Stron w wątku:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you use a digital signature when signing formal agreements provided by your clients?
Autor wątku: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
PERSONEL PORTALU
Jan 7, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you use a digital signature when signing formal agreements provided by your clients?".

View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 12:27
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
Other Jan 7, 2016

I haven't yet used what is known as a "digital signature," which I found a little difficult to figure out. I've decided to wait until I have no choice.

In the meantime, I use a digital JPEG of my signature. So far, no one has complained.

[Edited at 2016-01-07 08:31 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugalia
Local time: 20:27
Członek ProZ.com
od 2007

angielski > portugalski
+ ...
Ditto! Jan 7, 2016

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I haven't yet used what is known as a "digital signature," which I found a little difficult to figure out. I've decided to wait until I have no choice.

In the meantime, I use a digital JPEG of my signature. So far, no one has complained.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japonia
Local time: 04:27
Członek ProZ.com
od 2011

japoński > angielski
No Jan 7, 2016

Because in Japan, the custom is to do things in an analog way:

You have to either physically sign or stamp by customized seal (or registered seal in the case of companies) and send back the document by post in most cases since it has to be countersigned (counterstamped) by the issuing party.
You may also have to attach a revenue stamp as well which costs 5,000 yen (about $42) if you are incorporated for new contracts or making amendments/updates to old contracts.

... See more
Because in Japan, the custom is to do things in an analog way:

You have to either physically sign or stamp by customized seal (or registered seal in the case of companies) and send back the document by post in most cases since it has to be countersigned (counterstamped) by the issuing party.
You may also have to attach a revenue stamp as well which costs 5,000 yen (about $42) if you are incorporated for new contracts or making amendments/updates to old contracts.

I'm not even sure that digital signatures are even allowed here.
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Duplicate post
Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:27
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

francuski > włoski
+ ...
Yes Jan 7, 2016

I use it

Happy New year!

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
włoski > angielski
+ ...
Yup Jan 7, 2016

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I thought that was what they meant and said Yes ....

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Duplicate post
Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 20:27
portugalski > angielski
+ ...
Yes, always Jan 7, 2016

It's very easy to set up a signature in most of the latest PDF programmes.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Dania
duński > angielski
+ ...
Other Jan 7, 2016

I avoid all clients who insist on me signing THEIR business terms.

Linda Miranda
Linda Miranda  Identity Verified
Portugalia
francuski > portugalski
+ ...
Never used a true digital signature Jan 7, 2016

Like Muriel and Teresa, I've never used a true digital signature, I've used a JPEG of my signature a few times though.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:27
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
Terms and conditions aren't conditional Jan 7, 2016

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

I avoid all clients who insist on me signing THEIR business terms.

…or set in stone. While I avoid clients who want me to sign their contracts without any changes to the terms and conditions, I always propose changing or striking out controversial clauses.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:27
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
Digital signatures Jan 7, 2016

On one hand, digital signatures are commonplace here in the case of companies that direct you to a website to open a secure packet of interactive PDF documents. After you write your full name, the PDF document renders a digital signature, most commonly your initials or your name written with a cursive or italics typeface.

On the other, a JPEG, PNG or TIFF file containing your physical signature can be prepared, copied and pasted on a PDF document, which is what I always do when I ne
... See more
On one hand, digital signatures are commonplace here in the case of companies that direct you to a website to open a secure packet of interactive PDF documents. After you write your full name, the PDF document renders a digital signature, most commonly your initials or your name written with a cursive or italics typeface.

On the other, a JPEG, PNG or TIFF file containing your physical signature can be prepared, copied and pasted on a PDF document, which is what I always do when I need to sign a tax form for a client or what a particular client calls a declaration (sort of a translation certificate).
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Hiszpania
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
FNMT Jan 7, 2016

In Spain it is the National Mint, the FNMT, which authorises digital signatures. I use this to sign my bills so that I can send them electronically rather than on paper.

You need a paid-up version of Adobe to be able to attach this to your pdf, afaik.

But for agreements with clients I either scan a hand-signed agreement for their files - this would be the case for NDAs, or send them a "yes, that's fine as set out in our previous e-mail".

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Niemcy
Członek ProZ.com
od 2009

angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
No Jan 7, 2016

As our colleagues have stated before, I avoid "blindly" signining any agreements. When the terms are negotiable and both parties have reached an agreement, then I use my authentic signature in a pdf (copy) only which can be secured.

The few options of providing digital signatues are too far away from my real signature for me to even consider using one of them.

Stron w wątku:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorzy tego forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use a digital signature when signing formal agreements provided by your clients?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »