Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Only CafeTran Aug 6, 2022

David Patrick wrote:

MemoQ is buggy enough, but when you add in clients insisting on connecting with their servers to use it, its' a recipe for disaster.

Exactly! My stubborn client lost an experienced translator because they wanted me to work on server projects only. The TMs couldn’t be exported. They said.

Funny enough, in the years to follow, no other client ever sent me a mQ project.

It’s nearly always Trados. Sometimes Transit. I translate everything in CafeTran.

I use Trados to download GroupShare and WorldServer projects (that I translate in CafeTran on my Mac). WS projects can be downloaded directly too.

RWS opening the GroupShare protocol would be perfect—but not very likely to happen.

Metin Demirel
Wolfgang Schoene

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 14:55
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
4 Aug 6, 2022

I've been using Trados on a daily basis. Despite numerous problems, I've learned my way around it and I can say I am comfortable using it except the QA which becomes a pain in the air when the project has around 10,000 units.

This year a client kind of insisted (in the form of recommending) that instead of using their MemoQ license, I should buy my own with a special discount granted to their service providers, which I did. But I don't get many MemoQ projects very often now.
... See more
I've been using Trados on a daily basis. Despite numerous problems, I've learned my way around it and I can say I am comfortable using it except the QA which becomes a pain in the air when the project has around 10,000 units.

This year a client kind of insisted (in the form of recommending) that instead of using their MemoQ license, I should buy my own with a special discount granted to their service providers, which I did. But I don't get many MemoQ projects very often now. Money-wise, I am not complaining but I haven't gotten used to it. The interface is horrible to me (I know I am not objective). And the QA brings up many false-positive errors.

I use Memsource and MateCat very seldom, and I love them. Especially Memsource. If it was my choice, I would go with Memsource. It handles large files smoothly and the memories function very effectively. Also they run on a browser, thus eliminating the dependency on the operating system (you know which). The use of desktop applications I believe is out-of-date as well as the mentality of the software companies creating those OS-dependent CAT tools.
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:55
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
6 Aug 6, 2022

Yes, six, although I have preferences ...

Alex Lichanow
Alex Lichanow
Germany
Local time: 13:55
Member (2020)
English to German
+ ...
4 Aug 8, 2022

Trados Studio, memoQ, WordFast Pro and Memsource depending on each client's requirements. I also ditched quite a number of CAT tools (mostly online/cloud-based ones) for being a complete waste of programming effort, most of all XTM and Across - tools that actually managed to make me angry.

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
2+ Aug 8, 2022

Trados and DVX3 I have on my PC + lots of online tools my customers work with (cannot tell how many exactly; more than 5, less than 10).

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 12:55
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
One is enough for me Aug 8, 2022

One is enough for me.
However, I use more regularly three CAT tools, but I have no problem working with different ones.
I just don't like or work with online tools (so far, the web-based CAT tool I liked to work with was Wordfast Anywhere).
Please don't ask me to work with POedit, Smartling, MateCat and similar ones.

[Edited at 2022-08-08 15:55 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many CAT tools do you use?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »