Unusual editing
Inițiatorul discuției: Gisela Greenlee
Gisela Greenlee
Gisela Greenlee  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:20
din germană în engleză
+ ...
Aug 22, 2011

I received an unusual comment about a recent translation and wanted to ask if anyone else has come across this before. The editor noted that I did not change the German address information to the US format, in other words I left "Hanswurststr. 21, 99999 Teufelsheim", instead of changing it to "21 Hanswurststr., Teufelsheim 99999". Huh? I have never ever changed a local address, since you would of course need it in the correct format for mailing, and I plainly don't see what the value would be in... See more
I received an unusual comment about a recent translation and wanted to ask if anyone else has come across this before. The editor noted that I did not change the German address information to the US format, in other words I left "Hanswurststr. 21, 99999 Teufelsheim", instead of changing it to "21 Hanswurststr., Teufelsheim 99999". Huh? I have never ever changed a local address, since you would of course need it in the correct format for mailing, and I plainly don't see what the value would be in changing it, other than potential confusion.
Any thoughts on this matter?
Collapse

Nora Escoms
Nora Escoms  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:20
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
You're right, of course Aug 22, 2011

Address format should not be changed. This looks like a case of over-zealous editing to me, or maybe your editor is not proficient enough to be doing that job! I would write to them and explain that's how it's supposed to be.

Good luck!

Nora

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germania
Local time: 23:20
Membru (2006)
din olandeză în germană
+ ...
Address information shouldn't be changed Aug 22, 2011

I think you're right: address information indeed shouldn't be changed, unless it is vital that the reader actually understand the address (imagine the - admittedly hypothetical - example of running text in a tourist guide, where the reader is directed to a certain premises).

In all cases where the address just serves as a postal address, it shouldn't be changed. If in doubt - leave it unchanged.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spania
Local time: 22:20
Membru (2007)
engleză
+ ...
They're not doing their job Aug 22, 2011

Nora Escoms wrote:
Address format should not be changed. This looks like a case of over-zealous editing to me

Everyone knows it should be "Sausage John Street" in American

JH Trads
JH Trads  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
Local time: 17:20
Membru (2007)
din engleză în franceză
+ ...
you are right Aug 22, 2011

this is an example of an editor's worst sin: scratching out a good rendering and replacing it by a wrong one. The second worst sin: of course, not spotting a mistranslation. Cheers!

[Edited at 2011-08-22 19:44 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
Local time: 14:20
din engleză în germană
+ ...
In Memoriam
Never change the format Aug 22, 2011

Addresses are scanned by computers. Any garbled format will create an error, the letter or parcel then needs to be hand-cancelled and it will arrive late.

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
Think of the postman! Aug 23, 2011

I'm reading Nicole's post and laughing because in my part of the world, what we would say is "Think of the postman!" In any case, it's the same idea: make it easy for whoever/whatever has to handle it at the receiving end, leave it as they are used to seeing.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:20
Membru (2003)
din franceză în italiană
+ ...
Absolutely... Aug 23, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Addresses are scanned by computers. Any garbled format will create an error, the letter or parcel then needs to be hand-cancelled and it will arrive late.

Right!

Gisela Greenlee
Gisela Greenlee  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:20
din germană în engleză
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Thanks Aug 24, 2011

for confirming that we don't change the address format when translating a document. That was probably the most unusual editor's comment I've ever received. I did let the agency know that this was definitely not correct, so hopefully they passed the information on to the editor.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unusual editing

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »