Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Announcing the Justin Chlebus Memorial Scholarship program
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 11:50
SITE FOUNDER
Sep 2, 2008

It has now been one year since ProZ.com staff member Justin Chlebus passed away. He had just turned 22.

Many of you will remember the subsequent outpouring of sympathy in the forums from ProZ.com members, many of whom had been touched by Justin in the course of his work. Despite his young age, Justin was a key member of the early ProZ.com team, serving as a programmer and systems administrator, and also in other rol
... See more
It has now been one year since ProZ.com staff member Justin Chlebus passed away. He had just turned 22.

Many of you will remember the subsequent outpouring of sympathy in the forums from ProZ.com members, many of whom had been touched by Justin in the course of his work. Despite his young age, Justin was a key member of the early ProZ.com team, serving as a programmer and systems administrator, and also in other roles. In fact, he was a phenomenal talent and person. Not only did he do a lot, he taught a lot to the rest of the team. Much of what we enjoy today as a ProZ.com community we owe to Justin.

Now, in honor of Justin's life and on the occasion of his birthday, a scholarship program is being created: the Justin Chlebus Memorial Scholarship.

The Justin Chlebus Memorial Scholarship program is intended to provide, annually, an opportunity for a select young person to spend a year studying abroad. It is envisioned that each year, a call will go out through ProZ.com for applications, and a committee (including members) will select a young man or woman, in college or having just completed it, who is talented in some field and who also has a passion for understanding a new culture and learning a new language--as Justin did.

In the spirit of the community that Justin helped to bring together, children of ProZ.com members, and also young members of our community, will be encouraged to apply. Applications will also be accepted from people outside of ProZ.com. (The program will not be limited to those interested in translation.)

The scholarship program was kicked off this weekend with an in-person event among Justin's friends and family in Syracuse. This event was first and foremost a celebration of Justin's life among the people who knew and loved him. It also served as the start of fund-raising efforts for the scholarship program. Several thousand US dollars were raised toward the fund.

More information about the program, and the possibility to donate, is available via this page: http://www.proz.com/justin-chlebus-memorial-scholarship For now, donations are being accepted only via Paypal.

Your generosity in memory of the great person we have lost, and for the promising young people that the scholarship will hopefully touch, will be appreciated.
Collapse

Mirella Soffio
Mirella Soffio  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:50
English to Italian
+ ...
Excellent idea, Henry! Sep 2, 2008

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Now that's a worthy cause! Sep 2, 2008

Justin, I remember you.

Jane

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
A wonderful tribute Sep 2, 2008

What a fitting tribute to Justin.

[Edited at 2008-09-02 15:13]

Veronica Manole (X)
Veronica Manole (X)
Romania
Local time: 18:50
Portuguese to Romanian
+ ...
Great tribute! Sep 2, 2008

This initiative makes all the difference between ProZ and any other on-line translators` community! I will tell my students about it.

Regards,
Veronica

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I was wondering this very week... Sep 2, 2008

what, if anything would be done in memory of Justin's passing a year ago.

- Great idea, Henry.

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
great Sep 2, 2008

good spirit lives on. Thanks for the initiative.

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:50
Japanese to English
This is wonderful! Sep 3, 2008

I had also been wondering.
By the way, was there any news of the friend of Jason's who was also injured in the same accident? I know he was hospitalized with serious injuries, but has he made a full recovery? If anyone knows (Proz.com staff?), could you please give us an update?
TIA.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, everyone Sep 3, 2008

Thank you, everyone, for your warm reception of this idea, and for your contributions. The quick response to this initiative si encouraging; we are looking forward to the day that the program's first scholar reports back from abroad.

At this point, I should introduce ProZ.com staff member Mary Margaret O'Hara ("Maggie"). Maggie joined the company in April, in Syracuse, and she has taken on the role of coordinator of this scholarship effort. You'll see postings from her from time to
... See more
Thank you, everyone, for your warm reception of this idea, and for your contributions. The quick response to this initiative si encouraging; we are looking forward to the day that the program's first scholar reports back from abroad.

At this point, I should introduce ProZ.com staff member Mary Margaret O'Hara ("Maggie"). Maggie joined the company in April, in Syracuse, and she has taken on the role of coordinator of this scholarship effort. You'll see postings from her from time to time in relation to this program. (She did a great job with the event here this past weekend!)

To answer KathyT: Justin's friend Mark was at the event this weekend and is doing well. I told him it was great to see him, and in response, he said with particular enthusiasm that it was great to be there.
Collapse

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:50
Japanese to English
Thanks for the update, Henry. Sep 3, 2008

I'm very pleased to hear that Mark is doing so well.
...and a big welcome to Maggie
I look forward to hearing more in the weeks ahead

Andrej
Andrej  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:50
Member (2005)
German to Russian
+ ...
Moneybookers Sep 3, 2008

Hello Henry,

it's a nice and generous idea indeed! But please consider those of us who haven't the possibility to use PayPal (Russia, Ukraine and many other countries). Is it possible to integrate Moneybookers to allow translators from these countries to contribute in this program?

Humberto Ribas
Humberto Ribas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:50
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Justin Sep 3, 2008

Thanks for reminding me

xxxLively Wo (X)
xxxLively Wo (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you for your generosity and support Sep 3, 2008

Thanks for your warm welcome KathyT and thank to all of you for your generosity and support on this great tribute to Justin.

Maggie

xxxLively Wo (X)
xxxLively Wo (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Contributions now accepted via Moneybookers Sep 3, 2008

Andrej wrote:

Hello Henry,

it's a nice and generous idea indeed! But please consider those of us who haven't the possibility to use PayPal (Russia, Ukraine and many other countries). Is it possible to integrate Moneybookers to allow translators from these countries to contribute in this program?

Great suggestion Andrej, thanks for that. There is now a link on the page where donations will be accepted http://www.proz.com/justin-chlebus-memorial-scholarship to an account with moneybookers.

Maggie

josephmutti
josephmutti
Local time: 08:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why just college students? Sep 3, 2008

I think the scholarship is a wonderful way to celebrate someone's life, but why confine its award to college students? There are so many deserving young people unable to afford a university education.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing the Justin Chlebus Memorial Scholarship program

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »