Randa Farhat
Randa Farhat  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 19:13
English to Arabic
+ ...
May 4, 2004

Dear ProZ,
On three occasions I answered a question on KudoZ and this message was shown by the system: "Your IP is similar to the Asker's. Moderator will be informed".
I emailed the moderator to bring his attention to this and because I am NOT the Asker, I am the Answerer. I do not know who the asker is but I know this can happen if he/she is in the same country and subscribing to the same Internet Service Provider. My local IP gives subscribers one public IP route or number. I am n
... See more
Dear ProZ,
On three occasions I answered a question on KudoZ and this message was shown by the system: "Your IP is similar to the Asker's. Moderator will be informed".
I emailed the moderator to bring his attention to this and because I am NOT the Asker, I am the Answerer. I do not know who the asker is but I know this can happen if he/she is in the same country and subscribing to the same Internet Service Provider. My local IP gives subscribers one public IP route or number. I am not much aware of technical things. Just wanted to confirm that I am who I am! This leaves a bad impression!
Any way, I just found that the moderator had already deleted the questions! I happened to be in the same place at the same time.. same country (maybe), same website (proz), same time (around 12:20 GMT). whatelse or howelse can I prove that?!
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:13
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
KudoZ squashed for repetition May 4, 2004

Hi,

The two KudoZ were squashed because they were a repetition (= same KudoZ posted twice). This is what I can read.

The fact that the IP numbers of asker and answerer are one and the same doesn't mean necessarily that asker and answerer are the same person.

Please contact your language pair moderator privately for further explanation.

Giuliana

[Edited at 2004-05-04 12:56]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:13
English to German
+ ...
Questions were not squashed because of IP data May 4, 2004

Hi Kalila,

This is a standard systems reaction which, in itself, does not trigger any reaction.

I emailed the moderator to bring his attention to this and because I am NOT the Asker, I am the Answerer. I do not know who the asker is but I know this can happen if he/she is in the same country and subscribing to the same Internet Service Provider. My local IP gives subscribers one public IP route or number. I am not much aware of technical things. Just wanted to confirm that I am who I am! This leaves a bad impression!

Not at all.
There have been cases where askers answered their own questions - the IP is but one of the parameters moderators and site staff look at, never the exclusive indicator.

Any way, I just found that the moderator had already deleted the questions!

Not quite. I had a quick look at your profile: the two most recently squashed questions were not squashed by a moderator, but by another member, because they were repetitions - nothing whatsoever to do with yourself.

I happened to be in the same place at the same time.. same country (maybe), same website (proz), same time (around 12:20 GMT). whatelse or howelse can I prove that?!

There's no need to do anything. If a moderator perceives a problem, he or she will contact you - but that doesn't appear to be the case here.

Hope that clarifies it.

Best regards, Ralf

Randa Farhat
Randa Farhat  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 19:13
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 4, 2004

Thank you Giuliana and Ralf! Your explanations clarified it all. I had no idea about repetitions or squashing.
My best regards!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Similar IP - Question & Answer Deleted

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »