Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:42
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Missing the point? Jun 27, 2011

Natalia Mackevich wrote:

Easy, guys, it's a brand new feature, don't expect that there will be no issues at all. Give it some time. Besides, in most similar cases sites offering printing services are not associated with the customer (as I understand, in this case ProZ is merely a customer of this CafePress company, isn't it?).

I think you are slightly missing the point raised by Madeleine, which is that such occurrences should/could be avoided beforehand by entering into a related agreement with the third-party provider.

Steffen

Dave Bindon
Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 06:42
Greek to English
In memoriam
Comments Jun 27, 2011

The site is terrible. There doesn't appear to be a language option. If one clicks the GBP link, the title briefly becomes English and EUR becomes £ (but the prices remain the same) and then, a second later, it switches back to German.

Who on earth is the merchandise aimed at? The mugs and mousemats might make nice gifts for Proz to give to lapsed outsourcers as a marketing ploy. But I can't really imagine why anyone would want a
... See more
The site is terrible. There doesn't appear to be a language option. If one clicks the GBP link, the title briefly becomes English and EUR becomes £ (but the prices remain the same) and then, a second later, it switches back to German.

Who on earth is the merchandise aimed at? The mugs and mousemats might make nice gifts for Proz to give to lapsed outsourcers as a marketing ploy. But I can't really imagine why anyone would want a pair of Proz.com boxer shorts!

If the items were fun in some way (e.g. funny translation-related slogans) with the Proz.com logo as a small, additional feature then I could understand. But why any member would want to pay to give Proz free advertising is beyond me.
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:42
French to English
You could get arrested Jun 28, 2011

Dave Bindon wrote:

But I can't really imagine why anyone would want a pair of Proz.com boxer shorts!

(...)But why any member would want to pay to give Proz free advertising is beyond me.

I don't want to be anywhere near anyone who is giving proz free advertising via their boxer shorts, thanks all the same.

I assume the boxers are therefore meant to represent the fun ethos we hear so much about, since they cannot be used as advertising without the risk of arrest.

There's probably a "proz member" gag straining to poke its head out into the open somewhere in here, but I haven't the time to rummage for it.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:42
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Charlie! Jun 28, 2011

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Dave Bindon wrote:

But I can't really imagine why anyone would want a pair of Proz.com boxer shorts!

(...)But why any member would want to pay to give Proz free advertising is beyond me.

I don't want to be anywhere near anyone who is giving proz free advertising via their boxer shorts, thanks all the same.

I assume the boxers are therefore meant to represent the fun ethos we hear so much about, since they cannot be used as advertising without the risk of arrest.

There's probably a "proz member" gag straining to poke its head out into the open somewhere in here, but I haven't the time to rummage for it.

What is wrong with the boxer shorts? I admit that I do have moments when I wouldn't mind toilet paper with the word "translation" printed on it...

Also, you are indeed not supposed to rummage in other peoples clothing at random to check out their underwear.

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
ProZ.com is the bassfan.com of translation (original quote Henry) Jun 28, 2011

What a great idea to have a Proz giftshop.
Congrats. Exactly what we needed. To be honest, who could wish more than a giftshop or a playground from a "professional translation" workspace.

Since the long announced overhaul of GBK, Kudoz, Blue Board etc. never happened and the corporate profile pages still do not allow even the same functionality as the freelancer profile pages, the gift shop is really what we needed.

I mean every website on bass fishing has a gift
... See more
What a great idea to have a Proz giftshop.
Congrats. Exactly what we needed. To be honest, who could wish more than a giftshop or a playground from a "professional translation" workspace.

Since the long announced overhaul of GBK, Kudoz, Blue Board etc. never happened and the corporate profile pages still do not allow even the same functionality as the freelancer profile pages, the gift shop is really what we needed.

I mean every website on bass fishing has a giftshop too, doesn't it?

What's next?

Some inspirations from "bassfan.com:
- Join the Proz-Army (perhaps already implemented in form of the red P/hering)
- Catch more Fish
- Proz Radio (already in the make with the podcasts)
- Proz TV
- Win a Trip with .... (enter your favorite Proz staff member)
Collapse

Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 00:42
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
GREAT IDEA Jul 2, 2011

This is just the kickoff. The e-gift shop will gradually improve, but the idea in itself is great.

: )

Joel Pina Diaz
Joel Pina Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Cooooool! Jul 10, 2011

Great! Marketing finally helps everybody, call for volunteers to get a better translation of the site if necessary. When will be possible to have a discount using Kudos, haaa!!
Thank you Proz.com I really appreciate it. I already order few stuff for my bodies!

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:42
German to English
+ ...
Any truth in the rumour... Jul 11, 2011

That if you buy an item that's 100% identical to an item you've bought before there's no charge ?

[Edited at 2011-07-11 08:28 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
You mean... Jul 11, 2011

100% matches?

Richard Foulkes wrote:

That if you buy an item that's 100% identical to an item you've bought before there's no charge ?

[Edited at 2011-07-11 08:28 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing the ProZ.com gift shop

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »