Lamine Boukabour
Lamine Boukabour  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 09:49
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
Dec 23, 2022

Hello,

After converting a PDF file to a Word file in my Google Drive, I downloaded it, and once I tried to open it I received the text shown in the attached screenshot.

Screenshot 2022-12-23 144446

"Word experienced an error trying to open the file. Try these suggestions.
* Check the file permissions for the document or drive. * Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space.
* Open the file with the Text Recovery converter. (C:\...\Kaye_Issues_and_Debates_in_Cyb...)"

Do you have any idea about this issue?

Kind Regards,
Lamine

[Edited at 2022-12-23 14:02 GMT]

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:49
Greek to English
Try something different Dec 24, 2022

It isn't clear to me how you converted the file and Windows obviously has no idea what's wrong with it.

Suggestions:

1. Try converting the PDF to a different Word-readable format, e.g. .doc instead of .docx, or .rtf, or .odt.

2. Try using different software to convert the file. There are free on-line PDF to Word converters, some with limitations. I use ABBYY Fine reader, which is usually pretty good.

neilmac

Lamine Boukabour
Lamine Boukabour  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 09:49
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
I will try Dec 24, 2022

Thank you @Philip Lees, I will try.
Philip Lees wrote:

It isn't clear to me how you converted the file and Windows obviously has no idea what's wrong with it.

Suggestions:

1. Try converting the PDF to a different Word-readable format, e.g. .doc instead of .docx, or .rtf, or .odt.

2. Try using different software to convert the file. There are free on-line PDF to Word converters, some with limitations. I use ABBYY Fine reader, which is usually pretty good.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word file can't be opened

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »