is selected and then close Word. Once you reopen Word and the file, it won't change your editor name or edit colours to those of previous editors when you save in the future. I've tried it out on a dummy file and it works OK for me.

When you save the file is the editor name reverting to the author names shown in the info page of your Word package i.e. your sign in name and those of other authors of the document?

[Edited at 2022-07-12 12:40 GMT]
Collapse

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
Trust Center Jul 12, 2022

Hi Samuel, the path to follow is:

File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Privacy Options > Remove personal information from the file properties on save

[Edited at 2022-07-12 17:26 GMT]

Gustavo Shintate

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Remove personal information from this file on save" setting in Word 365?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »