Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many languages do you speak, read or understand OTHER THAN your working languages?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Sofia Gutkin
Sofia Gutkin  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 03:46
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Just 1...Latin doesn't count! Jan 3, 2018

I have been learning Swedish for the past few years, but it's not yet good enough to be a working language, and I'm not sure if I'll ever use it in my work since I'm learning it for fun.

I studied Latin for 3 years in high school but I can't remember a thing! I'm surprised that several people here count Latin as one of the languages because mine evaporated as soon as high school was finished.

I picked up basic Hebrew when I lived in Israel for a year but I didn't count
... See more
I have been learning Swedish for the past few years, but it's not yet good enough to be a working language, and I'm not sure if I'll ever use it in my work since I'm learning it for fun.

I studied Latin for 3 years in high school but I can't remember a thing! I'm surprised that several people here count Latin as one of the languages because mine evaporated as soon as high school was finished.

I picked up basic Hebrew when I lived in Israel for a year but I didn't count it in this poll since it's at a very basic level. Maybe I should have since it's amazing how well I got around in Israel with so little Hebrew.
Collapse

Mateus Gomes
Mateus Gomes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
How many languages do you speak OTHER THAN your working languages? Jan 4, 2018

"2"

Having been working, as the colleague Mr Lamensdorf, in both ways as a translator EN>BRPT and BRPT>EN, the latter by force of demands, I came to believe I should improve my professional skills to do the same for interpreting, not only translation.

In the meantime, I happened to study a bit of German at univ (which didn't take due to being already too involved with the next languages) and French (with a better outcome, having come to teaching basic level classes) and
... See more
"2"

Having been working, as the colleague Mr Lamensdorf, in both ways as a translator EN>BRPT and BRPT>EN, the latter by force of demands, I came to believe I should improve my professional skills to do the same for interpreting, not only translation.

In the meantime, I happened to study a bit of German at univ (which didn't take due to being already too involved with the next languages) and French (with a better outcome, having come to teaching basic level classes) and ended learning Spanish by osmosis, though in a lower-than-functional level...even to become a C language; only useful for sparse communication on the streets if need be.
Collapse

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 03:46
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Polish... Jan 4, 2018

which is very sad because many years ago I actually started as a Polish into Russian translator. Unfortunately, the rates in this pair are simply unsustainable, and as a result I only speak Polish with my friends.
I also understand Norwegian (I work with Danish and Swedish) but since I've never formally studied it, I do not feel comfortable with using it professionally.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Two Jan 6, 2018

I'm fluent in Portuguese and English
With a pretty good level in Spanish and French, I am able to communicate and understand pretty much the languages, and I have actually done a few shore translations in these languages upon client requests, although I do not work with these pairs.
I would not die of hunger in German and Arabic speaking countries, as I know the basics to communicate, ask basic questions or order a sandwich.

Wellington Lima
Wellington Lima
Brazil
English to Portuguese
1 Jan 11, 2018

I can read Japanese, and I can speak a little bit of Japanese, but my speaking skill is not too good in Japanese, my reading skill in Japanese is better.

[Edited at 2018-01-11 11:42 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many languages do you speak, read or understand OTHER THAN your working languages?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »