Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many languages are spoken in your household?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 22:16
English to German
0-3 Jan 10, 2018

Mileage varies between silence, German, English, and squirrel (not always in that order).

Becoming fluent in Franglais is one of my life goals, but I'll need to achieve it outside my immediate environment. Which is a pity.

I used to be bilingual Microsoftish / gutter German, but somehow that got lost in the sands of time.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It varies Jan 10, 2018

Zero? Not here! My husband goes around talking to his 'cousin' all the time if there is no one else to talk to. He has a couple of dozen cousins around the Northern Hemisphere, but no one has ever seen this one... Conversations go on in Danish, also with me.

We speak English most days too, and comment in German if we watch German television. We speak Danish and English if our son calls - his girlfriend is Italian and does not understand much Danish. We are trying to learn some Itali
... See more
Zero? Not here! My husband goes around talking to his 'cousin' all the time if there is no one else to talk to. He has a couple of dozen cousins around the Northern Hemisphere, but no one has ever seen this one... Conversations go on in Danish, also with me.

We speak English most days too, and comment in German if we watch German television. We speak Danish and English if our son calls - his girlfriend is Italian and does not understand much Danish. We are trying to learn some Italian, so we speak a smattering of that, if you count our efforts with lessons.

We have a Swedish sister-in-law who visits several times a year and speaks Swedish. Her children are speak Danish to us and Swedish among themselves. We clarify in English or German if necessary.

The Norwegian branch of the family still speak Danish, and I have trouble with spoken Norwegian... and we speak English or a little German to the cousins from Switzerland, and English with the American contingent, unless they want to practise their Danish... Nobody actually speaks Japanese, although a couple of the cousins can...

My side of the family speak English: Estuary, Yorkshire and beautiful Paisley Scottish... And you can hear where the Aussies come from. None of them visit us often enough!

That must be something like four languages regularly, working on a fifth.

[Edited at 2018-01-10 18:13 GMT]
Collapse

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
plus regional variety Jan 10, 2018

Christine reminded me that our English is often a Scottish variety which is rapidly being picked up by the Austrian and Romanian family members!

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
I Live Alone, Too... Jan 10, 2018

...but I sometimes free associate out loud in Spanish, French, and Italian (and of course in my native language, American English). That helps me keep the foreign ones alive, so I will be able to interact, as fluently as I can, every time I go over to Europe and the UK as the guest of clients and colleagues. I also often read the foreign ones out loud whenever I am studying any aspect or aspects of them in textbooks or online courses.

I seem to have chosen, among other things relat
... See more
...but I sometimes free associate out loud in Spanish, French, and Italian (and of course in my native language, American English). That helps me keep the foreign ones alive, so I will be able to interact, as fluently as I can, every time I go over to Europe and the UK as the guest of clients and colleagues. I also often read the foreign ones out loud whenever I am studying any aspect or aspects of them in textbooks or online courses.

I seem to have chosen, among other things related to my languages and other subject matter, to be a life-long learner.
Collapse

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 06:16
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Two Jan 10, 2018

Danish and English on a daily basis. English is primarily reserved for our son, his Danish is quite rusty.

I also speak Russian, Ukrainian and Polish with parents and friends but it does not happen every day:).

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:16
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Zero Jan 11, 2018

Lol, the option zero is fair because it incluse all households where everyone is mute. Wait! But they do have a communication sytem with their hands, therefore a language.
Unbelievable!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many languages are spoken in your household?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »