صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: How often do you use DeepL or other machine translation tools?
ناشر الموضوع: ProZ.com Staff
Rita Utt
Rita Utt  Identity Verified
فرنسا
Local time: 01:04
أنجليزي إلى ألماني
+ ...
Sentence by sentence or chunks May 11, 2022

[quote]neilmac wrote:

" I never just run a whole document through it, which some people are apparently quite happy to do with DeepL. Instead, I use it sentence by sentence, or in chunks, and compare the MT result with my own translation."

I think that is the point. DeepL translations need very thorough revision and to revise a whol DeepL translation seems much too risky for me.

Roy Williams

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
بلجيكا
عضو (2020)
فرنسي إلى هولندي
+ ...
Give it a chance. May 11, 2022

Rita Utt wrote:

I think that is the point. DeepL translations need very thorough revision and to revise a whol DeepL translation seems much too risky for me.

Give it a chance. You'll have to get used to it, but I'm pretty sure that after a while you'll notice that a thorough revision of an MT text takes (way) less time than a manual translation. In my experience it's really not harder or more dangerous to identify and correct MT generated translation errors. There are suprisingly few translation errors and if there are any they are rather easy to identify by experienced translators.

expressisverbis
Philip Lees
Stepan Konev

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
فرنسا
فرنسي إلى أنجليزي
. May 11, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

Lieven Malaise wrote:
Let's not forget that a lot of source texts are of bad quality. MT is not miraculously going to translate that (more or less) correctly.

A human translator will.

Only the good ones. Not those who recommend GIGO strategies.

This morning I finished up the translation of a very interesting text about growing and harvesting an exotic plant used in perfume and for medicinal purposes. It was poorly written in French, stating "This plant is also used for X" right at the beginning of the paragraph on the various uses, and there were several unrelated (albeit interesting and important) sentences in between the description of a process and the reasons for doing it that way. So I rearranged all the information into a more logical order, cutting out needless repetitions in the process. I explained in a note that it would appeal more to the mindset of native English speakers like that, just in case the client got upset at not being able to recognise their text.

On another recent occasion, my client was delighted that I researched everything thoroughly and was able to point out spelling mistakes in the names of several journalists, and also highlight a couple of factual errors. She immediately contacted the printer to change the mistakes in the source text and was very grateful that I pointed them out. Quality matters to her, but in a 60-page document, some mistakes can sometimes still slip through.

This is all stuff that machine translation cannot handle.

Now, I suppose I could run that text through DeepL or whatever and then do all that while revising the machine translation. However, while I'm churning out my draft, I'm also making mental notes that "this doesn't make sense in French" and "this is chaotic, I might need to reorganise all this info" and "hmm I thought there was a double M in that name", so I'm prepared to deal with it once I start cleaning up the draft.

Christopher Schröder
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Mr. Satan (X)
Tom in London

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
تركيا
Local time: 02:04
عضو
أنجليزي إلى تركي
Deeply disappointed May 11, 2022

I just checked out that celebrated DeepL and saw that Turkish was not among the languages. What is this discrimination? Is it because we are a backward country? I'm deeply offended by being discriminated in this manner and I resent being excluded from the 'future' and denied the opportunity of being 'as fast as possible by the time most of the job offers will be MTPE'.
It really bothers me that I won't be getting those MTPE jobs and be forever condemned to being a 'Luddite' because Europe
... See more
I just checked out that celebrated DeepL and saw that Turkish was not among the languages. What is this discrimination? Is it because we are a backward country? I'm deeply offended by being discriminated in this manner and I resent being excluded from the 'future' and denied the opportunity of being 'as fast as possible by the time most of the job offers will be MTPE'.
It really bothers me that I won't be getting those MTPE jobs and be forever condemned to being a 'Luddite' because Europeans don't deem my language worthy enough to be added to their super-duper MT program/software/gadget/gizmo/whatever. Shame on you lot!
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis
Mr. Satan (X)
Philippe Etienne

Roy Williams
Roy Williams  Identity Verified
النمسا
ألماني إلى أنجليزي
Try the developers May 11, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

It really bothers me that I won't be getting those MTPE jobs and be forever condemned to being a 'Luddite' because Europeans don't deem my language worthy enough to be added to their super-duper MT program/software/gadget/gizmo/whatever. Shame on you lot!

If you're serious (not just being sarcastic), you should write to the developers. I'm sure they'll be continuously adding languages over time. I'm actually surprised that Turkish isn't included, considering the large number of Turkish communities in both Germany and Austria.

Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis

Baran Keki
تركيا
عضو
أنجليزي إلى تركي
Will do May 11, 2022

Roy Williams wrote:
If you're serious (not just being sarcastic), you should write to the developers. I'm sure they'll be continuously adding languages over time. I'm actually surprised that Turkish isn't included, considering the large number of Turkish communities in both Germany and Austria.

I can't wait to get my hands on those 1-2 cents per word MTPE jobs and churn out 6k words a day, and make a killing. But, at the moment my pride is hurt, I'll give it a few days before contacting the developers and then hasten the demise of the Turkish Luddites (let them die!) as you suggested.
Thanks!

Matthias Brombach
Christopher Schröder
Mr. Satan (X)

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
ألمانيا
عضو (2007)
هولندي إلى ألماني
+ ...
I've heard ... May 11, 2022

... that they try the exchange between Turkish and Kurdish first (and vice versa). Only when these languages successfully run with each other, both of them will be implemented into DeepL.

[Bearbeitet am 2022-05-11 15:07 GMT]

Baran Keki

Baran Keki
تركيا
عضو
أنجليزي إلى تركي
Well... May 11, 2022

Matthias Brombach wrote:

... that they try the exchange between Turkish and Kurdish first (and vice versa). Only when these languages successfully run with each other, both of them will be implemented into DeepL.

[Bearbeitet am 2022-05-11 15:07 GMT]

Kurdish was (un)officially banned in Turkey for decades, I see no reason why it shouldn't be banned again if this means our beloved language will be added to DeepL and my future will be secured with MTPE jobs. To hell with Kurdish!

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
البرتغال
Local time: 00:04
عضو (2015)
أنجليزي إلى برتغالي
+ ...
And more languages May 11, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

I just checked out that celebrated DeepL and saw that Turkish was not among the languages. What is this discrimination? Is it because we are a backward country?

What about Arabic and Hebrew? I don't think it's "discrimination", I believe DeepL developers need to improve more these languages. Who knows if they already are working on that?
Ukrainian and Icelandic, for example, are missing too, and more.

Jorge Payan
Dominique Cook

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
بلجيكا
عضو (2020)
فرنسي إلى هولندي
+ ...
A poor man's job? May 11, 2022

Baran Keki
I can't wait to get my hands on those 1-2 cents per word MTPE jobs and churn out 6k words a day, and make a killing.

My MTPE rate consists of 75% of my translation rate, while my translation speed has more than doubled. You do the math.

Have a nice day.

Jorge Payan
Stepan Konev

Baran Keki
تركيا
عضو
أنجليزي إلى تركي
Good job then! May 11, 2022

Lieven Malaise wrote:

My MTPE rate consists of 75% of my translation rate, while my translation speed has more than doubled. You do the math.

Have a nice day.

More power to your elbow, or rather to the algorithms of DeepL!
One thing I've noticed about the advocates of Machine Translation is that they get very defensive, testy and downright irate when the subject of rates is broached in relation with MT. I wonder why that is... Is it because they're feeling the pressure? The knowledge that time is running out for them? That it's just a matter of time before the jaw-droppingly awesome DeepL becomes even more awesome and puts them out of business for good?

Evening Ma'am!

Matthias Brombach
Mr. Satan (X)

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
بلجيكا
عضو (2020)
فرنسي إلى هولندي
+ ...
What pressure? May 11, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

More power to your elbow, or rather to the algorithms of DeepL!
One thing I've noticed about the advocates of Machine Translation is that they get very defensive, testy and downright irate when the subject of rates is broached in relation with MT. I wonder why that is... Is it because they're feeling the pressure? The knowledge that time is running out for them? That it's just a matter of time before the jaw-droppingly awesome DeepL becomes even more awesome and puts them out of business for good?

Evening Ma'am!

What's defensive or irate about saying that MTPE doesn't lower my profitability? You seem to think MTPE is a financial race to the bottom, while in reality I break turnover record after turnover record. So I'm not sure what pressure you are exactly talking about. But that's fine, you do you.

And it's 'sir', but okay, any letter of the alphabet will do.

Have a nice evening.

expressisverbis
Stepan Konev

Baran Keki
تركيا
عضو
أنجليزي إلى تركي
Whoops! May 11, 2022

Lieven Malaise wrote:

And it's 'sir', but okay, any letter of the alphabet will do.

Have a nice evening.

Sorry about that! Should've Googled your name first...

expressisverbis

Roy Williams
Roy Williams  Identity Verified
النمسا
ألماني إلى أنجليزي
Sarcasm aside... May 12, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:

Roy Williams wrote:

I can't wait to get my hands on those 1-2 cents per word MTPE jobs and churn out 6k words a day, and make a killing. But, at the moment my pride is hurt, I'll give it a few days before contacting the developers and then hasten the demise of the Turkish Luddites (let them die!) as you suggested.
Thanks!

Just because those jobs exist, it doesn't obligate you to take them. DeepL is nothing more than another tool, which if used correctly can be helpful. And if you're going to do MTPE, it's best to charge by the hour at a rate worth your time. Anyone who actually cares about the content they put out will be willing to pay.

expressisverbis

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 19:04
عضو (2005)
أنجليزي إلى صيني
+ ...
The math is May 12, 2022

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Baran Keki
I can't wait to get my hands on those 1-2 cents per word MTPE jobs and churn out 6k words a day, and make a killing.

Have a nice day.

It would be even better if your MTPE rate is equal to your regular translation rate, while your translation speed has more than doubled.

I personally haven't seen any MTPE job with which I can work much faster.

[Edited at 2022-05-12 12:13 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)

صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

مشرفو هذا المنتدى
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you use DeepL or other machine translation tools?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »