Poll: Is your income higher than the average in your age group in your country of residence?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 19, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Is your income higher than the average in your age group in your country of residence?".

View the poll results »

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:55
English to Italian
YES/NO Oct 19, 2016

Sorry but I earn more than my friend who is a bus driver, but less than another friend who is a bank manager.
My income is higher than other translators but lower than others....
It depends on jobs, qualifications, education, area where you live....
So at the end of the day... how do you calculate "the average"?

[Edited at 2016-10-19 09:06 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:55
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Oct 19, 2016

I'm a senior. I just now checked, and my translation-related income, no matter how you figure it, is above the median income for my age group in the United States.

If you I include my pension from when I worked as an in-house translator, then I earn more than the median income for all age groups.

BTW, I could only find figures for median income; average income is not considered a reliable indicator.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't know Oct 19, 2016

As Gianluca points out, the whole notion of 'average' is somewhat spurious. I'm quite old, and when I look at people my age I see some who are well-off and can afford to keep boats and cars and send their children to fee-paying schools, while others are so poor they are raking through the bins outside my local supermarket for something to eat. The thought that we can somehow add the two together and divide them to find a cozy number that makes us all feel good/bad is slightly ridiculous to my mi... See more
As Gianluca points out, the whole notion of 'average' is somewhat spurious. I'm quite old, and when I look at people my age I see some who are well-off and can afford to keep boats and cars and send their children to fee-paying schools, while others are so poor they are raking through the bins outside my local supermarket for something to eat. The thought that we can somehow add the two together and divide them to find a cozy number that makes us all feel good/bad is slightly ridiculous to my mind. But then again, I'm just an old git.

Yesterday, my car broke down on the way back from paying my taxes. It transpired from my conversation with the tow truck driver that I earn about twice as much as he does... So I can't be doing too badly.

[Edited at 2016-10-19 09:16 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:55
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Oct 19, 2016

My monthly income comes from my pension, earned after working 20 years as a staff translator, and from my freelancing activities. Knowing that in Portugal there are a few so-called golden pensions (private and public sectors) but 80% of the pensioners in Portugal receive on average 364 EUR/month, let’s say that my income is higher than the average in my age group…

Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Oct 19, 2016

I did not know how my income compared until this question was asked and I researched the answer...

Interesting link for average income in Europe:

http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?dataset=ilc_di03&lang=en

and in th
... See more
I did not know how my income compared until this question was asked and I researched the answer...

Interesting link for average income in Europe:

http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?dataset=ilc_di03&lang=en

and in the US:

http://www.financialsamurai.com/median-income-by-age-and-sex-in-america/
Collapse

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Statistics Oct 19, 2016

Gianluca Marras wrote:

... how do you calculate "the average"?

You get the tax office to do it! Here are the UK statistics (well, from two years ago): https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/distribution-of-median-and-mean-income-and-tax-by-age-range-and-gender-2010-to-2011

I'm below the UK average. But then, I'm still in the phase of being quite new to freelancing.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:55
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes and No Oct 19, 2016

Yes, as a freelancer, compared to the majrity of in-house workers in most areas, except on high managing positions.
Yes, as a translator, compared to other translators (average) in my country.
No, compared to engineers, doctors, lawyers, government high-level servers, and many other better remunerated positions.
No, compared to senior freelance translators who work only for clients abroad and were able to exclude Brazilian, Chinese, Indian and other clients from their portfolio
... See more
Yes, as a freelancer, compared to the majrity of in-house workers in most areas, except on high managing positions.
Yes, as a translator, compared to other translators (average) in my country.
No, compared to engineers, doctors, lawyers, government high-level servers, and many other better remunerated positions.
No, compared to senior freelance translators who work only for clients abroad and were able to exclude Brazilian, Chinese, Indian and other clients from their portfolio. I'm on my way, but not there, yet.
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
The average might be higher than you think Oct 19, 2016

Most people are surprised when they see what the average salary is. It's higher than people expect because most people they know will be earning far less. The problem is, the very top earners skew the average enormously. For every person earning, say, a million dollars a year, it takes a lot of people on the minimum wage to compensate enough to make the average wage a "normal" wage. Then you've got people earning billions who skew the figures even more. We should still be earning more than the n... See more
Most people are surprised when they see what the average salary is. It's higher than people expect because most people they know will be earning far less. The problem is, the very top earners skew the average enormously. For every person earning, say, a million dollars a year, it takes a lot of people on the minimum wage to compensate enough to make the average wage a "normal" wage. Then you've got people earning billions who skew the figures even more. We should still be earning more than the national average, but perhaps not by as much as we'd expect. It makes more sense to look at the median wage, which is not affected as much by the outliers.Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Oct 19, 2016

Higher than the average income of any given age group... admittedly, kiwis and apples make a nice fruit salad, but what do they have in common?

What do translators, blue-collar workers, engineers, and nannies have in common? Just because they might be in the same age group isn't exactly a solid foundation to base an income study on.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Yes, I think Oct 20, 2016

An average salary is calculated for all European countries. You may argue about its accuracy but the figure is there for reference. The average annual salary in Spain was €26,259 in 2015 according to Expansión, the Spanish business paper. I have no idea what the average is for my age group but I imagine it is only a little higher as wages are poor for many people in Spain.

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
I don't know and I don't care Oct 20, 2016

At the end of the day all that matters to me is whether I'm satisfied with what I'm making. Does it allow me to support my daughter and myself and am I able to afford what I need/want? That's the only thing that is of interest to me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Is your income higher than the average in your age group in your country of residence?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »